Help with a decision of how much to take off this Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtc16

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Customer is concerned with this limb going over her garage. I am going to take off a few small branches but told her I'd look into if its a good idea to take the whole thing or not. Hoping to get some input if that is too big a limb to trim or not. It's the big one on the far right

Attachments

• IMG_20161117_171659843.jpg
    IMG_20161117_171659843.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20161117_171652261.jpg
    IMG_20161117_171652261.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
I'd be leery of cutting off a branch that large. It alone could be considered 25% of the available cutting area on the tree. I'd like to see how much is over the house.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Yea I was leaning toward no, it's not that far over the garage. She shouldn't have a problem with not taking it. What's light end weight reduction and cable?

I'm not familiar with installing cables, I'll read up on it. Thanks

Yea I was leaning toward no, it's not that far over the garage. She shouldn't have a problem with not taking it. What's light end weight reduction and cable?
Post an after pic of your weight reduction. Kinda sounds like proper pruning may not be your strong point...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Will do, its next sunday. Well I don't spur and I don't cut anything I don't think will heal. Pruning is not my specialty but I wouldn't say I don't do it properly just because I don't install cables.

Make a 1-1.5" cut per lateral branch. If there are any stacked branches, on top of each other real close, take one. Keep in mind that you want to focus on tip weight, the longer the arm the greater the force, so taking from the tip of that limb will reduce force more than what you take off the lateral branches. Not sure if this will make sense, but trying to be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up dynamic cables, they are an easy alternative to steel and drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's all we use at my company. They are non-invasive so you don't have to worry about causing decay. They do require maintenance to expand the loops around the stems as they grow in diameter.

Back