Help identifying tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking59

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone steer me in the right direction identifying this.

c63a4850c42e94b62286639bedce3dc5.jpg
3bceb2cdce43956e6c4f71007f9b4332.jpg
d930a8aa77ad01e042acba67a9fb7c31.jpg

Leaf looks hackberry but bark is very smooth to our hackberry around here. I'm not sure I've seen one in a woods setting mostly just yard trees not sure if they react different do to less sun contacting the bark or not...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I've never seen such a smooth barked hackberry or sugarberry but the leaf is actually leading me to believe its a sugarberry over a hackberry. hackberry has a serrated leaf margin where as sugarberry is smoother. it would also depend on the region in which you live.

I've never seen such a smooth barked hackberry or sugarberry but the leaf is actually leading me to believe its a sugarberry over a hackberry. hackberry has a serrated leaf margin where as sugarberry is smoother. it would also depend on the region in which you live.
I think you you are right, Sugarberry. Haven't seen one in N.Indiana. Couldn't find smooth bark with a smooth leaf edge tree. Fact sheet shows the Sugarberry can have smooth or warty bark.
https://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_cela.pdf

Same genus, some folks call them smooth hackberry.
Celtis laevigata (spelling?)

on the web page leafsnap. the bark of hackberry is very ruff and worty?

I'm still a noob so I don't know how to quote a post but the picture Guji47 posted I think is Celtis sinensis which is not the common hackberry we have along the east coast. So I may ask a possibly stupid question and ask if you're sure the leaf you have pictured there belongs to that tree haha.

You know, your right...theres a tree sign and everything...must be an arboreteum.

Not likely this species is seen much outside of an arboreteum

Original post is not likely C. sinensis.

Damn near looks like blue beech(ironwood) very strange.... I also have never seen a smooth type hackberry....

Latest posts

Back