Help me whip my buddies saw!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, this thread could use some GaryWay products...

GaryGoo.jpg

The new formula has more... Errr... Carbonation.

GaryGooImproved.jpg

I think we may need some of this cream in this thread as well...

NewbCream.jpg

I think about the only way to make that saw faster is to throw it harder. :D :laugh:

Seriously Clay, if the saw is running properly and the chain is sharp, not much else you can do for it.... it is what it is.

Only thing I can say is pay attention to your rakers, the chain can be sharp as a razor but if the rakers are to high you'll just be burning wood with a screaming saw.

A muff mod could certainly help but then your gonna need to retune the carb, no offence meant cause we all started somewhere, but if your still not filing your own chains you're probably not ready to tackle carb tuning yet. Best to have it set by a dealer.... but then he's probably just gonna set it fat and send you on your way.

My older brother cuts (and I use the term loosely) with a MacCat and he'll tell you the best thing he ever did was to put a Stihl PM chain on it... good luck. :cheers:

Is there any way to post video of you starting, reeving, cutting, and a close-up of the chain cutters? I also cut at altitude and i does make a difference but a sharp chain and a muffler mod goes a long way.

Just don't run it against outdoorlivings 359:greenchainsaw:
I'm sure that is the case, you know the saws well as you built both of them.

I fired mine up tonight after getting the new rim and b/c on it, it has plenty of power for what I need done, EVEN without doing a muffler mod.

I'll start craving more power after I've used it for a while...:laugh:

Cheers,
TT

This is my first post on this forum and I have some problems!

I have a McCulloch MacCat 38cc Model cs38 16"

Every time my buddies and I go to cut wood, I am the slowest in the group and my chain cuts like crap. Their saws are not bigger than mine in cc but they cut faster. I had one of my buddies sharpen the chain, but it didn't help and they keep making fun of the saw (and me!). Can anyone give me some advice on how to mod or make the saw kick my buddies butts?!?

P.S. I am not going to get a new saw.

i did not think you can take a switch to a chainsaw ?

This guy has it figured out. He also specializes in building small mac's.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqHWHswHqRY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqHWHswHqRY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i will give u

ok u want to beat your buddys file your rakers down all the way . and if you are going to buy a new saw dont buy a still you cant get any chain speed out of them buy husky only all i ever ran was a husky 266 xp and that was one of the best saws out there

ok u want to beat your buddys file your rakers down all the way . and if you are going to buy a new saw dont buy a still you cant get any chain speed out of them buy husky only all i ever ran was a husky 266 xp and that was one of the best saws out there
:popcorn::popcorn: Gonna need two boxes of popcorn for this one.

"(small engines, green in color, but I don't know the type)"

It sounds like your buddies are running Wild Things, if thats the case then I'd just go cut somwhere else. You won't be able to keep up with a well tuned Wild Thing!

Don't think i would want to hang on to a saw with no rakers.
i think it we be ok i was a professnal saw operator for ten years and i all ways filed my rakers down to get faster and a better cutting i all so had a gd chain saw husky 266 xp 24 inch bar . but if your realy concernd about it file them down half way try that

Back