Help me decide which splitter...Horizontal/Vertical or Horizontal w/Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would get the lift you can always keep the lift 1\2 up to stage smaller logs or re splits

I don't like splitting vertical, I find it uncomfortable and if you don't have someone feeding you the logs its a lot of work going after them. I have a well used timberwolf with a log lift that works fine but I just as soon noodle to handling size and then split on a horizontal splitter with a shelf. I like the kind that the knife moves and splits both ways the best of all I used. When your working by your self it is much different then working in a group, having a tractor and loader etc..If you don't have a loader to move the blocks to the lift, might better have a good chainsaw to noodle with vs.the lift IMO.

I split horizontal, a good sized load that filled a 5 1/2'x10' barge box with 3' sides about level full loose thrown a couple weeks ago. Wood was in trailer, had splitter right next to it, then barge box was on other side. Worked well, but not saying faster than vertical splitting next to a pile. I did not have anything bigger than 24" rounds, most were smaller. To me if i have to pick up wood to load on splitter I won't do it. I would rather roll over and split. Even with a lift I don't see as much advantage. Depends how you stack your wood also. Mine goes in wagons or in a steel "crates" I made. I don't mind throwing splits up in wagon versus picking up large rounds.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to purchase a horizontal/vertical splitter or a horizontal only splitter with a log lift. Looking for pros/cons of both...thanks.

The biggest advantage of a H/V is no need to noodle the big pieces before humping them onto the splitter. Roll 'em over,stand 'em up on the foot plate and pull the handle.

I have both and I hate having the wedge on the cylinder! It's just so much slower and you have to handle the wood more. I haven't used my splitter with the wedge on the cylinder even one time since I bought a splitter with the wedge on the beam!!

Having the splits go off the end of the beam, not having to handle them, is just so much easier/faster.

A table is a must!

SR

Latest posts

Back