Help me pick a splitter: Size & brand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnywitt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I've been using my Dolmar 7900 with an HD Air filter kit on my Log Pile and it just rips through the pile. I've developed a beeg Problemo in the el armo though. I was doing pretty good with the 'ol SS Fiskars Maul, but my elbow has developed "tennis elbow" and I can hardly split at all now. I'm draggin' anchor real bad on the splittin duty.
You Guys steered me right on the saw, ( also on a Log Rite Peavey) so I'm back for more advice. I mostly have Red and White oak, along with some Hickory (stringy stuff, that Hickory) ,Beech and a little Ash and Cherry. Mostly Oak though. My logs are mostly 30-45" diameter, with some odd 65" here and there. I plan to cut about 8-12 cords a year for now, although I'm on the side of the Hwy. and I think I might start selling split wood in the future. People see me and pull over asking do I want to sell 'em some wood all the time. If I get a 22T for the time being, will it handle a 65" butt?
TSC, as you know, has all the Huskees on sale till SUN: from the 22T, to the 35T. Also Home Depot has the Ariens 27T with the Subaru/Robins engine on sale as well. Should I get one of these or hold out for a Super Splitter, or a Timberwolf, I&O... ect. I can't seem to find anything decent used on Craigs List.

i can highly recommend the iron and oak 26ton h/v with a honda gx. for around 2200 delivered it was the right splitter for any job ill ever do and then some. fwiw if cycle times are a concern the iron and oak has a 12 second cyle time which is fast in my book compared to some, buy with confidence:givebeer:

i can highly recommend the iron and oak 26ton h/v with a honda gx. for around 2200 delivered it was the right splitter for any job ill ever do and then some. fwiw if cycle times are a concern the iron and oak has a 12 second cyle time which is fast in my book compared to some, buy with confidence:givebeer:

JBH, will it take a 4 way head? Will it split the big 65" rounds? What is the difference when you get the better quality I&O. Is it in the frame? Hydraulics? I guess if I'm going to get a pro grade hydro splitter its got to take a 4 way (or more) head. Still haven't decided on not just getting a smaller "throw down" splitter for the time being till I see how many folks around here are going to want some split wood. Then again, I might not want to jack with it at all. Something like this would have the potential to cut into my beer joint time.

Last edited:
If I get a 22T for the time being, will it handle a 65" butt?
TSC, as you know, has all the Huskees on sale till SUN: from the 22T, to the 35T. Also Home Depot has the Ariens 27T with the Subaru/Robins engine on sale as well. Should I get one of these or hold out for a Super Splitter, or a Timberwolf, I&O... ect. I can't seem to find anything decent used on Craigs List.
No, If I had a 65" round to split it would be quartered with the saw and then the 22 ton would handle it. If most of my rounds were always 36" plus and I all ready had a bad elbow I'd be looking for a splitter with a log lift. Consistently wrestling rounds that size under any vertical splitter is slow hard work, especially if I have any notion of selling wood and healing my elbow.
My 22 ton has been a great value for me , but 36" rounds are the exception not the norm and I'd still noodle those 36"ers in half before I split them.

Big Rounds

30" and larger rounds are large enough to make anyone's back and elbows ache. If you are splitting red and white oak any of the splitters mentioned will do the job.

However like mentioned above splitting large ones in the vertical is work for sure. I'd have to noodle those large ones and it would still be a wise investment to have a log lift. With quarters that large I'd also want a cradle for the opposite side to where I load a log.

Nosmo

I picked up the Huskee a few weeks ago so not alot of use on it yet. I've got to say that you will have a hard time beating &1599. From everything heard from this and other sites, you can't beat Speeco's service. We did split a couple of 36" or so pin oak and it was no problem at all.
Good luck.

My experience with CL when window shopping for splitters:

Persistence and time. They pop up, just not always.

In my area (near three different states and numerous metro areas) using an engine like searchtempest.com to search multiple CL sites at once saves a lot of time.

I *think* searchtempest can be setup to run periodically and email you alerts of new hits? Not positive.

Just going by expierence. I got rock solid Elm delivered to me. You can put an atomic bomb in a round of Elm and the Elm wouldn't explode. LOL

I bought and got delivered a Troy Bilt 27Ton with Honda Motor from Lowes for $1500. Was splitting the Elm no problem. Height on it is perfect for me. I'm 5'7". Comes with 2" hitch and large wheels for high speed towing. It's getting a little slow for me now. 19 second. I need a 10 second machine!

Pretty much decided to get the TSC Huskee 22T. Saw a guy on youtube with it and I think that I will be able to get by with it till I can see if I get more into the commercial side. I can always unload it later around here if I decide to get a commercial splitter with a HYD Log Lift and all the bells.

Btw, Huskee has reinforced the foot and enlarged it on the 2010 model 22T. The SKU is #1032822. This is the one that my local TSC has instock for sale this weekend. The 35T they have is last years model. That sort made my decision easier. Buying stuff is hard work with all the research and all. Too many choices out there.

Does anybody know if 33Flame is still selling the Log Catchers for the Huskee 22T? I tried looking on Egay and I couldn't find one. The new 22T have the predrilled holes for a log catcher now.

I believe speeco is making their own log catcher for their units, that's why you have the pre-drilled holes. The nice thing about theirs is that the machine will go vertical with the catcher still on and the one sold on fleebay will not. I made my own a few years back and it must be removed prior to switching to vertical.
Overall I'm happy with my five year old 22 ton huskee and it has split over forty cords without any problems.
My only complaint is the "C" channel tongue where the pin is bolted through to hold the beam in the horizontal position is weak. You need to gently lower the beam onto the pin or the "C" channel will buckle and distort see in the photo how that pin is crooked to the tongue. I tended to drop the beam from 6 to 10" up and repeatedly doing this the weight of the beam started punching the pin through the tongue. Since this picture was taken in '08 I have straightened and reinforced this area with some .25" flat stock. Hopefully the new models have improved this area, if not it is an easy improvement.

Pretty much decided to get the TSC Huskee 22T. Saw a guy on youtube with it and I think that I will be able to get by with it till I can see if I get more into the commercial side. I can always unload it later around here if I decide to get a commercial splitter with a HYD Log Lift and all the bells.

Does anybody know if 33Flame is still selling the Log Catchers for the Huskee 22T? I tried looking on Egay and I couldn't find one. The new 22T have the predrilled holes for a log catcher now.

I think you will be happy with the Huskee. You can always get most of your money out of it later if you want something bigger and faster.

There is a thread about making your own table. It works great. It cost about $15 in materials. Splitting is much easier with a table.

Thanks again for all the help & advise. I'll let you Folks know how it works out after I get some use out of it. Looking forward to getting a little R&R time on the Fiskar SS Maul: not that it not the best maul out there, but its still a maul. I can't believe I was splitting oak that big with only my SS. I only used a sledge and wedge 2 times. The rest of the time the SS worked around the edges of the round would take 'em down. I'd still be doing it if my elbow didn't go south on me. I really enjoy splitting with my SS Maul (its real easy to keep sharp as well). Well... off to TSC to spend a G Note. Cheers!:cheers:

Back