Help! New to saws. What safety equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow! I looked away and this thread exploded!

As far as the left hand vs right handed, I am right handed so the standard hold should be the most comfortable hold for me.

7sleeper, I have a question. The guy in your first vid had the round file level. I thought the handle of the file is supposed to be lower than the tip? Well, that is what my 435 manual said.
I have Husqvarna's file guide that looks like an "O". This one: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/chainsaw-accessories/file-gauges/ Well, mine has the attached raker guide. I used it on the used Husqvarna H30 chain that came on my used saw. It left me with some questions. The file only hit the top plate and it was making the angle more obtuse. It didno seem to hit much of the corner. I could not get the file to go into the gullet, even when freehanding. I am almost positive that I have the correct file size. Maybe the previous owner used the wrong size. I doesn't matter though. I was already planing to replace the bar and chain. So I can afford to experiment with the old chain. Not a fan of grinders for sharpening. I am coming off of an extensive history with knife and machete sharpening. To easy to burn the cutter.

One last question about sharpening, what do you do if you generate a burr? Do you lightly dress the non beveled side of the cutter?
@ANewSawyer

most questions have already been answered by very competent fellows here. What I would recomend is not to overthink things too much. We are NOT talking about razor sharp knives or similar, this is a chain saw, the next evolutionary step to a hammer. With a chain running ~50-60feet/second in wood, even a grain of sand has some impact on sharpness! So remember we don't want razor sharp in any way, simply not worth the hassle if you want to cut wood. If you do it for the looks then do what you think is nice.
Much more important is good cutting technique! Ground contact, even a tenth of a second, means that your chain has traveled ~5-6feet in abrasive dulling media! So back to filing is the moto! Next is your wood is dirty, use an axe to chop away the dirty bark where you want to cut. Those few moments will spare you refilling time!

The grinder I mentioned above is, in my eyes, an excelent beginners model! Why? Quite simple, first the results you can achieve are at least as good as store bought stihl chain, second there isn't a lot you can do wrong with these, the top angle is fixed to 60° and you choose whatever side angle you want(about all stihl chain is 60°/30°, so that is what I do) and third it is actually quite weak (80W engine) so there is not much to worry about burning a chian! If you press to hard the engine will stall. Then again using a grinder has more to do with "kissing" the cutter, instead of acting like you are using an angle grinder on rebar! Forth it is a very easy way to bring all cutters back to speck if you hit something "unfriendly"(rock, nail, bullet, etc.). Doing that with a file is something for very bored people.

You can see my comparison results on an el cheapo grinder here.

Good luck! and don't forget ppe (=personal protection equipment = chaps, helmet, eye & ear protection, etc.)

Thanks for all the great replies! I am still learning. From what philbert said I think that the file was not set yet. Or I could have been using to large of a file. I don't think it is the later, though. Keep posting anything you guys think I should know! I am still reading even if I don't have time to post.

Keep posting anything you guys think I should know! I am still reading even if I don't have time to post.

There is a TON of stuff already posted here on AS. The best way to search it is actually through Google. E.g. Google 'Arboristsite mixing fuel' and you will get better results than using the AS search feature. Too much stuff to copy to this thread - lots of things to read through if you have a question on a specific issue.

Philbert

Something I meant to say but forgot to type yesterday: It seems like sharpening the cutters is more in getting all of the cutting plate angles correct and edges crisp rather than in producing a really fine edge. I may be wrong about though.

Always have good footing and balance before cutting anything, anywhere. Let common sense win every argument that may involve risk of personal injury or property damage.

Let common sense win every argument that may involve risk of personal injury or property damage.
Common sense is a good thing to have. But it is limited to things that we have personally experienced. Things like barber-chairs and kick-back are not necessarily obvious. So it is good to also learn from others.

I have learned a lot about unexpected hazards, and keep learning on sites like this.

Philbert

When you get tired, put the saw away. Way to easy to make silly and dangerous mistakes if you continue to work while tired.
I read a lot of injury reports. Common prefaces to the description of injury include:
'It was getting late . . . .'
'I just wanted to finish one more . . . '
'Something did not feel right . . . '

When I am doing storm clean up and start getting tired, I put away the power tools, and pick up loppers, a rake, etc., if I want to keep working.

Philbert

Back