Help pick a saw to complement an MS210

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds fair, especially since you will likely get dealer support even though it is used. If you can stretch it, the 362 C-M is a very good saw. You will not have to tune it (M-Tronic), the design will keep the air filter cleaner much longer, and stock it will have more power than the 361.

When you cut those 20" hardwoods, you will be happy you do not have a lesser saw, and it is new & will have warranty.

I'd like to put a 20" bar on it. Primary wood types are mature Pine, Gum, Poplar, Cypress, Oak, and Maple.
You must be close to my neck of the woods. Near the Dismal Swamp are you?

If you can swing it financially, the "Pro" grade saws are worth the extra money. They are smoother running and are more comfortable to operate for long periods. Last a lot longer to boot. $400 bucks for a MS361 ain't bad IF the internals are in good shape. Ask to hear it run. One way to check for cylinder wear is to pick the saw up by the starter rope. If the rope comes out easily and gravity pulls the saw down after a second or less (be sure compression release button is not depressed), move on. If you pick it up and it stops at the compression and stays there for a bit, it's probably a safe bet. Not as exact a science as a compression test, but consider it an indicator when used saw shopping and you're trying to "assess risk".

Already have a small saw. Time for a biggun. 460 or 660.

Well, it sounds to me that the sales rep for Stihl thinks that because you bought too small a saw the first time you should do the same thing again.... lol.... If you are going to cut for years buy a pro saw. Buy a used pro saw here in the trading post, or if you are understandably nervous about trusting a stranger, buy one here from a site sponsor. It's worth it.

30 years of cutting wood faster with a lighter saw has got to be worth the $ spent for a pro saw. I rebuilt a straight gassed 036 tonight, simple easy task, parts are everywhere, I paid $83 for a Hyway piston and cylinder kit...... A 391 is not simple to rebuild....

Stumbled across a 2010 MS361. Its a dealer used and they are asking $400. Spent a few minutes looking it over and it appears to be in cosmetically fair condition but it obviously used (guessing a landscaper or work saw). Dealer staff said they went through it, did a tune-up, and everything checked out ok. Kicking myself now for not getting pictures.

Anyway, plan to go back tomorrow to get eyes on the sprocket, ask about compression numbers (120+ is what I am looking for?), and of course fire it up. Anything else I should look for or ask about?

Assuming it all checks out, does the price seem ok?

That is not a bad price at all. Most dealers will give you a warranty as a good will gesture. I have a 361 and it is a solid saw. Mine runs a 20" B&C but every now and again it will wear a 25 for a night out!

Stumbled across a 2010 MS361. Its a dealer used and they are asking $400.

You started out with a simple question, then went all over the place (your spreadsheet covers the equivalent of everything from a Smart Car to a Hummer, in car terms).

Back to basics: you wanted to pull a 20 inch bar; you feel comfortable with STIHL saws; you are not necessarily a saw mechanic. Based on that, a used MS 361 for $400 from a dealer you trust would be a good deal and a very good fit for you.

Philbert

Philbert,
Thanks for the input. This was starting to get a little whack-a-mole-ish both on and off the forum. I think things started to go awry after I opened up to other brand suggestions. Pretty sure I am back on track now. I should be good to go Monday morning when the dealer opens.

Stumbled across a 2010 MS361. Its a dealer used and they are asking $400. Spent a few minutes looking it over and it appears to be in cosmetically fair condition but it obviously used (guessing a landscaper or work saw). Dealer staff said they went through it, did a tune-up, and everything checked out ok. Kicking myself now for not getting pictures.

Anyway, plan to go back tomorrow to get eyes on the sprocket, ask about compression numbers (120+ is what I am looking for?), and of course fire it up. Anything else I should look for or ask about?

Assuming it all checks out, does the price seem ok?
Anything less than 140 and I'd have them put rings in it.

Thanks sld961. I was going to check compression unscientifically with the starter cord test but didn't really have a specific number to evaluate go/no-go criteria. Having said that, testing the 361 for efficacy may no longer be necessary. Funny story.......

I had every intention of getting up bright and early tomorrow to meet the dealer staff at the door when they opened to bargain for the 361. Even did a drive-by tonight to make sure it was still there. In the car the wife asked me a simple question I found difficult to answer. Referring to the used 361 she asked, "Is that the saw you want or the saw you are settling for."

Technically its both. It meets my requirements (see original post). Its a pro saws, its basically synonymous with the 362, can pull a 20" bar, and is sufficiently larger than the 210. Plus it is used so its less expensive than any of the new alternatives. So in a way the used 361 is 'the saw I want'. But not really. 'Good enough' might be a better descriptor for the 361 (in the context of what I have been looking for).

