Help identify this orange wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackydeejay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went out this afternoon looking through what little is left of the town's cut down on a couple of vacant lots in my neighborhood. There wasn't much left that was worth the trouble, but I did cut up a couple of trunks on a "gut feeling."

This wood reminds me of the red elm I've cut a ton of this winter, but the heartwood is orange. It has a very pleasant smell, unlike the red elm. This seems to be really dense wood, but then again it is still very wet.

Does anybody have any idea what it could be?

178664d1301877258-imag0597-jpg

178665d1301877272-imag0600-jpg

View attachment 178664
View attachment 178665

Orange would tend to tell me Mullberry, but the pictures look like Walnut. Not a pro tho

I don't think I've cut any mulberry. I know it's not walnut, though. I have cut quite a bit of that. This stuff takes a good whack to split, but all of my walnut split like butter.

Well, you are in Virginia. Lots of wild cherry growing there. It darkens with age. It's already too dark for American elm.

I have cut LOTS of cherry. This doesn't look anything like cherry to me. It smells totally different. It's much stringier than cherry. The bark is all wrong, too. This stuff is also heavier than any cherry I've cut.

Bois D'arc

Granted I am on my phone at the moment, but I would bet that is Bois D'Arc. Also known as Osage Orange or Hedge. That makes up about 75% of what I cut for firewood. it is fairly stringy when splitting but not near as bad as elm. If it is hedge, any little limbs would have small thorns all over them. It has the highest btu rating for firewood but will sure pop and spark so not recommended for an open fireplace.

Granted I am on my phone at the moment, but I would bet that is Bois D'Arc. Also known as Osage Orange or Hedge. That makes up about 75% of what I cut for firewood. it is fairly stringy when splitting but not near as bad as elm. If it is hedge, any little limbs would have small thorns all over them. It has the highest btu rating for firewood but will sure pop and spark so not recommended for an open fireplace.

I dunno. I'm not sure if hedge grows around here, though. :-/

What about pignut hickory?

220px-Pignut-hickory.jpg

The bark seems close and you said it was dense stuff. Color seems similar, except most hickories have a greater percentage of sapwood.

Just fishing to help.

That would be cool, indeed. I will do a bit of research and see what I can find out. I appreciate everyone's help!

Someone will figure it out, it sure looks like hedge on the phone screen but you will know what trees grow around you way better than I will. I will take another look tomorrow if I get on the computer. Good luck to ya.

Back