Help identifying this dead tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the smaller branches have smooth bark similar to a beech, than it's a silver maple

if the smaller branches have smooth bark similar to beech, than it's silver maple. if hasn't been dead for more than a year it would make good firewood almost good as cherry

If the city drops it and bucks it I will take it and split it but if I have to drop and buck it, I am starting with the locust and mulberry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut it down and cut one piece and feel the weight then you will know if it's worth burning ,all fire wood has some weight that's how here in va I can get gum separated quickly

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Second tree looks like maple to me. Easy way to narrow it down. If the twigs on the branches are opposite it is a M.A.D Buck: Maple Ash Dogwood or Buckeye. If the twigs/buds alternate it is not one of those species.

My guess is either silver or red maple. I like both of those trees for firewood and normally try to get a cord/year because it seasons quickly and produces a quick hot fire with okay coals. I use it during cold starts and warmer weather. In fact I have my eye on a couple of big yard trees someone took down that have just been sitting all summer.

Maple... I just cut up a few of the logs. Look to be a black maple once I cut in to them... Mine were full of holes from the center going out.. Not much more heat than an Ash... A member of the ash family...

Here's some of what I believe is sugar maple. Been undercover for 14 months, looks like the day I put it in. I just threw a couple piece20160109_084239.jpg 20160109_084233.jpg s in the stove and it burns good. I was gonna sell this, that's why it's split on the smaller side. Fireplace user's like it that way. I decided to burn it myself, I have a over a cord.

That is beautiful. It is great high MMBTU wood

Sorry I meant the first tree is locust. The second one might be honey locust? I can get a photo of both whole trees.

This is what the whole tree looks like. I think it is silver maple. But I can't find a silver maple leaf near it.

e654068085095c4a95cb23f52f788ebc.jpg

Well if there is even a chance it is locust I will sample it. And

Back