I must admit reservations to buying a used saw. It's dealer used and generally a dealer won't offer something that could make them look bad. But for some reason my spidey sense was tingling a little on this one. Can't put my finger on anything specific although the chain catch was pretty bent up which made me wonder about how well the saw was loved in its past life. Most important though, I was/am worried that neither the 361 nor 362 is not going to provide the power I am expecting. Don't get me wrong, I think they are awesome saws and have coveted them for some time. It's far more a function of my perceived requirements and far less about suggesting a 361 or 362 are less than optimal saws. When I really thought about the answer to my wife's question I realized the used 361, or even a new 362 were the saws I was settling for. I want a 441. ;)

Buy an 046 for the same price as that 361. Done :)

No doubt the 441 is the "next level" up, almost 20% more displacement than the 362, and it has M-Tonic and the new system that will keep the filter clean longer. It is also heavier & bulkier.

As a bucking saw, it is great, and if the wood you plan to cut is 20" or more, absolutely get it. Should work well with a 24" bar.

... I want a 441... ;)

Then you've answered your own query. No need to look here for justification, we're mostly a bunch of enablers, with just enough dissenters thrown in to mess with your head.

Of course, I wonder if a really nice 044/440 isn't Really what you want, unless you're liking the M-Tune, spring A/V, and superior air filtration.

The 441 will be a little heavier. If you are a strong boy, you can handle it. The 046 or 460 will be significantly heavier. Both will pull the 32" bar that the 361 cannot. And, a 28" bar is about as much as the 441 can pull.

On the other hand, you are now pushing $1,000 new for a new 460. But, after all, it's only money.

Yes! Pro quality at homeowner prices. I could have bought two Dolmars that fit my needs for the price of my Stihl. My PS-421 is excellent. Not knocking my Stihl purchase, but I think I would have done things differently. 42cc and 64cc Dolmars, if I could do it all over again.

For the sake of helping me make an informed decision, please open the recommendations to include comparable models from Echo and Dolmar. I am guessing CS-590, 600P and PS6100, 6400 respectively?

Epilogue:
Soooo…..I went in to check on the status of that used 361 a week after I first saw it and the price had jumped from $400 to $550. :mad: Apparently saws age like fine wine. Guessing someone goofed when they first quoted me the price. A little disappointed I did not jump on it back then. Water under the bridge at this point because they sold it.

After all the back and forth I ended up coming home with a 362C-M/20”. I know I said I wanted the 441. After throwing the power heads around in the dealership doing my best Leatherface impersonation I decided I liked the weight and feel of the 362 best. It turns out I am cheap and lazy. The 362 saved me about $200 and 2 pounds of weight.

Being realistic, the 362/20” will handle 95% of what I need to do. No one is paying me to cut wood so I’m choosing weight over power. I realize I’ll need to take more time on larger wood but that’s ok. I’d rather do two cuts on a 30” trunk with a 362/20” than one cut with a 441/32” and have to lug the bigger saw around all day.

But wait, there’s more! :)

I asked for two extra chains. While getting them, sales rep confirmed the chain that comes with the saw must be a low kick greenie. Ok then, better give me three extra chains. But if you buy four you get the fifth one free. Very well. I assume you also want the case of oil to double the warranty? Absolutely. And I also need this no spill gas can and a gallon of bar oil. Cha ching…cha ching…cha ching… Hey, do you offer a military discount for retired? Why yes. Whoot. Whoot. So I ended up with everything out the door for a little over what the saw alone lists for.

In the end I am very pleased. Thank you everyone for your comments, recommendations, and input. Everyone was a big help.

And, do not forget that in a pinch, a 361 or 362 will pull a 25" bar with 84 drive links of 3/8" pitch chain. I do it all the time with mine. You can get this bar as a 3rd party brand that should work fine in a pinch because your main bar is the 20" bar. If you ever buy a 25" bar, send me your address via. PM and I will send you two chains for a 25" bar for the cost of the shipping alone. One vet to another.

BTW the Hp-to-weight ratio of a 361 is one of the highest of any stock saw ever made. It cleans the clock of an MS 290. That's why you liked the weight and feel of the 361. The 036 Pro is close, but the 361 nips it by a nose.

Congrats, you will like that saw, and it will get stronger for about 5+ tanks of fuel (it will cut fast from the start, but will stall a little too easy on big wood at first). It is a nice all around saw, and will run right with a 562 (the saw everyone seems to rave about). I like big saws, but you made a good choice.

Very good.

BTW, thank you is a compliment. A nice red wine complements a rib eye steak.:)

Ugghhh...Noted. Thanks for the correction. This thread has been sitting out there all this time like that and I never noticed.

Latest posts

Back