Help me picking up the right saw! 545 or 550XP ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright then, I guess I'm being too careful. I won't pick a low-kickback chain then. Any recommendation for a good chain then?
So if I understand, it's like a new car that needs 5000km to break in. The chainsaw will need 3-5 gas tank or something like that... I won't judge it right of the bat then! Thank you for your time, Jeff

More like 10-20 tanks, but it varies.

Oregon LPX is the fastest .325 chain you can buy today - but it is chisel chain, and dulls quickly in dirty wood. There is no single chain model that is "best" under all conditions.

RE kickback, I'm reading a good book ''Homeowner's complete guide to the chainsaw'' and some youtube videos. I get it now, but I guess it will have to happen once so I know exactly what it is? I wanted to take a small training course but it's $500 for 2 days...no thank you. It's too bad because I'll have to learn on my own, I'll be all by myself there. Thanks again! Jeff

I prefer an 18" bar so I don't have to bend down so far for limbing etc. Just hold onto the saw like you mean it....just like any other power tool you use. Be very careful cutting by yourself. Accidents do happen. Best to have someone there in case of emergency. Enjoy your new saw and be safe.:rock:

More like 10-20 tanks, but it varies.

Oregon LPX is the fastest .325 chain you can buy today - but it is chisel chain, and dulls quickly in dirty wood. There is no single chain model that is "best" under all conditions.

Wow 10-20 tanks is more than I though, thank you for letting me know. That way I won't wonder what's going on after 2 tanks...
I guess for the chain I'll talk to the guys at the store and see what they recommend for bucking.

BTW My wife's mom is from Norway too!

Cheers and thanks for your time

I prefer an 18" bar so I don't have to bend down so far for limbing etc. Just hold onto the saw like you mean it....just like any other power tool you use. Be very careful cutting by yourself. Accidents do happen. Best to have someone there in case of emergency. Enjoy your new saw and be safe.:rock:

I'm 6', maybe I should stay with my first though and stick to the 18'' then. I guess I'll have a look at the size of my trees and figure out from there. I sure will be safe and thank you for your advices, Cheers Jeff

Im 6'5". I still prefer 16'' on a 50cc. 18'' on a 60. 20'' on the 70cc. 24'' on the 80+. I didnt read the thread but good rule is 1'' per 3cc which puts a 16'' on the 50cc saw. Can a 50cc pull a 18-20''? Some do it well enough but with a 16'' that saw will be blazin thru the cut which allows a momentary reprieve before the next cut.

I ain't a pro but I'm surely not new to saws. I am looking to get a 550xp in the near future, so I can't tell you which one is better of the two, but on paper the 550xp is better all around. You can't go wrong with any husky, but I would get a pro saw. If you only want one, though, a 562xp might be a consideration. It can stay with a 372xp up to a 24'', but you will work it. The 562xp is unanimously the perfect one saw plan. But, if I were you, I would grab a 550xp and never look back.

Im 6'5". I still prefer 16'' on a 50cc. 18'' on a 60. 20'' on the 70cc. 24'' on the 80+. I didnt read the thread but good rule is 1'' per 3cc which puts a 16'' on the 50cc saw. Can a 50cc pull a 18-20''? Some do it well enough but with a 16'' that saw will be blazin thru the cut which allows a momentary reprieve before the next cut.

Okay and thank you for the explanation, I think I'll go for the 16'' finally. Also it is mostly for bucking and 16'' should be plenty and easy to manoeuver. If I need longer I guess I'll have to buy another one ;) Anyways I think I would be interested to mill my own wood in the future so I larger saw would be needed. Cheers, Jeff

I ain't a pro but I'm surely not new to saws. I am looking to get a 550xp in the near future, so I can't tell you which one is better of the two, but on paper the 550xp is better all around. You can't go wrong with any husky, but I would get a pro saw. If you only want one, though, a 562xp might be a consideration. It can stay with a 372xp up to a 24'', but you will work it. The 562xp is unanimously the perfect one saw plan. But, if I were you, I would grab a 550xp and never look back.

Thanks for your point of view, I appreciate that.
I though the 545 was considered somewhat of a pro saw? Other that the revboost and a bit more power from the 550, I don't see more difference. Am I missing something here?
I'll have a look at the 562 to see the difference!
Jeff

Last edited:
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 545 AND 550XP

550 has full circle crankshaft adapters, different timing on the cylinder porting, higher limit on the coil, silver clutch cover, and a black streak on the air filter cover.

