Help me choose... MS 260 Pro or MS 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both saws, the 260 is a great saw, but the 261 is a better saw.

I have both saws. Just as many others have said the 260 is lighter, the 261 stronger and MUCH better filtration. For me the MS261 almost replaces the MS361. I would take the 261 given the choice of only one saw.

You really think the 261 can replace a 361? That has got my attention as I have a 441c and a 361 but looking for a 50cc saw. If what you say is true maybe ill sell my 361 for a 261. On another note I've had 2 026s and really enjoyed them but wanted more grunt so I got the 361 then found the 441c. Maybe it's time to go to a 50/70cc saw plan.

Well I don't know how true this is as I read somewhere that it might be a rumor that the 261 maybe going M-tronic in a couple months?

Is there any truth to this?

If there is maybe it would be worth waiting a bit.

And to respond to Saw Troll, I don't like out board clutches. Just a matter of opinion.

You really think the 261 can replace a 361? That has got my attention as I have a 441c and a 361 but looking for a 50cc saw. If what you say is true maybe ill sell my 361 for a 261. On another note I've had 2 026s and really enjoyed them but wanted more grunt so I got the 361 then found the 441c. Maybe it's time to go to a 50/70cc saw plan.

I think an old 034 is better yet!

You really think the 261 can replace a 361? That has got my attention as I have a 441c and a 361 but looking for a 50cc saw...

Guess it depends on whether limbing with a 361 is efficient for you personally. I find my 50cc saw to be just right for these tasks, but I'm sure lots of younger or bigger guys will happily use a 361 for limbing and just about everything else.

Last edited:
You have big saws for big wood. Get the 260, it's lighter, smaller, and would be a great limber/trimmer/small firewood saw with a 16"/.325" setup (or shorter, if you can find a 13-15" bar for it stateside). Should be a few clams cheaper than the 261, also.

If you can get the ms260 for $300-$325 I'd go for that. If not, consider a look at a ms250. I know its not a pro saw, but you only need it for limbing and small stuff, it will handle the job. The saw is similar in weight and has almost as much power to the MS260, but for half the price. The powerhead only weighs 10.1 lbs and it has 3hp. You can probably pick one up on craigs list for $150 or get a new one for around $300. Keep the extra $200-300 you would have used to buy the ms261 and fix up that MS460.

Guess it depends on whether limbing with a 361 is efficient for you personally. I find my 50cc saw to be just right for these tasks, but I'm sure lots of younger or bigger guys will happily use a 361 for limbing and just about everything else.

A lot of the limbing I do requires a 60cc saw, my ms260 is just too slow.

I've got a stock MS250 (14in bar) and a muffler modded 260pro (16in bar). Both ideal for limbing and do alright for bucking up to about 12inch diameter logs. In a pinch they will both do more but not time efficient. Haven't run a 261,361 or 034 to compare. I know that I could run the ms250 or 260 all day long and just have a sore back. My 2 cents, pick up a decent priced 260 and muffler mod it. Keep a sharp chain and don't look back...

I have a couple MS 250 that have the power of a stock MS 260

Same with my MS 261 it has more power than a stock MS 361

I still haven't really tested my last build of a 026; I have to make time to use it only cut small stuff with it like 12 inches in dia

PS: I don't like kick stands and picking up saws that fall over on there side when you put them on the ground :msp_ohmy:

Are you logging/treework, or just doing firewood for yourself? If your doing firewood for yourself, I would go for the MS260.The amount of time your gonna save using the 261 isn`t really gonna matter if your simply cutting firewood.My favorite firewood saw is my Echo 440.When I have bigger wood to cut, I like my MS440.Actually, when I`m doing firewood, I enjoy switching saws all the time.Whatever saw I use, time really isn`t all that important.All my saws cut fast enough for what I`m using them for.If I was using them for a living,that would be a different story, that 1/2 second per cut difference between the 261 and 260 would matter.Both saw are good, buy what you can afford..

Are you logging/treework, or just doing firewood for yourself? If your doing firewood for yourself, I would go for the MS260.The amount of time your gonna save using the 261 isn`t really gonna matter if your simply cutting firewood.My favorite firewood saw is my Echo 440.When I have bigger wood to cut, I like my MS440.Actually, when I`m doing firewood, I enjoy switching saws all the time.Whatever saw I use, time really isn`t all that important.All my saws cut fast enough for what I`m using them for.If I was using them for a living,that would be a different story, that 1/2 second per cut difference between the 261 and 260 would matter.Both saw are good, buy what you can afford..

At the moment I am just cutting up very large oaks for firewood. However once a year I have to go to upstate NY and thin 10-12 acres on a large tract of land my family owns for a forestry program my Grandfather got us into (GET US OUT!)... Thin means anything for 2-3 inches up to 2-3 feet in diameter.

I like switching saws, I keep a 25" on the MS 460, and a 28" on the MS 650 which will eventually be upgraded to a 32 or 36. I would like a 16" for either a 260 or 261. I can afford either one, I like the idea of a new saw... But $560 is almost more than I spend on my 460 and 650 combined! I like what someone else previously mentioned about getting the 260 pro and then rebuilding the other 460 with the money I save. Then I can have a 460 with a 20" bar, 25" bar, or a 28" bar. As I have 2 of each size bars and a bunch of chains!

I think rebuilding the 460 would be a great plan!! Seems like the 440/460/660 Stihls are like Harleys.They are really holding their value.Good luck either way you go.:smile2:

At the moment I am just cutting up very large oaks for firewood. However once a year I have to go to upstate NY and thin 10-12 acres on a large tract of land my family owns for a forestry program my Grandfather got us into (GET US OUT!)... Thin means anything for 2-3 inches up to 2-3 feet in diameter.

...I like what someone else previously mentioned about getting the 260 pro and then rebuilding the other 460 with the money I save. Then I can have a 460 with a 20" bar, 25" bar, or a 28" bar. As I have 2 of each size bars and a bunch of chains!

If you do get the 260 and keep a super sharp chain with properly set depth gauges, you can process some decent size wood:
View attachment 285791

Well I don't know how true this is as I read somewhere that it might be a rumor that the 261 maybe going M-tronic in a couple months?

Is there any truth to this?

If there is maybe it would be worth waiting a bit.

And to respond to Saw Troll, I don't like out board clutches. Just a matter of opinion.

Ill take a 261c. I have the 441c now and its great and soon to be ported.

Last edited:
The 261 is better but I love the 260pro. Make sure it has the H screw or its just good instead of great. Plan on $50-100 to put on a 194 carb if not.

I will make sure to look.

Anyone wanna buy a 460 that needs a new piston and rings? Lol. I decided to help it fund this purchase.

-Charles

Latest posts

Back