help to id firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
i know i haven't posted in here in a long time but i was wanting to know what the heck this wood is,, the reason i wanted to know so i can stay away from it in the future,, it doesn't split,, the 22 ton splitter just rips through it as you can see in the pics,, it smells like old rotten crotch,, it cuts like maple and is heavy as sycamore,, for some reason i am thinking it is ash or elm,, i wanted to find out from the experts, thanks

View attachment 278682View attachment 278683View attachment 278684

Not Ash thats for sure. I havn't split any elm for so long can't rember what it looked like. It was a bugger to split. They are very rare around here in the mid atlantic. I gotta go with Elm

Agreed that it's not Ash but I don't think it's Elm either. Bark doesn't look like any Elm I've ever seen and Elm doesn't really smell either. I'm not really sure what to think of it...

Sure looks like elm to me. I've spent plenty an afternoon cursing that stuff while splitting. Burns pretty nice though.

Bark looks sort of cottonwood. Been so long since I worked any that I can't remember the inside.

Bark looks sort of cottonwood. Been so long since I worked any that I can't remember the inside.

I don't think it is cottonwood, the bark looks different than the cottonwood I cut up. The inside looks different too.

That therrrr might just he pecan. I split some for the first time this yr and looked just like it. Its also very stringy like that.

does pecan grow in Kentucky?
Did a little google and it can grow there, never knew that.

Last edited:
looks like some stuff i piked up at the landfill; cut and tried to split a piece, and brought it back to the landfill.
i don't think pecan really stinks though. wish i could find my tree and bark ID book;could help out some more.

I know sweet gum is a pain to split, and some of the pieces kinda split like gum but don't recall any foul smell.

Very true regarding smell but when I see how it splits that's all that comes to mind.

looks like hickory on the inside and thats how it splits if it is green. there are several types with different bark. not pecan or ash. if it is hickory dry 2 years before burning.

My Second Choice

My second choice is "Split Elm" :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I Know its not sweetgum.

The elm I have split looks like that and has a smell to it.

pecan will split real easy so will cottonwood,, this stuff just tears aparts,, there is a lot of elm in this part of the country,, this wood is just like the tree i took down on the back of my property a few years ago,, that tree was 60+ foot high and had a 30+ foot spread,,, i cut it up and donated it a sucker:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back