Help! ...Stihl 290 oiler not working

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodweasel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
the chain was making its dry sound so I shut 'er down today. Luckily I could finish up with another saw. Checked the oiler slot in the powerhead and the hole in the bar, both clear. The sprocket at the tip is free, and the chain guide groove in the bar is clear, it's just not pumping oil! Can it be fixed? I'm hoping I don't have to take it to the shop, money's tight right now. ...any help is much appreciated. :bang:

Check the oil pump worm gear and also that the tab isnt broken off.

You may be able to buy the pump and the worm gear with spring for less than $30.00 off Ebay. Or over in the swap meet someone may have these parts readily available . Check out the Swap meet thread. The oil pump replacement is one of the easier repairs. Fish has a great thread for the MS290 assembly/disassembly with pictures. Hope that helps.

You may be able to buy the pump and the worm gear with spring for less than $30.00 off Ebay. Or over in the swap meet someone may have these parts readily available . Check out the Swap meet thread. The oil pump replacement is one of the easier repairs. Fish has a great thread for the MS290 assembly/disassembly with pictures. Hope that helps.

Fish? ...I haven't used this site that much. Assembly-disassembly w/ pics sounds great (or video). Where would I catch that? ....And thanks to all for the great advise

Fish? ...I haven't used this site that much. Assembly-disassembly w/ pics sounds great (or video). Where would I catch that? ....And thanks to all for the great advise

Use the search feature to search for your topic. There are tons of threads on the MS290 builds. Replacing the oiler is not a difficult job,
you could even go to the beg for manuals thread and ask for the shop manual and it will have illustrated instructions on what you need
to do. Send me a pm if I need to help more. Have a great weekend.

Back