Help needed: Brand new Husqvarna 3120XP issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will probably get the help you need here, but if you go to the top of the menu and start scrolling down you will come to the milling forum, and that's all those guys do. I have two milling saws, a 1970's Homelite Super 1050 with a 45" bar and 404 chain and I bought a brand new 660 with a 36" bar 6-8 years ago. I make sure I use rails on every cut, sticking out about 18" on both ends. That gives me an in take and out take table for the saw to run on. Makes sure it gets a good square start and finish. The other thing, I was in the tree business, fourth generation, and there was a big learning curve between bucking firewood or saw logs, and milling. I can mill 3 maybe 4, 28'-32" Oak slabs, 8' long, and have to stop and touch up the chain. I experimented and milled till I had to push harder than I should, took the saw off the mill, and bucked firewood logs. It cut the firewood like hot butter, put it back on the mill and had to push way too hard. Milling takes the edge off quick, touch up frequently.

Sorry, I just looked, you've been around a while. Try the milling forum, they will get you squared away.

I think it was a combination of the chain being a little tight and also rubbing against the plastic guides. It seems to have gone away.

Hi guys. So I was able to run the chainsaw trouble free for a bit, but when I replaced the chain with a new chain (same brand/model, Woodland Pro) the problem returned. I do not believe the white plastic chain guides are the issue at this point. I brought the unit back into the dealer, they installed a Stihl 123 drive link .063" x .404" drive chain and the problem disappeared instantly, no adjusting, just the sweet sound of 125CC's. We looked at the Woodland Pro chain and noticed that there seem to be wear on the rivets of the chain, as if it is rubbing. We measured the Woodland pro chain rivet width at .246", the Stihl chain came in at .240". I called Grandberg, the measured their ripping chain at .235". It seems unlikely that .006" would create this problem, but you never know.

Has anyone had issues with a Woodland Pro chain?
Thats pretty AWESOME that this fellow bought the 125cc version, to bad every one else gets the 119cc one.

Back