HELP---I need your opinions on this list of SAWS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude... is a mere 1.23609112 pounds really gonna make that much difference to a firewood cutter??? You have listed a lot of good saws. Go for the one that feels good in your hands.

All the specs and weights on paper don't mean jack squat until you put it in some wood. Trust me... any saw feels heavy at the end of the work day.

You're cuttin' a lot of wood... I too would go for a Husqvarna 372, Stihl MS361 or MS440, or a Dolmar 6401 or 7900.

Gary

JMHO... having owned or used pretty much every saw on your list...

Husky 346XP with 16" bar and .325 chain will keep that rig light and fast, and really... will do pretty much everything you'll need. Don't inundate yourself with a very long bar just to get some extra "reach"... roll the darn thing over!

Bigger wood? 24" bar, and .325 skip.

AND DON'T FORGET TO GET SAW CHAPS.

:rock:

Last edited:

Thanks for YOUR input.....I have looked at that, on pics and paper...And like the specs and SPEED of it and at only 10+lbs....Some have told me it's a limbing saw, how did it make the list for firewood? And other have said that "you want a 3/8" pitch chain, easier to maintain and sharpen etc..which the 346 doesn't offer...16" chain, hmmm something to think about...Been using my friends 455 husky , 20 inches, 3/8" pitch...It's the sharp chain that makes the difference I find....

What do you think??

And yes, I'm a big fan of rolling them over ! lol

Husky 346XP with 16" bar and .325 chain will keep that rig light and fast, and really... will do pretty much everything you'll need. Don't inundate yourself with a very long bar just to get some extra "reach"... roll the darn thing over!

Thanks for YOUR input.....I have looked at that, on pics and paper...And like the specs and SPEED of it and at only 10+lbs....Some have told me it's a limbing saw, how did it make the list for firewood? And other have said that "you want a 3/8" pitch chain, easier to maintain and sharpen etc..which the 346 doesn't offer...16" chain, hmmm something to think about...Been using my friends 455 husky , 20 inches, 3/8" pitch...It's the sharp chain that makes the difference I find....

What do you think??

Comparing the 359 and 346, around the same price,

346xp 45cc 3.4hp 2.5k/W 3.3/3.4 vibration 10.5 lbs
versus
359 59cc 3.5hp 2.9k/W 3.9/4.2 vibration 12.1 lbs

Looks like much higher vibration, of course bigger saw, more power etc

Strictly speaking, you can cut firewood with an Echo cs3000 if the chain is sharp.

But really, the 346- while used as a limbing saw 'cuz it's light and powerful- is plenty of saw for firewood. Keep the chain sharp, properly tensioned, and you'll have no worries. I have bucked the odd 30" oak log with mine, with nary a complaint from the machine.

Do a few cords with a 55 and then a few with the 346xp. You'll never touch the 55 again. And the 346 will stand up to the use better, too.

30-40 cord? Try 3 or 4 hundred... a year!

:chainsaw:

FYI, I don't know where one would get that 3/8 is easier to maintain or sharpen than .325... that's just plain silly.

Don't let the power numbers be your only guide, either. A 346XP (stock) will plow thru the same amount of wood alot faster than a 359. 14,500 rpm's versus 10,500 rpm's means more teeth are taking bites per second.

:popcorn:

your the type of person that I like chating with. 3-4 hundred a year..I will look throught the treads to see who told me about 3/8" being better to maintain. I know that the 346 says is real fast. Web quoted at 14500, the 359 is rated also at:

Cylinder displacement 3.6 cu.inch / 59.0 cm³
Power 3.9 hp / 2.9 kW
Maximum recommended engine speed 13 500 mm

I was told that is "no-load" speed...and the test is when the saw is cutting. Some dealers even said that they set up the machines not to run that fast anyway, for safety etc...which I could understand. I guess it comes down to shear HP when it is cutting..and of course the chain sharpness...
early on, I was really looking at the 346xp cause of the lightness and the speed, and being XP, I think being a pro model of Husky...And within range of $430 Thanks

What do you think??

dont listen to that limbing saw bs my 141 i got 2 years ago has been a good climbing saw and it has handled trees 24 inch more than once.

Go buy a 361, and you will be a happy man. I bought one for firewood and light duty stuff the first year it came out, gave it a try...Can't miss :rock: OH ya, the best anti-vibe set up ever.

