3 point log splitter for tractor.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkim13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I purchased this splitter from local craigslist recently for a summer fun project.

I even don't know who made this splitter but it seems like not much use and excellent condition as you can see and sturdy well made.

Surprisingly the splitter works so well, split large size hardwood logs like live oak trees.

And can split the logs at the place I cut for convenience.

It was so fun and a good experiment.

Jkk

I purchased this splitter from local craigslist recently for a summer fun project.

I even don't know who made this splitter but it seems like not much use and excellent condition as you can see and sturdy well made.

Surprisingly the splitter works so well, split large size hardwood logs like live oak trees.

Jkk

Hi
Looks identical to mine but a different color, mine is a Speeco brand.
Works real well with tractor at idle, Mine also will pivot 90 deg. for doing large rounds which is handy for the really big ones on the ground.

>Only disadvantage is tractor uses more fuel than a dedicated splitter motor.

I always figured that would be the true, but have to say that I'm not sure
that's always the case. While I haven't specifically measured the amount,
I think my 3 pt splitter uses the about the same amount of fuel as one with
a dedicated engine.

Before I got my 3 pt, a buddy used to come over with his tow behind
splitter - and would definitely run through at least one tank in a 3-4
hour session - the engine runs at a way higher rpm then my tractor.
I have an older JD compact with a 4 cyl small diesel, and run it at an
almost idle/ 1000 rpm when using the splitter, and doubt I use more then
a gallon of fuel in the same 3-4 hour session.

Granted, the bigger the tractor, etc., the less this might be true, but
the deere of mine just sips fuel in general. The difference in fuel
consumption between my tractor and a dedicated engine splitter
ain't 'nuff to shake a stick at.

just say'n ...

Hi
Looks identical to mine but a different color, mine is a Speeco brand.
Works real well with tractor at idle, Mine also will pivot 90 deg. for doing large rounds which is handy for the really big ones on the ground.

Thank you for the information.😄😄
Unfortunately, mine is not rotating to the vertical.😩😩
Jkk

>Only disadvantage is tractor uses more fuel than a dedicated splitter motor.

I always figured that would be the true, but have to say that I'm not sure
that's always the case. While I haven't specifically measured the amount,
I think my 3 pt splitter uses the about the same amount of fuel as one with
a dedicated engine.

Before I got my 3 pt, a buddy used to come over with his tow behind
splitter - and would definitely run through at least one tank in a 3-4
hour session - the engine runs at a way higher rpm then my tractor.
I have an older JD compact with a 4 cyl small diesel, and run it at an
almost idle/ 1000 rpm when using the splitter, and doubt I use more then
a gallon of fuel in the same 3-4 hour session.

Granted, the bigger the tractor, etc., the less this might be true, but
the deere of mine just sips fuel in general. The difference in fuel
consumption between my tractor and a dedicated engine splitter
ain't 'nuff to shake a stick at.

just say'n ...
Actually I operated the splitter for the first time with my tractor and the running time is about 1 hour.
I really don't know exactly how much fuel consumption between the stand alone splitter and this 3 point.
But feeling like it is the same or less consumption.🤤🤤
IMO
Jkk

Is the tractor an open center or closed center system? It was hard to tell how many hoses were in that tangle.

Tees should not be used with open center systems. Impliments are connected in parallel with closed center hydraulics, but in series with open center systems.

JD uses closed, Kubota uses open, MF used a mix, depending on the model.

Is the tractor an open center or closed center system? It was hard to tell how many hoses were in that tangle.

Tees should not be used with open center systems. Impliments are connected in parallel with closed center hydraulics, but in series with open center systems.

JD uses closed, Kubota uses open, MF used a mix, depending on the model.
Wow,, your question is going into rocket science 😜😜😜

Yes my tractor has an open center system.
I would like to explain a little more detail for the other members who read this thread.

Open Center System refers to the open central path of the control valve, when the valve is in neutral position. The hydraulic pump is a continuous flow type. When the valve is neutral then hydraulic fluid goes back to the reservoir. As we move the valve to (let's say extend actuator side) hydraulic path disconnects in valve from return and connects to actuator extend side and the actuator moves. Similarly when we move the valve to retract side hydraulic path in valve connects to retract side of actuator. In such systems multiple valves can be connected in series but one service is operated at a time. This is a very simple system and uses less expensive pumps.

That is the reason I installed a shut off valve at the above Tee for other attachments like 3 point backhoe or this splitter.(see attached picture)

valve1.jpg

Closed Center system the control valve does not connect to the reservoir return in neutral position, instead pumps off loads by varying its flow rate (Pump is variable flow type). Valves are placed in parallel and multiple services can be operated at time. This system is used on modern high performance aircraft.

Thank you for your comment.
Jkk

Ok, sounds like you are on it. Isolation valves are, ummm, non-standard in an OC system, usually they are configured with a Power Beyond port, but so long as you know the limitations (and hopefully have a relief valve before the isolation valves, just in case...) it can work.

What got me wondering was the comment about the backhoe. I've never seen one designed to be lifted by the 3ph (the lower lift arms just act as attachment points and are braced so they cannot lift -- needs to be that way since there is no downforce on a 3ph so the BH must be rigid to the tractor to dig). So I thought maybe the issue was the hydraulic pressure available at the 3ph, which of course is near-0 with an OC system.

