Yard machine log splitter engine replacement.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkim13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I purchased this splitter for $100 from the local Craigslist for the fun project.....
Actually, I was looking for a splitter that can split the logs vertically or horizontally.
I was hard to lift heavy logs on the horizontal splitter that I used to have it because of age...
Total cost was less than $300 for all and works like a champion. :D:D:D
I split the firewood more than 6 cords this year alone.
Jkk

Just finished splitting the firewood yesterday.

It has more than 6 cords of live oak trees which is very hard and good for firewood.

JkkDSCN3608.JPG

DSCN3609.JPG

Actually, I was skeptical after installing the HF engine because it was sooo cheap.($99)::confused::confused:

Now, I am so surprised by its performance that the engine has splitted more than 12 cords of very hard live oak firewood since installed.

The engine still runs like new and will last long in my judgment.

Jkk
DSCN2327.JPG

I have a champion 34 ton from home depot i want to replace an engine on. How do i go about knowing what specs i need to find a suitable engine.

I have a champion 34 ton from home depot i want to replace an engine on. How do i go about knowing what specs i need to find a suitable engine.
First, you need to know if the engine is vertical or horizontal and the size of the shaft (it could be 1" or 3/4". I guess a 35-ton log splitter could be 1" shaft and probably 8HP or more. ) then how much HP on the engine.

The engine price went up so much but still recommend purchasing the engine from HF
jkk
1.jpg
2.jpg

I researched your splitter from Home Depot.

and showing the engine is 338CC horizontal engine.

So, best bet to replace the engine could be 8hp = 301CC
3.jpg

so i have to remove it and measure the shaft. okay will do that this weekend.
i was hoping to find specs on line telling me but have not been able to ...

so i have to remove it and measure the shaft. okay will do that this weekend.
i was hoping to find specs on line telling me but have not been able to ...
The champion log splitter you have made in China I assumed (I have a champion pressure washer made in China) that will fit the HF engine perfectly.

The HF 8hp engine has 1" shaft and 3 1/2" long also, the engine mounting hole is as attached picture.

Please check with your existing engine with info above.

The Honda 8hp engine price is more than $600 at least.

By the way, is there any reason to replace the whole engine?

4.jpg

Get the predator motor for that splitter all day. I have several versions of the motor. Their just different colors and they all work great. The one on my old splitter I drilled out the jet a few thousandths and it runs even better.

Back