Help me picking up the right saw! 545 or 550XP ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to mill, you really want at least an 80cc saw, and that is on the low marginal end of the power scale and you'd be better off with a 100cc saw. I've used an 80cc saw with a 20" bar as my only saw for 15 years. While I appreciate the speed it cuts at, honestly bucking with it all day puts a strain on your back.

To put a 60cc saw in perspective, it's got 20% more displacement than a 50cc saw, but typically only weigh one pound or 10% more than a 50cc saw.

Yes, I totally agree with you. After reading more on the subject I figured a 90cc + would do the trick for me since it will be mostly cedar that I will mill. Re your 80cc with a 20'', I figured I could buy one saw to do bucking and mild milling like that combo but again like you said I would just break my back and not enjoy the bucking part so much. It's like my drills (12v and 18v) while the 18v will do it all it is not the most comfortable for lets say, screwing drywall. On the flip side the 12V will handle the 3'' screws but it is no way like the 18v... I'm sorry I compare with what I know! Anyways there's no such things has a one tool do it all and there's a reason why you guys have several saws. I'll start with the 50cc for bucking and once I get used to it, I'll shop for another saw for my milling projects.

I know the 60cc VS 50cc is big in power but the weight difference is very small but I still think I should stick to the 50cc because I'm a newbie and I would think a pro 50cc is enough for my needs anyways.

Thanks for your time and point of view much appreciated! Jeff

Latest posts

Back