Jkk

Jkk

I have way too many engines to maintain as it is. My father built my 3 pt splitter around 1980 and it still works fine. I run it with a 35 hp IH farm tractor, pretty much at PTO speed. Guessing I may have used 5 gallons this spring splitting about 3 full cord. So don't be concerned about the fuel usage, even at today's prices.

Tim

Ok, sounds like you are on it. Isolation valves are, ummm, non-standard in an OC system, usually they are configured with a Power Beyond port, but so long as you know the limitations (and hopefully have a relief valve before the isolation valves, just in case...) it can work.

What got me wondering was the comment about the backhoe. I've never seen one designed to be lifted by the 3ph (the lower lift arms just act as attachment points and are braced so they cannot lift -- needs to be that way since there is no downforce on a 3ph so the BH must be rigid to the tractor to dig). So I thought maybe the issue was the hydraulic pressure available at the 3ph, which of course is near-0 with an OC system.
My tractor has two hydraulic systems total separately.
One is in the transmission hydraulic system internally for lifting the attachments.
The other is for loaders and rear ganon box as seen in the attached picture above.
The lifting capacity for my tractor is only about 1000lb but the 3 point backhoe weight was about 1500lb that caused the lifting problem.
Other than that the backhoe worked very well like a log splitter.
jkk

I have way too many engines to maintain as it is. My father built my 3 pt splitter around 1980 and it still works fine. I run it with a 35 hp IH farm tractor, pretty much at PTO speed. Guessing I may have used 5 gallons this spring splitting about 3 full cord. So don't be concerned about the fuel usage, even at today's prices.

Tim
Hi, Tim.
It is very interesting that the 3 point splitter was built by your father in 1980.
Any pictures available?
Jkk

The lifting capacity for my tractor is only about 1000lb but the 3 point backhoe weight was about 1500lb that caused the lifting problem.
Other than that the backhoe worked very well like a log splitter.

Not that it is relevant now -- the backhoe is long gone, the tractor is not orange -- but I am having difficulty understanding how the lifting capacity of the 3ph was a factor? Or was it just that the weight itself made the unit too light on the front end?

I am far from expert, but any 3ph backhoe I have ever seen was not lifted by the 3ph. The 3ph is set to it's lowest setting, the top link of the BH is rigid, braced to the lower arm connections, hydraulics hoses (or PTO pump) connected and the outriggers and bucket are used to position the BH for attachment. Once attached, the 3ph cannot be raised without breaking or bending something.

The rigid attachment provides a stable triangular base between the two outriggers and the bucket. If the 3ph was allowed to float, the BH would just balance on the outriggers.

So if the details have not been lost to you in the mists of time, I am curious how or if your old BH differed from what I have seen?

Not that it is relevant now -- the backhoe is long gone, the tractor is not orange -- but I am having difficulty understanding how the lifting capacity of the 3ph was a factor? Or was it just that the weight itself made the unit too light on the front end?

I am far from expert, but any 3ph backhoe I have ever seen was not lifted by the 3ph. The 3ph is set to it's lowest setting, the top link of the BH is rigid, braced to the lower arm connections, hydraulics hoses (or PTO pump) connected and the outriggers and bucket are used to position the BH for attachment. Once attached, the 3ph cannot be raised without breaking or bending something.

The rigid attachment provides a stable triangular base between the two outriggers and the bucket. If the 3ph was allowed to float, the BH would just balance on the outriggers.

So if the details have not been lost to you in the mists of time, I am curious how or if your old BH differed from what I have seen?
😥😥😥
I am having trouble making you understand about the 3 point backhoe that I used to have.
I am sure you have seen this kind of 3 point backhoe correct?
backhoe1.jpg

Mine was very old, much heavier and weighed more than1500lb.
Once it is attached to the 3 point linkage on the tractor, then it needs to be left to transport to the area that needs to be dug..
Again, my tractor 3 point lifting capacity is 1000lb or so.
That's because I had a lifting problem with my tractor for transporting the 3 point backhoe once attached to the tractor.
The operation of the backhoe is the same as a log splitter.
The difference is that It has 4 control valves.
Hopefully, you understand now.
jkk

The picture you posted shows what I am talking about. That BH can never be lifted by the 3PH.

3ph_backhoe_mount.jpg

The top bar (Kubota calls that a "mast") goes to the immovable upper mounting point of the 3PH on the tractor. It is braced to the normally movable lower links of the tractor's 3PH. Because of the braces, the upper link cannot rotate and therefore the lower links can never be raised, no matter how much lifting capacity the tractor has.

Of course, the braces have to be set to suit the tractor. There are usually multiple holes in the mast and braces to allow adjustment to a particular machine. From the downward slope on the mast in your picture, I would guess that BH was set up for a tallish tractor. A smaller tractor, lower to the ground, would have the mast held at a more horizontal angle.

Of course, even if the angles were right for the particular tractor, if it was too heavy then the tractor would be trying to do a wheelie when you drove. But that's a function of the tractor's weight, not lifting capacity.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now. If it didn't work for you then it doesn't really matter why. I was just curious if your BH had some unusual mount that I'd never seen before.

Latest posts

Back