Help with 2 saws. Stihl 041 and Craftsman 3.7

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineNoO9

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Posted these in the You suck thread. Feel like sometimes it's I suck cause I can't get them running! Anyways got a cylinder in for the Stihl today so it was reassembly time. I managed to remember how to put stuff back together too!

F47A3339-A46E-4010-9D69-A542C5D76C16.jpeg

Managed to break a piston ring but I went with only one which I'd seen others do. Little bit later I got it together and was ready to go. Went to start it and after a few pulls viola! It ran for maybe 30 seconds and it sounded pretty awesome until it suddenly stopped.... Odd. Went to pull it and it was jammed. I thought "Oh no" as I figured something happened again as the original cylinder and piston got destroyed. So put it back on the bench, pulled the plug. Was able to spin the crank off of the clutch but it'd always stop. So thought some and decided to pull the oil cap off and sure enough it spun freely! Took some air and blew it through the hole figuring it's probably gummed up. Put things back together hoping I'd start it again and no go. Can't fire it. Hoping it's just flooded at this point as it did run. I'll have to try again tomorrow as I'm tired with it now. The carb on this is new as well as the spark plug.

The craftsman is another story. It need some odds and ends but mostly just fuel and a vent line. Did that and went to fire it. It started pretty easy but started running fast and shut off. So I tried my aftermarket carb that the linkage doesn't line up but figured with a screwdriver I could press the throttle and get it going. Got it to run a little but it eventually puked out. Since then (a week ago) ive been unable to get it going again. Tried everything. I've also taken the time to relearn the original carb and out it on again. Next step is a rebuild kit which I asked about on here the other day. It's an old plug but as far as I can tell it still is sparking. A little hard to tell though. Thoughts?

I honestly loathe small engines but these were freebies and I really need to get one going to start clearing up some brush. Both do have compression.

752527E2-6E44-4253-BBDA-6B58A473AB5C.jpeg

Where in Va are you located? Sounds like you need some assistance instead of advice, rebuild that 3.7 carburetor and try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In King George. Really surprised the Stihl 041 won't start again. I'll take a look at the craftsman carb again. Probably go ahead and order a rebuild kit. Thought it might go with just a clean. Guess not. Probably get a new plug for it but thought it'd go since it did fire the other day. Both are using premixed fuel so I know that shouldn't be messing with me.

I'm gonna check the carb settings on the Stihl and try and give her a few pulls this afternoon. Unfortunately I guess it's possible the carb gummed up on me as it sat for awhile before I got a new cylinder. So may need to double check the carb too. Hoping it goes. I went ahead and got a bar ordered for it as I'm hoping to have it going by the weekend.

The craftsman I'll see. Need to check spark again. I used a multimeter to see if I had voltage (plus I was trying to verify I had the switch flipped the correct way). I did see voltage (very low). Not giving up.

Actually am getting a couple more freebie saws from my church. Some cheap poulans in various states of disrepair. All same model so hoping that between them all I can Frankenstein one together. Otherwise I'll just have a collection of saws that don't run. Lol

Back