help to pick a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snow1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a new chainsaw. I have a titan 57 for the last 16-17 years and it has been great, I did no maintance on it lasted, no problems until last year when the fuel lines needed to be replaced. It still works but I am looking for a lighter saw but don't want to go down in power. I am looking at a echo 450($499), 530($579), stihl 270($499), 260, shindaiwa 502($499 no dealer close), Husky 445($429) not sure if I would be getting a orange poulan or not. I am looking for a saw that will not need a lot of repairs as it gets older. The prices are canadian and the echo, husky and stihl all come with a kit. I cut 5-6 cords a year. Thanks for any advice. I am new to site.
No dolmar dealer and 346xp is $750.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Dolmar Ps510. Better built than most you list and be had for around 350.00. Has pro-style construction.

I would get a Husqvarna 346xp and have it woods ported.
Actually, I did and am amazed! Just awesome!
If not the husky I would give the new Stihl 261 a shot.
It's a real powerhouse and an absolute animal ported.

I was trying to stay within a budget and I am not going to spend almost $800 tax in for a 346xp. Any advise on the saws I had listed would be a great help or something else in those brands. Husky 350 is $500 here and a stihl 260 is $560. I am trying to save a few bucks but I don't want a saw that is all trouble. It don't need to be the fastest saw I am not racing I just want something trouble free that is not a dog. Thanks.

Last edited:
I was trying to stay within a budget and I am not going to spend almost $800 tax in for a 346xp. Any advise on the saws I had listed would be a great help or something else in those brands. Husky 350 is $500 here and a stihl 260 is $560. I am trying to save a few bucks but I don't want a saw that is all trouble. It don't need to be the fastest saw I am not racing I just want something trouble free that is not a dog. Thanks.

oh no no no, you missed the part where he also recommended you have it ported as well.. :laugh:, sounds like a quick way to spend $1000 on a 50cc saw :dizzy: if youre in canada

they still sell new husky 350s there? id take the 260 over it in a second with the prices that close

If I lived in Canada, I'd drive to the US, or have a 346xp sent from the US. I just bought one for $475.

If you will not, or can not, then I'd get a MS261.

For rock solid dependable? 260/261.

But what do I know,yesterday I was running a 25 year old 038 magII and about a 15 year old 024super. Both unmolested as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
I would stay with a stihl or husky. Pro versions will be a better saw. What size and kind of wood are you cutting? Which dealer has the best reputation in your area? My advise...go with the brand who has the best dealer in your area and by the best saw you can in your budget based on the kind and size wood you will be cutting. The 260 is a pro saw and also look at the husky 339xp. It is in that same price range you mentioned (here in the states). Huskies can also be bought online from the states if the price is better.

with such a high price difference in huskies from usa to canada, why hasnt someone started bootlegging huskies over to canada by now?!
seems like theres a lot of money to be made there :hmm3grin2orange:

I would stay with a stihl or husky. Pro versions will be a better saw. What size and kind of wood are you cutting? Which dealer has the best reputation in your area? My advise...go with the brand who has the best dealer in your area and by the best saw you can in your budget based on the kind and size wood you will be cutting. The 260 is a pro saw and also look at the husky 339xp. It is in that same price range you mentioned (here in the states). Huskies can also be bought online from the states if the price is better.

Very good point and our money is at par or near, with the us dollar.

339XP?
He'd be dropping from a 57cc saw to a 39cc.
No matter how good a saw, it seems it would be a great dissapointment.

Going from the Titan to a 260 will be enough of a drop.

Closer would be a 361, but above his price range.

Just reread your post.
Non of the saws you mentioned will have the power of your Titan.That was a good saw and still is.

At 12.6 lbs. your not gonna find much lighter with the same power.

Husky 357XP or Stihl 361 for equals.I'm not to familiar with the Efco lineup.

oh no no no, you missed the part where he also recommended you have it ported as well.. :laugh:, sounds like a quick way to spend $1000 on a 50cc saw :dizzy: if youre in canada

they still sell new husky 350s there? id take the 260 over it in a second with the prices that close

I didn't realize he was in Canada.

I am looking for a new chainsaw. I have a titan 57 for the last 16-17 years and it has been great, I did no maintance on it lasted, no problems until last year when the fuel lines needed to be replaced. It still works but I am looking for a lighter saw but don't want to go down in power. I am looking at a echo 450($499), 530($579), stihl 270($499), 260, shindaiwa 502($499 no dealer close), Husky 445($429) not sure if I would be getting a orange poulan or not. I am looking for a saw that will not need a lot of repairs as it gets older. The prices are canadian and the echo, husky and stihl all come with a kit. I cut 5-6 cords a year. Thanks for any advice. I am new to site.
No dolmar dealer and 346xp is $750.

Go with a stihl ms 260 and muffler mod. You'll be set for a long time to come. It will be reliable light and alot of power. I run a 260 pro for climbing. The only difference between the "pro" and non "pro" model is the de-comp and the $$$. If i can run a 260 in the tree, im sure it would be good for fire wood
-ac:greenchainsaw:

Thanks for the info. It was a Husky 450 for $499 +tax not a 350.
Sounds like a ms 260 is a good bet. Is there much power difference from a 260 to a 290. A friend has a 290 and my titan 57 has more power(even he admits this). A 290 goes for $500 but is a little heavy.

A 260 is faster and lighter, but less torque.
I personally don't like the saw,if your in anything over 8"-10" you have to feather it in the cut.You can't dog it in.
Great limbing saw though.

The Husky 445 is made in Sweden, not any sort of "orange Poulan" - but it still is a "homeowner" type saw.

The price picture in Canada is a bit odd, and that makes it a bit difficult for someone that doesn't live there to provide advice. Everything still is cheap compared to here though, so the price of the 346xp doesn't look as scary from here as it does from the US.

On paper, the MS260 looks a lot better in Canada than it does in the US......

How come there are so many husky manufacture referbished saws on ebay? It sounds like they are having a lot of trouble with certain models. 445,55 rancher, 450.

Latest posts

Back