Help Identify this Stihl saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyPete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I took this MS390 on trade a while back, finally getting around to working on it. Previous owner said it wasn't oiling correctly and cut like crap.

First thing I noticed was he was using a 3/8 B&C with a .325 sprocket. Replaced with .325 B&C. Oiler was working fine, just needed turned up a little.

Now the problem - He handed me a spare P&C with it, brand new in the box - said he got it from his brother who was going to rebuild a saw he had, but the saw got lost during a divorce. On the box it was labeled for a 290 and I verified that it is a 46mm.

Between the .325 sprocket and this spare P&C, I am questioning if this is indeed a MS390 that he sold me, or if it is a 290 that he replaced the badging on.

Serial number is 253591909

Could someone please look it up for me and find out if it is indeed a 390?

I tried calling my local Stihl dealer and didn't get anywhere. I would rather not pull the saw apart just to figure out what it is. Thanks in advance.

I took this MS390 on trade a while back, finally getting around to working on it. Previous owner said it wasn't oiling correctly and cut like crap.

First thing I noticed was he was using a 3/8 B&C with a .325 sprocket. Replaced with .325 B&C. Oiler was working fine, just needed turned up a little.

Now the problem - He handed me a spare P&C with it, brand new in the box - said he got it from his brother who was going to rebuild a saw he had, but the saw got lost during a divorce. On the box it was labeled for a 290 and I verified that it is a 46mm.

Between the .325 sprocket and this spare P&C, I am questioning if this is indeed a MS390 that he sold me, or if it is a 290 that he replaced the badging on.

Serial number is 253591909

Could someone please look it up for me and find out if it is indeed a 390?

I tried calling my local Stihl dealer and didn't get anywhere. I would rather not pull the saw apart just to figure out what it is. Thanks in advance.

put a drinking straw in the exhaust port. bring the piston up just enough to mark the straw. remove the straw and measure the bore.

Back