3 point log splitter for tractor.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're running the three point splitter off the tractor's hydraulics, you will need to run the tractor engine at full speed in order to get full flow. However the hydraulic pump will not be using the tractor engine's full power so the governor will not be giving it all the fuel needed for full power. It's still more than running the engine at idle due to internal friction and pumping losses.

Personally I'd rather maintain another engine than run a slower three point splitter off my tractor.
This is true of an open center system
This isn't true, most if not all modern tractors reach MAX hydraulic flow at way less than full/max rpm.

SR
This statement by you is false. It's pretty much as simple as that. You have a preference for slow hydraulics going to the splitter thats fine, but your statement that a positive displacement pump reaches full flow before peak engine rpm is a flat out bold faced lie.

This is true of an open center system

This statement by you is false. It's pretty much as simple as that. You have a preference for slow hydraulics going to the splitter thats fine, but your statement that a positive displacement pump reaches full flow before peak engine rpm is a flat out bold faced lie.
Well, I tried to explain where I was coming from, you just want to call me a lier, so I'll let it go, as I'm not into going there with someone like you.

I'm done here, so if it makes you feel better, have at it with the name calling.

SR

My neighbor had a 3 point splitter,, powered off of his LONG open center tractor hydraulics.
Well, he came to my home, and did some carpentry that was outside of my skill level,,
He spent close to two weeks working on my home.
He refused to take a nickel, he said he was happy to have something to do in retirement,,

I knew one evening that he was going to be away,, I went over and "stole" his 3 point splitter.
I built a trailer framework that the splitter would pin to.
Then, I mounted a 5HP engine, 2 stage pump, and hydraulic tank to the trailer.
I painted it all to match his blue LONG tractor.

I called him on Christmas Eve, and said Santa had left a gift of his in my garage,, he drove over,,
At first, he did not recognize it,, (the splitter had been ugly green)

THEN it hit him!! He was all smiles!!
A week later, he took it to the monthly church wood splitting party,, he usually took his tractor and splitter.

That evening, he called,, he told me that EVERY ONE of his church friends HATED me!!

It turned out that the old guys were used to putting a piece of wood on the splitter,
and then they got to chat while the tractor slowly moved the wedge to split the block.
In a couple hours, they would split two pickups of wood to take to some old church member,,
AND, they got to do a LOT of talking,,

When the trailer mounted splitter showed up,, they ALL got put to work!! (ALL retired guys)
In 90 minutes, they had split and loaded 4 pickups,,!!!
The reason they were mad was that NOBODY got to talk,,
the splitter was so fast, it almost worked the entire crew of retirees to DEATH!!

He then told me that he was kidding about them being mad,,
but, everybody was sure wore out by the fast splitter.

So, he was really proud of his new splitter,, and he did not have to drive his tractor to the wood lot,,

Hi, Tim.
It is very interesting that the 3 point splitter was built by your father in 1980.
Any pictures available?
Jkk
Just saw this now. I will have to dig around and see if I have any pixs. The splitter is stored outdoors, but covered with a shingled plywood box, so I can't just take one easily.

My neighbor had a 3 point splitter,, powered off of his LONG open center tractor hydraulics.
Well, he came to my home, and did some carpentry that was outside of my skill level,,
He spent close to two weeks working on my home.
He refused to take a nickel, he said he was happy to have something to do in retirement,,

I knew one evening that he was going to be away,, I went over and "stole" his 3 point splitter.
I built a trailer framework that the splitter would pin to.
Then, I mounted a 5HP engine, 2 stage pump, and hydraulic tank to the trailer.
I painted it all to match his blue LONG tractor.

I called him on Christmas Eve, and said Santa had left a gift of his in my garage,, he drove over,,
At first, he did not recognize it,, (the splitter had been ugly green)

THEN it hit him!! He was all smiles!!
A week later, he took it to the monthly church wood splitting party,, he usually took his tractor and splitter.

That evening, he called,, he told me that EVERY ONE of his church friends HATED me!!

It turned out that the old guys were used to putting a piece of wood on the splitter,
and then they got to chat while the tractor slowly moved the wedge to split the block.
In a couple hours, they would split two pickups of wood to take to some old church member,,
AND, they got to do a LOT of talking,,

When the trailer mounted splitter showed up,, they ALL got put to work!! (ALL retired guys)
In 90 minutes, they had split and loaded 4 pickups,,!!!
The reason they were mad was that NOBODY got to talk,,
the splitter was so fast, it almost worked the entire crew of retirees to DEATH!!

He then told me that he was kidding about them being mad,,
but, everybody was sure wore out by the fast splitter.

So, he was really proud of his new splitter,, and he did not have to drive his tractor to the wood lot,,
Wonderful story on the log splitter.
Thank you for posting.
Jkk

damn my 70 horsepower 1981 Long 610 does fine with whatever you attach to the 3 point hitch

Back