Help me fix a bar oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I own a Stihl HT101 pole saw. The saw runs great, but the bar oil leaks when the saw is not being used. For example, in the last 2 days, the spot of oil on the concrete is about 4x6.

Can someone tell me how to fix this problem?

Not sure man. Pole saws are a tricky bunch. How do you store it? Standing up in the corner or on the floor? Check the flippy cap on the oil tank. Not sure if the tank is vented or not. Maybe try your dealer. Welcome to AS.

I have tried storing the saw end horizontal as well as approximately 45 deg above the toolhead. It leaks in both positions. It is NOT leaking from the cap, but rather from under the side cover.

This question comes up all the time here, but about chainsaws. Look, they are like women, they bleed, thats what they do. Some more than others. As long as it is getting oil when it runs, its all good.:cheers:

Trook, the three places these things leak from are the flippy cap, the tank gasket, and the little connector pipe that runs from the tank to the oil pump.

I'm gonna say yours is leaking from the little connector pipe from what you describe, but you'll have to remove the tank side to replace it so you might as well get the tank gasket while you're at it.

What you'll find is that the back of the connector seals (or is supposed to) a hole in the tank and most of the time when people can't find an obvious leak from the pan or the cap that’s where the leak comes from.

It's a fairly straight forward repair

4138 353 2700 Connector
4138 351 1000 Gasket

Should fix you right up. :cheers:

I've got the HT131, same problem here, I think it has a manufacturing/engineering flaw. I even had the saw head replaced, about 8 months later....leaking again. It has been to the dealer 4 times now, still leaking.
I guess I am gonna tear into myself. Just wondering if anybody else has had these type of problems, or if we are the only two? Be nice if I could find a schematic drawing for the head. The dealer did also put some silicone on it, as Erick suggested, started leaking again.

Be nice if I could find a schematic drawing for the head.

Fish linked you to one ->HERE<-

You want to look at the 14th and 17th drawings down for your newer model 101/131 assembly. :cheers:

Yeah kind of a design issue (IMO), they used the hole in the plate to anchor the oil feed tube (that connector) in place and put pressure on the line to hold it on the connections. Problem is the back of the tube that is supposed to seal the hole seems to develop a leak for whatever reason (vibration, rubber shrinkage, ???) most of the time a well placed dab of good silicone on a new line will see it through for a good long while. If yours keeps leaking you might want to take a look at it and make sure there’s not a burr in the hole or some other reason it keeps leaking on you.

Sniff..............

I must be on "ignore" from most of the guys here...............

Or maybe it is the language barrier............

I've got the HT131, same problem here, I think it has a manufacturing/engineering flaw. I even had the saw head replaced, about 8 months later....leaking again. It has been to the dealer 4 times now, still leaking.
I guess I am gonna tear into myself. Just wondering if anybody else has had these type of problems, or if we are the only two? Be nice if I could find a schematic drawing for the head. The dealer did also put some silicone on it, as Erick suggested, started leaking again.

What did he charge for the saw head?

My problem is that I purchased the saw off ebay. I just don't want to spend the money having the dealer fix the problem. I would rather do it myself and learn a little something in the process.

So it was fixed under warranty?

Nope, did me even better (not under warranty), no big time spender here, but I have bought close to 5 grand at his shop in the last 3 years, and I'm a regular...so it all pays off in the end. You ain't gonna find that kinda service from Home Depot or Rural King.

Thanks for the info, I am going to tear it down later tonight. I am kinda under the assumption that it may be a consistent problem, I only use it about 25-30 hours a year...so that shouldn't justify over use, what got me was that even after a new head that it started to do it again. Thanks again for the link to schematics, no language barrier, just a dumb Hoosier here! Sure you Kentuckians know how we are....:chainsaw:

I need to find me a better dealer, all of these saws I have bought, 100 or 2, and I can't even get a damn free hat out of the deal..........

Aloha,
I have a Stihl HT75 and I have the same problem with oil tank leaking and not oiling the chain bar.
The first time I took it apart and replace the oil pump, cleaned the pipe, holes, nipple and screen. Worked better, bar chain was getting oil and when place horizontally in storage it was barely leaking but still dripping oil. Emptied the oil tank since I was not planning to use the pole saw for a while.
Just recently my Son in Law needed to trim some trees, so I decided to prep the pole saw to help him out.
Now the chain bar is not getting oil and it is leaking a lot. I will take it apart again and do a deep cleaning. Will share with you if I found anything beside what I have read so far.
For what I have read so far it seemed to be a common problem with those Stihl pole saws regardless a the models new or old.

Back