Why don't I hear an Echo in here?

How about an Echo CS-520? Won't break the bank, and as long as you keep the chain right, and the gas mixed accordingly, it will rip tons of firewood for ya!

I guess that sometimes the saw you hear the least about on this forum is one of the best, since it's out cutting wood and not in the shop allowing the owner to come here and post...

/just sayin

2159 Jonsered

Norwalk may have the best price, but at least ask your
LSS if they can work with their price or ask them to match.
Try to keep your cash local.
Remember this, if your saw does go down and needs repair,
the LSS will remember you bought the saw there and not at Norwalk.
If its busy and you need a quick turnaround most LSS will work on saws they sold first then the other stuff.

DGDrls

Jonsered 2145
Pioneer FS2

i couldn't agree more!

Dude... is a mere 1.23609112 pounds really gonna make that much difference to a firewood cutter??? You have listed a lot of good saws. Go for the one that feels good in your hands.

All the specs and weights on paper don't mean jack squat until you put it in some wood. Trust me... any saw feels heavy at the end of the work day.

You're cuttin' a lot of wood... I too would go for a Husqvarna 372, Stihl MS361 or MS440, or a Dolmar 6401 or 7900.

Gary

good call Gary!

If you're cutting that much wood, spring for a good, professional grade, medium duty saw whatever you decide on.

I bucked down almost a whole white oak today, ~50" DBA and 100' tall with just my Stihl 440 and a 200T. That 440 went non-stop through 5 tanks of gas... and 3 sharpenings, without so much as a whimper.
My absolute favorite saw is the stihl 440 plenty of power and durability.

Finally, a decision

Hello, I know I was chatting with many from here and I appreciate all of it. I finally got a saw, a Stihl! Well, at a BIG flea market 2 blocks from my house there was a guy selling a Husky 350 and a Stihl 034AV Super...For a couple of weeks he had it. I checked around for info on the 034super. Found out it is indeed a Pro model and 62cc! It is used of course. Some wear, but bar and chain in good shape. It came with a Stihl OEM orange case too. He sold it to me for $180 for the saw and $20 for the case. $200 total. I ran it, runs real good. Didn't check compression yet though. I am planning on doing that. Seller said, if I have problems with it, he will take it back but I did cut a big log first and it plowed right through. No real bogging at all. Not like my friends Husky 455 ranch!

It does have a different style chain though. Looks like a different type of
anti-kickback? I just read in the Stihl book that it is a rescue chain. I will take it to a chainsaw place for them to look at. It is .325 which I wanted 3/8" pitch but hey, for $200 cash, can't go wrong...I'll let you guys know how it works...

If you have any info on a 034AV Super or thoughts , send them my way and to the others on the Arborsite, thanks again !!!!!!!! Kenny

Hello, I know I was chatting with many from here and I appreciate all of it. I finally got a saw, a Stihl! Well, at a BIG flea market 2 blocks from my house there was a guy selling a Husky 350 and a Stihl 034AV Super...For a couple of weeks he had it. I checked around for info on the 034super. Found out it is indeed a Pro model and 62cc! It is used of course. Some wear, but bar and chain in good shape. It came with a Stihl OEM orange case too. He sold it to me for $180 for the saw and $20 for the case. $200 total. I ran it, runs real good. Didn't check compression yet though. I am planning on doing that. Seller said, if I have problems with it, he will take it back but I did cut a big log first and it plowed right through. No real bogging at all. Not like my friends Husky 455 ranch!

It does have a different style chain though. Looks like a different type of
anti-kickback? I just read in the Stihl book that it is a rescue chain. I will take it to a chainsaw place for them to look at. It is .325 which I wanted 3/8" pitch but hey, for $200 cash, can't go wrong...I'll let you guys know how it works...

If you have any info on a 034AV Super or thoughts , send them my way and to the others on the Arborsite, thanks again !!!!!!!! Kenny

Do you mean the type of chain the fire fighters use on thier saws when you say rescue chain?

rescue chain

Hey, the chain looks like: OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Duro Rescue (RDR)

I went to the local Stihl dealer SAT, and of course they only carry 1 type of chain, OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ Comfort (RMC). They didn't seem that imformative?

