Help identify this orange wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say that regardless of what it is, my gut feeling is that this is going to be good wood. :D

Agreed... You'll find the weight of the wood when wet vs when seasoned has a direct correlation to it's BTU value. Heavy when dry wood will be higher in BTU's. Of course there's other things to consider for a good burning experience, but it's a good rule of thumb. Keep an eye on that "mystery orange wood". Make a mental note of how heavy it is next fall. Iron wood won't lose any weight hardly. If the bugs eat the hell out of it, it's Hickory!:hmm3grin2orange: We ain't the only ones that find hickory pleasing for food purposes...:msp_wink:

Agreed... You'll find the weight of the wood when wet vs when seasoned has a direct correlation to it's BTU value. Heavy when dry wood will be higher in BTU's. Of course there's other things to consider for a good burning experience, but it's a good rule of thumb. Keep an eye on that "mystery orange wood". Make a mental note of how heavy it is next fall. Iron wood won't lose any weight hardly. If the bugs eat the hell out of it, it's Hickory!:hmm3grin2orange: We ain't the only ones that find hickory pleasing for food purposes...:msp_wink:

Good post Hedgerow, I also think you may have correctly identified the firewood.:clap:

Back