help me decide on a chipper!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie deese

Reaction score
We've been using a dinosaur chipper for years, and now I'm ready to take the plunge and buy a new chipper. I've narrowed it down to the MORBARK Model 13 Tornado, and the VERMEER BC1400 XL. Both would fit our needs, but, for the money, I want the machine that I'll be happy with for years. Can any of you guys help???

Mods, the large equipment forum?

Demo them for a couple days a piece and let us know when you decide on a Bandit. :D

sorry!!

I didn't move it, I guess I posted in the wrong forum to start with & someone moved it for me. HOWEVER, I just wanted others' input on chipper selection, not posting instruction. ( and by the way I have plenty of chainsaws)
Seriously though, why Bandit? I had not even looked at them yet.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I personally do not like Bandit chippers. The ones I have used, the 90, 200 and 250 have feed tables that are too low and slope down. I like the feed tables to be slightly below my waist and flat so stuff doesn't slide off. Of the chippers I have used or owned in the past, Morbark Eeger Beaver and M17, the Bandits mentioned above, a Wayne drum, Promark 210 & 400, Gravely 395 and Woodsman 18X, I like the Woodsman and Gravely the best and those are the 2 chippers I currently run. The disc chippers that cut at a 45* angle all have that irritating dead spot between the feed rollers and knives. If you do get one of those, make sure the chipper has a feed wheel lift so you can clean out the small log or leafy material that WILL get stuck in there.

what model vermeer do you have netree..and what diameter can it chip,i like vermeer ,there customer support is second to none imo

hmmmm i went looked at a 12'' 150 bandit i thought was to cheap,it was cracked disc.why dont you like em erik?

yeah i havnt had alot to do with them other than a new 250 which seemed ok,but then it still blocked on sappy pine,im looking mainly for something for dry,dead material,ill still keep the altec as its quick on excavator jobs, green straight stuff and it doesnt annoy me ;) demoing a used ''austchip'' monday,disc 12'' machine

Originally posted by netree

Gee, I can't think of a single thing I DO like about the Bandit. Prolly why mine sits... with (yet another) mechanical problem. You know what? I don't care. It will sit until I feel like fixing it to dump the P.O.S. or until it rots into the ground. I don't care which.

You do have a third option, sell it to Nickrosis. :D

netree said:
Well, are you? I could drive over there in January. Better be a cheap deal, cuz 3 trucks in a year, a new building, and a 4 chipper inventory is a lot holding me back!

My Bandit 200 Doesn't have the bottom door. Should i just leave it off? What is it good for?

DDM said:
My Bandit 200 Doesn't have the bottom door. Should i just leave it off? What is it good for?

Good for causing stoppages I guess. My Olathe is a very similar design and it has no door either. Considerimg how often broken pieces stop the bottom wheel when the drop pile builds up tight to the bottom wheel I can imagine naught but problems from having a door/floor on the box. :rolleyes:

I think that having one big feedwheel on the top is superior to a two feedwheel system. The single feedwheel design needs to have strong downward pressure as well as a powerful drive system to work well. The Woodsman chippers have 2 hyd. motors driving the one feedwheel vs one motor per feedwheel on all the other chippers I have seen.

Okay So I'll Assume if there's no Door As Eric said there will be a pile under the chipper? If i was to fab up a decent size catch pan to intstall under the chipper would this have an advantage?

Latest posts

Back