All the other parts are the same including the carburetor and piston.

The 562XP is larger, heavier, and more powerful. There is also the 555 that is to the 562XP like the 545 is to the 550XP

The 545 is a "Semi-pro" saw. It's basically the same thing, like he said, but a few differences like power, weight, etc.. I personally would get a true pro-saw because that's me. If you're a money saver then by all means get the 545. Can't go wrong with either of the two, or the 562xp.

The 545 is a "Semi-pro" saw. It's basically the same thing, like he said, but a few differences like power, weight, etc.. I personally would get a true pro-saw because that's me. If you're a money saver then by all means get the 545. Can't go wrong with either of the two, or the 562xp.

Hell, I'm not even a "semi-pro" so I'm sitting on top of the world with a 545. :jester:

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 545 AND 550XP

550 has full circle crankshaft adapters, different timing on the cylinder porting, higher limit on the coil, silver clutch cover, and a black streak on the air filter cover.

All the other parts are the same including the carburetor and piston.

The 562XP is larger, heavier, and more powerful. There is also the 555 that is to the 562XP like the 545 is to the 550XP

Thank you very much for the precision, now it is more clear!

The 562XP seams to me a little too big for bucking but again I don't know much, I just figured 50cc would be good for that matter.

I guess another question come to my mind now. Let's say I want to mill some lumber at one point like 2x14x16 would be my largest project (I have some very nice cedar that I will have take down by someone at one point) Would the 562 do the job?

Because if it does, I might take the 562 then if I can do both jobs with. But, if I need 70cc and up for milling then I'll stick with 50cc for bucking and buying a larger saw for milling later.

Sorry to jump from a subject to another, I just want to make the right decision!
Thanks everybody for all the help so far!
Cheers, Jeff

It's just for now I'm not even a semi-pro but I do want to very good saw that will last. I have lots to do with it!
The difference between the two is about $160 here in Canada and I don't know if the price overweight the small difference that I might not even recognise. I'm thinking of buying it in the USA at this point and skip the warranty, the pro saw would be cheaper than the semi-pro even after shipping and import taxes. The price difference is that crazy...

A saw big enough to do the milling would be too big and heavy for your other jobs

It's just for now I'm not even a semi-pro but I do want to very good saw that will last. I have lots to do with it!
The difference between the two is about $160 here in Canada and I don't know if the price overweight the small difference that I might not even recognise. I'm thinking of buying it in the USA at this point and skip the warranty, the pro saw would be cheaper than the semi-pro even after shipping and import taxes. The price difference is that crazy...

If the pro-saw is cheaper then get it. A pro saw will in mostly all cases be better, even though you may not notice them. They're both good saws from what I've heard, and all in all it comes down to whether or not you like silver with orange!

If the pro-saw is cheaper then get it. A pro saw will in mostly all cases be better, even though you may not notice them. They're both good saws from what I've heard, and all in all it comes down to whether or not you like silver with orange!

Thanks again! The pro saw is cheaper if I buy it from the neighbour!
I don't have any problem with the orange/silver combination at all!!
Cheers, Jeff

Thanks again! The pro saw is cheaper if I buy it from the neighbour!
I don't have any problem with the orange/silver combination at all!!
Cheers, Jeff

If it's in good shape, runs good, and is a fair price, get it!
(I like the orange with the silver also!) :rock:

Thank you very much for the precision, now it is more clear!

The 562XP seams to me a little too big for bucking but again I don't know much, I just figured 50cc would be good for that matter.

I guess another question come to my mind now. Let's say I want to mill some lumber at one point like 2x14x16 would be my largest project (I have some very nice cedar that I will have take down by someone at one point) Would the 562 do the job?

Because if it does, I might take the 562 then if I can do both jobs with. But, if I need 70cc and up for milling then I'll stick with 50cc for bucking and buying a larger saw for milling later.

Sorry to jump from a subject to another, I just want to make the right decision!
Thanks everybody for all the help so far!
Cheers, Jeff

If you're going to mill, you really want at least an 80cc saw, and that is on the low marginal end of the power scale and you'd be better off with a 100cc saw. I've used an 80cc saw with a 20" bar as my only saw for 15 years. While I appreciate the speed it cuts at, honestly bucking with it all day puts a strain on your back.

To put a 60cc saw in perspective, it's got 20% more displacement than a 50cc saw, but typically only weigh one pound or 10% more than a 50cc saw.

Latest posts

Back