Help Selecting A Firewood Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wheeew thanks for all the posts/suggestions all, keep em comin!

I'd spring for a Dolmar PS5105. It's only .7 lbs heavier than the 420, turns an extra 1000 rpm, and will handle a 20" bar if needed. I'm not sure what the price difference is but I think the 5105 would be a more versatile saw while still being small enough to not wear you out lugging it around. JMHO...not to be confused with fact or reliable information:msp_biggrin:

The dealer told me this is the only dolmar saw hes had back in the shop with problems, he thinks it maybe rev's to high, and didn't recommend it.

30-40cc saws are not what you want for bucking lots of firewood.

Move up to 50cc. You can get a 346XP for less than an MS200. 90lb Wife can probably handle it just fine. If not, feed her more cheeseburgers.

man thats a light power head, we'll have to check it out.
vegan...

Whoa Nellie!!!!.....your wife weighs less than 90 lbs.????
And you're gonna have her cutting firewood???

Man...the saws that are being mentioned...including mine...
are waaayyy too big for the little lady to handle...IMHO.

They're prolly ok for a guy...even a smaller guy...like you.

If she's gonna be cutting...I'm thinking ms181 or ms211 max!!
at 9.5 lbs. powerhead only....and that's if she has some experience!!
Just don't want her to get tired or whatever and get hurt!!!!!

What I'm saying is a 10+ lb. saw is more than 10% of her body weight.
I weigh 180+ and would not like using a 20+ lb. saw!!!
:cheers:
J2F
if ya want to get technical, i think she weighs 93lbs (don't tell her i said that) and maybe 5'3, you ever try to find a set of size 00 chaps?!?!? :) shes got a fair amount of xp, she could safely run the old Farmboss, but with noticeable fatigue after bit of bucking.

a bit of background on the stubbornness of my wife:

if i get her her own "girl saw" she will just flood it on purpose and pick up mine, she'll also busted a couple perfectly good bow saw to prove a point. And lord don't tell her she can't do something, last time someone did that she ended up dodging IED's in Iraq for two years (her driving scares me now).

i know i should get bigger saw but honestly this season i had the choice between my buddies stihl magnum with a 20" in bar (grunt) and the lil'homelite. After i got past the novelty of 70'cc, (im used to a Farmboss with a 20") i found myself using the homelite more and more, and finally stopped taking the mag to pack more wood. i got real used to being able to whip it around through long walks in the woods hunting for diseased/dead wood.

The dealer told me this is the only dolmar saw hes had consistently back in the shop with problems, he thinks it maybe rev's to high, and didn't recommend it. .......

Forget the 5105 or MS261, and avoid long (and RSN) bars, if weight is important.

At least go look at and handle a 346xp. You can't go wrong with this one and it's a small, high performance saw. :msp_smile:

Whether it be a one saw plan or a four saw plan, for firewood, 20" and under as you stated, one 59-65 cc saw is all youll ever need. All you have to do is pick your brand, all the major players have that saw size.

If you can swing the cash the older 361 is the one I would consider. Great weight and plenty of power. Run all day long.
Not in the first mix but take a look.
Chad

I beat the piss out of these lil saws cutting hard/ large rounds and rev'em high and long at least 2 days a week, to get the job done in the fall and winter. I really only have to money to buy one saw, and i don't want to do again it for a long time.

To start, I only know Stihl, so that's all I can speak to. The other guys have plenty of info about the other brands. But regarding your original post, you're going to beat the piss out of your saws. For that ONE reason right there, don't even think about a homeowner grade saw. Reason number TWO, you don't want to buy again for a "long time".

026 Pro. End of question.

It sounds like all your requirements would be met with a either a Stihl 261 or a Husky 346xpne. Both are pro saws that would last yo u a life time. I've got both, we cut firewood for a living, I prefer the 261 over the 346. Get one set up with an 18" bar and it'll handle about any situation you've listed. Unlike some others.......(troll comes to mind) I actually own both and run both on a weekly if not daily basis during peak cutting season, I don't pay attention to the paper specs. I go by what they do in the woods, either of these two models is a great choice and you can't make a mistake with either one.

It sounds like all your requirements would be met with a either a Stihl 261 or a Husky 346xpne. Both are pro saws that would last yo u a life time. I've got both, we cut firewood for a living, I prefer the 261 over the 346. Get one set up with an 18" bar and it'll handle about any situation you've listed. Unlike some others.......(troll comes to mind) I actually own both and run both on a weekly if not daily basis during peak cutting season, I don't pay attention to the paper specs. I go by what they do in the woods, either of these two models is a great choice and you can't make a mistake with either one.

I don't want to own a MS261, as it obviously isn't what I want a 50cc saw to be!
What I want is a saw for the woods, not just another nice bucking saw for the yard, or a cookie cutter......:D

OK all, i have an update!

My buddy who runs a tree servicing company dropped off a 53' Bradford pear (wow) for me to cutup for firewood. We got to talking about my tribulations with my old chainsaw, and his eyes lit up like Christmas. He went to the front of his truck and pulled out a Stihl 036 Pro with a 20" bar, saying "this will cut the heck outta some firewood!"

Man that thing just glides through wood like butter, boy was he right. I like it allot, and he offered it to me at the friendly price of $150. Hes kinda anal about maintenance, so i know its been well cared for through its like (he thinks hes had it for about 10 years. I think id be a full to pass it up.

Any of you Stihl guys have any bad things to say about this saw?
anything i should look for before i commit?

The weight is just about right for me, but i miss the maneuverability of a 14" bar, i think i will put a 16" to make it a little more nimble in the brush. anyone see a problem with that?

thanks so much all!

View attachment 187838

BUY IT...little bro!!!!!!

My 036 will be in my possession on the day I die!!!

And if it's been kept up like you described...what a great deal!!!!!

Even just a pretty average 036 goes for $300 (thereabouts) on eBay!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
yeah it seems like id be a fool to pass it up.. i haven't seen to many of them around, so i just wanted to know if it was a dud saw model.

any of you guys run a smaller bar on it?

As for the pear tree, I'm thinking that would make some nice BBQ wood, if it's anything like apple.
ive never burned this exact variety of pear, but typically pear burns alot like apple real hot/quick. the braddford pear has got to be the most awfull smelling tree when blooming, i'm hoping it doesn't smell bad while on fire :>

yeah it seems like id be a fool to pass it up.. i haven't seen to many of them around, so i just wanted to know if it was a dud saw model.

any of you guys run a smaller bar on it?

For $150......that's awesome. Great saw. Buy it immediately. And I like an 18" for that size saw. Nimble, but still long enough to cut some bigger stuff without having to rotate.

Latest posts

Back