help need new climbing saw 338xp or200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26newtreeguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just spend little over have my day trying to fix my 338xp. I had problem with the muffle bolts. I Fix it, had re-tap the theed. To get the muffle back on. Then for some how the oil line came off. It is not easy to get at it and end up braking the wheel spindle. So I had to bring it to the shop. The call me back and said it needs $240.00 part and at least 3hr labor($65). So I'am not sure if should buy another 338xp or just go with the 200T and spend another hundred dollars more. I had the 338xp for two season and havn't had many problems with it. But the have the 338xp in stock But it well take few days for the 200t. So have place my order Thurday.

I'd be temped to stick w/ the 338 if it's been working for you. Then you can either keep the first for parts or take your time and get it put back together (hopefully cheaper) and have a spare.

Guess if you get a 200t you could still put the 338 together as a spare or sell it as a parts saw/fixer upper.

Same dealer sells both? If so why doesn't he stock 200t's?

Chaser

26newtreeguy said:
I think I want to just to go with the 200t. On my 338xp used 16inch bar should I go with the 14'' or 16" bar on the 200t?
I have the 14 on my 200T and the 16 on my 200. Also look at getting the e-lite bar.

I have the 14 on my 200T and the 16 on my 200. Also look at getting the e-lite bar.

26newtreeguy said:
I just spend little over have my day trying to fix my 338xp. I had problem with the muffle bolts. I Fix it, had re-tap the theed. To get the muffle back on. Then for some how the oil line came off. It is not easy to get at it and end up braking the wheel spindle. So I had to bring it to the shop. The call me back and said it needs $240.00 part and at least 3hr labor($65). So I'am not sure if should buy another 338xp or just go with the 200T and spend another hundred dollars more. I had the 338xp for two season and havn't had many problems with it. But the have the 338xp in stock But it well take few days for the 200t. So have place my order Thurday.
What is a wheel spindle? Is that near the muffler bearing?

26newtreeguy said:
The dealer just did have any of the 200t in stock. But he want's $550 PLUS sales taxes = 577.50 out the door.

$509.99 in Texas

26newtreeguy said:
I wish I could get new one for under $500 bills. Because I really don't want to climb with my silky or my 575xp No fun either way.

Take some time and call around. The new 200T that I got was the last one before a price increase (that is the reason I bought it), now they are $539.

26newtreeguy said:

Mike Maas said:
What is a wheel spindle? Is that near the muffler bearing?

Laugh about that all you want, I got called on this one!!! 1985 BMW 325i, I believe, has muffler bearings!!!! Leave it to an engineer!!
Andy

????

What is the wheel spindle that you broke?
Would you mean the end of the crank?

That would be the only single piece 240 dollar part I can think of on that saw
though I have no clue how it would run that way???

Latest posts

Back