Help, need some idears

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just started

Reaction score
Help, need some input

I started my tree company 2 years ago and since then its been nothing but problems. It seems like every time I get a big job my chipper(Morbark 2400) decide's to die on me. So far its just been stupid malfunctions, but still every time it goes to the shop it costs me money which I'm starting to run out of. I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers as what to check. I was doing a job yesterday and the chipper was working fine all day. We got to chipping up the last tree and in the middle of a branch the chipper blew out a big puff of white smoke from the muffler and then died. I tried to restart it but it would'nt go. The engine turns but it just won't start. If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be I would really appreciate some input as I don't know anything about diesel's.

Last edited:
The first thing to check is the fuel cut off solenoid. It should be located in the fuel line close to the injector pump.
If the engine has oil and did not make any terrible noises before it died it is probably in the fuel delivery system. I have seen fuel pump drives break and once a cam broke that caused a problem like yours.
If you do not know anything about diesels it can be kind of hard to diagnose over the web.

Check the oil pump many diesels like that have an oil pressure cut off if oil pressure would drop then the engine shuts off. With the puff of white smoke that would lead me to think that. Also agree with joe sawer that check the fuel delivery both are easy checks and won't cost any money other than time. To check the fuel system just pull the infront of the injector pump off and check to see that you have fuel supplied. If so then pull the number one injector off and cycle the engine to see that you have fuel coming through the pump. It should be one quick squirt then another. If that check out head to the oil pump find a manual oil pressure gauge from someone and check it. Let me know if you need more help. I spent many years as an Agi mechanic worked on hundreds of diesels.
Jared

Same exact thing happened to us

Earlier in the summer same thing happened

chipper running fine

lets out puff of white smoke

then quits

we replaced all filters

diesel pump

worked on this thing for lots of hours

turns out

fuel pick up had a pin hole crack in it

wow wish we would have checked that first

a little jb weld , bled the lines

back in business

I thought this post looked familiar. (Identical threads "need someone with knowledge of chippers" & "thanks for the help with my chipper")

Just Started found the source of his problem. He open a new thread in Arborist 101 under the heading "Thanks for the help with my chipper"

I copied and pasted (?) it here in case any of you missed it.

________

"Dear friends at arbor site, thank you for all the great tips and info reguarding my chipper problem. It turned out to be a clogged pickup in my tank.

I think what happened is that i had moved my truck a bit with the chipper in idle( some thing I've never done before); and my chipper tire bounced in and out of a rutt. I feel that maybe the pump picked up some thick sludge from the bottom of the tank. It's a used 2400 with a 125 J D, and I've never cleaned the tank.

thank you for your help

spinner

P.S. The tank is spotless now."

Last edited:
Back