That is what I thought it is at first...But now, after looking at stihlusa com, I think it is OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ 2 (RM2) , a low kick back chain... It has pieces in between the cutter.. like the Duro rescue

Any recommendations on a .325 chain to cut hard wood? Obviously, it doesn't have to be stihl..Thanks

Hey, the chain looks like: OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Duro Rescue (RDR)

I went to the local Stihl dealer SAT, and of course they only carry 1 type of chain, OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ Comfort (RMC). They didn't seem that imformative?

That is what I thought it is at first...But now, after looking at stihlusa com, I think it is OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ 2 (RM2) , a low kick back chain... It has pieces in between the cutter.. like the Duro rescue

Any recommendations on a .325 chain to cut hard wood? Obviously, it doesn't have to be stihl..Thanks

Since your in Pennsylvania try cutterschoice.com.They have what your looking for at a pretty good price but if the system ????????? the website email me and I will give you the site again.

MS310 is the best in a mid range Stihl saw. Weighs 13#'s and has plenty of power. Here in Alaska it goes for $380 with a 3/8's chain and a 20" bar. :chainsawguy:

I run a Stihl 361 all day long. The saw is plenty powerful, using a 20 inch bar. I would not simply buy a saw based on the price factor. You do get what you pay for. I have found myself looking towards even a larger saw. I am also only 5'9" tall. If you want to purchase only one saw make sure you over kill the first time. I started with a Stihl 310 lead to the 361, which in turn landed a 660. I should of just started with a 440 or 460. I can say this much I have bought a saw off of ebay. My 660, it turned out to be a beautiful saw. Starts in 3 pulls every time. No problems in 6 months of use. Just take your time and make sure that people you are buying from have excellent rating scores.

Frog
ms 310
ms361
ms660
ms200t

finally

I got a Stihl 034 AV Super! Used, with Stihl case for $200.00 I found that when I put in my mix of gas and oil, that I use for my leaf blower, the Stihl really runs faster! I also have put in Stihl bar oil too. I did put on a new Stihl chain, I am not sure that they are that good, it tended to wear down quicker. What it your experience, and what chain do you use? the 034 is .325 pitch, 81 cutters thanks

This thread should have been moved over to the Chainsaws forum...

Yep, tried Baileys, still even they can't compete with Norwalk...Have you heard of Alamia dot c...? They are very close in price to Baileys...

Didn't read the AS rules, did ya?

The specs and size , weight of it, and speed...Very comparable to the Dolmar 5100s....thanks for insights...I came across Shindaiwa...would they be good for firewood cutting? So 359 and 2159 weigh more? How much more? A pound +??? Thanks

5100s versus 359? Apples and oranges, in terms of their real-world cutting behavior. Both would be fine for firewood with 16"-18" bars.

Gary

Yup. Just for giggles I've been doing my firewood almost exclusively with a 238 Husqvarna. Sure it gets the job done, but it gets it done a goodly bit slower than the 7900.

It is .325 which I wanted 3/8" pitch but hey, for $200 cash, can't go wrong...I'll let you guys know how it works...

Good saw, easy to work on and to rebuild if/when the time comes. As for the chain issue...what issue? A new bar and sprocket and you can run 3/8" if you want. Hardly something to get bent out of shape over.

I got a Stihl 034 AV Super! Used, with Stihl case for $200.00 I found that when I put in my mix of gas and oil, that I use for my leaf blower, the Stihl really runs faster! I also have put in Stihl bar oil too. I did put on a new Stihl chain, I am not sure that they are that good, it tended to wear down quicker. What it your experience, and what chain do you use? the 034 is .325 pitch, 81 cutters thanks

"Runs faster" = ???? Hopefully it is running in the correct RPM range and the fuel/oil mix is appropriate.

Stihl chain is perfectly good, some of the best stuff out there in terms of edge-holding ability if the user does his job and keeps it out of the dirt. Stihl RS (or, I guess, RSC) is good in the clean stuff, RM is good in the dirty stuff. Match the chain to the task and you'll be a happy woodcutter. If you're hand-sharpening your loops, you may prefer Oregon as it is almost universally viewed as being easier to hand-sharpen. The Carlton/WoodsmanPro stuff is also quite good and very reasonably priced, and is what I tend to use in both round-ground chisel and semi-chisel.

Latest posts

Back