Help with 460 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiftedBlackHD

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Father in law brought his 460 over. It had old fuel in it. It started and ran rough and hot. It then died. I put fresh fuel in it. Checked the spark plug and it was moist and oily. Replaced with new plug. Air filter is clean.

When I try to start it moist oily fuel spits out the decomp valve. Along with a puff of smoke out the muffler.

It has carb limiters on it.

What should I try next?

Thank you

What you have is old gas in the system. Prime the new gas through it. Full Choke it and try to start it and as soon as it pops turn the choke off, hold the throttle wide open and pull it again and she should fire up. Work the throttle to keep her going. If she runs, put it in some wood wide open and run it like you stole it. If it continues to have problems, your gonna have to break the carb down and clean it real good. The cylinder and muffler will clean out as she runs.
I have started some pretty old fueled saws this way plenty of times.

Wet plug...no pop....

Make sure it isn't flooded. Remove the plug. Crank the saw upside down ....slowly...and see if fuel pours out the hole. Once you get the extra fuel out...then see if it'll pop.

No pop.... compression ..spark fuel. If fuel isn't the issue... it's likely compression or spark. Pull the muffler. Check the piston for scoring. I'll bet either you have a scored top end or are flooded

one turn out on L and H ... or so... and I crank the idle in a bit just to get it to start.

every properly running 455 rancher I have had... a dozen or so... pops on choke in 3 pulls. and starts in 3 more. they are very predictable.

Just a thought... if your piston has alot of visible carbon around the top on the exhaust side it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the ring. I've seen the rings in the 455-460 ranchers stick in their groove and kill the compression. Like I said though. Just something I check whenever I get one of these in the shop with ghost problems.

If its getting a puff of smoke it has spark and trying to start. Pull the plug as Mattyo said and see if its flooded, which it probably is because of stale gas. Drain it as directed, dry the plug and attempt to start as I said again. Let us know.

Pulled the plug and slow cranked. No fuel dripped out but smelled strong. Pulled the muffler and she popped in 2 pulls. She's running good now. Piston looks good too.

Thanks guys!!!!!:blob2::blob2:

POOF

:) nice .... these things do get flooded. dunno how sometimes, but they do and it'll drive ya nutso
We know how in this case, the gas was stale. Go cut some wood with it now and if you think its gonna sit on the shelf for an extended period of time, go buy a can of the husky premixed gas and run it through the engine and top off the tank with it. It will stay a lot longer. Glad to hear its running.

Latest posts

Back