HELP---I need your opinions on this list of SAWS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about an Echo CS-520? Won't break the bank, and as long as you keep the chain right, and the gas mixed accordingly, it will rip tons of firewood for ya!

I guess that sometimes the saw you hear the least about on this forum is one of the best, since it's out cutting wood and not in the shop allowing the owner to come here and post...

/just sayin

I noticed that nobody commented on the Echo CS-520 choice from Jeepin'. I'm looking to buy a new saw myself and I've checked out the Echo CS-520, the Husky 353, the Shinny 488 and the Dolmar 5100. I haven't cut with any of these saws but that Echo sure does "feel" nice (very light and well balanced plus a 5 year warranty). If you could only have one of these saws to fell and buck up to 20inches for 6 cords of firewood per year....which would you choose and why? I have local dealers for all these saws and the dealers seem to be on par with each other.

I noticed that nobody commented on the Echo CS-520 choice from Jeepin'. I'm looking to buy a new saw myself and I've checked out the Echo CS-520, the Husky 353, the Shinny 488 and the Dolmar 5100. I haven't cut with any of these saws but that Echo sure does "feel" nice (very light and well balanced plus a 5 year warranty). If you could only have one of these saws to fell and buck up to 20inches for 6 cords of firewood per year....which would you choose and why? I have local dealers for all these saws and the dealers seem to be on par with each other.

Welcome to the site, greystone.

Do a search over in the Chainsaw forum. Not a lot to recommend the Echo over the others.

The Dolmar is another creature, and walks all over the other three in terms of performance. It is also the only one of the saws you mention that is legitimately able to run a 20" bar; the others are best outfitted with a 15/16". The Shindaiwa and Husqvarana are in the same league, more or less, and the Echo brings up the rear with relatively low power output but adequate durability and service life. All four saws are perfectly adequate for 6 cord/year worth of firewood duty, though.

As for the warranty length, who cares? I would hardly consider that a selling point. The list of exclusions makes it a non-benefit, really; most saw failures have to do with operator error, bad fuel or poor upkeep, none of which is subject to warranty coverage. Buy a good saw, take care of it, and you'll be set.

Last edited:
; most saw failures have to do with operator error, bad fuel or poor upkeep, none of which is subject to warranty coverage. Buy a good saw, take care of it, and you'll be set.

I haven't had any problems with the three saws I've used that are listed in my profile. On that note, I've probably only run 15 tanks of gas through each, so my obvious signs of being a non-professional show through. You can bet your top dollar that the moment that I have an issue with my Echos, this will be the first place that hears about it. Along the lines of speed, sure my echos aren't the fastest, as I run them stock, which amongst my other powersports that I'm involved with, stock always lasts the longest. I keep my chains super sharp, my rakers set, and every time my equipment gets used, it's torn down and cleaned. I'm a fan of tinkering and cleaning, kind of like therapy for me.

I would say that from a pricing perspective, if you are mechanically inclined, and experienced with a chainsaw, it's a much more comfortable buying decision to buy new, or to buy a main-brand used saw. My thought is usually if someone is selling a saw, there's hidden reasons behind it. Probably just my paranoia, but it's hasn't steered me wrong yet to date.

You never know until you jump in the water and post your experience.

'jeepin

Thanks folks. I'm gonna have to buy one tonight or my wife won't let me in the house. I took down on old sycamore last month and managed to get it cut into 8 foot sections before my 25 year old Mac gave up the ghost. I've spent more time researching chainsaws than I spent on my house or car! I've already been to the Stihl and Echo dealer so tonight it's the Husky and Dolmar dealers.

Update -- bought the Dolmar 5100S

Well I finally broke down and parted with my dearly beloved cash. After test driving the Dolmar 5100S I was hooked! This thing starts easier than my truck. Step 1, choke on. Step 2, pull once. Step 3, choke off. Step 4, cut wood! And as I discovered last night, if you can feel *any* heat still left in it, then don't choke it at all. When I arrived home last night at 6:30, my wife said "Well you won't have enough time to cut up the tree tonight." I said "Let's see." I fired up the Dolmar and had 24 feet of 10 to 20 inch sycamore cut up into firewood in about 10 minutes. This thing is smokin' fast! Thanks to everybody on arboristsite who recommended this awesome machine.

Latest posts

Back