Help with Birch Trees Save or Replace.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjcezar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 2 large birch trees (one on each side of building) that seem to be infected with something. As you can see in pics attached very early leaf drop on tree pictured and brown spots and discoloration on the remaining leaves. Any idea what these have? Also contemplating total removal and replanting as trees are becoming very large a nusaince. Topping maybe? Looking for some input and some help diagnosing (anthracnose maybe?)

It looks more like a leaf spot disease. Treatment at this time in PA. would seem pointless. Most leaf spots infect around mid-May (Mich.) I would suggest NOT topping any tree, they will respond by suckering, creating weak (included) branch attachments, more problems are created than solved, plus it's butt ugly. Fungicide applications could be done next year however, leaf spot fungi are weather related, warm springs w/high humidity. If those conditions don't exsist infection is not likely. These diseases are rarely life threatening.

Thank you for the response! The owner of the building wants the trees either topped or replaced. They are uncomfortable with how big they are. If the trees had some aweful disease it would make the decision to replace easier. Not sure how I want to approach them on this.

I am not a fan of removing healthy trees, however due to location and the fact that birches are not long-lived in an urban setting, if they are becoming weak (?) an indication of their "state" may be becoming infected w/a leaf spot disease that's not real common to birches, then I would recommend removal and replacement w/something more suited to that restricted root zone. It would be better to remove them now than wait for mother nature to "remove" them for you. They look pretty close to the building...

That is very common for the few Birch's around here. My folks have had good luck in keeping theirs healthy from that and the borer's by watering the heck out of them, especially when it gets HOT in the summer. The owner may also be sick and tired of cleaning the Birch bits out of the gutters, I know it is a constant battle at my folks' house. Watering seems to stem some of the dirtiness of the trees, or at least keeps the dirty time more condensed instead of always dropping twigs and such.

I know, not answering your question and anecdotal info but it may help explain what the HO is thinking.

Thank you for the response! The owner of the building wants the trees either topped or replaced. They are uncomfortable with how big they are. If the trees had some aweful disease it would make the decision to replace easier. Not sure how I want to approach them on this.
Sell reduction; call it scientific topping if you have to to communicate. those leaders can come back 6-10 feet cut to good laterals. Good to do on most exposed riverbirch, esp. Heritage cultivar. If you have good pole tools this is easy peasy.

This is a sustainable approach; will need repruning every couple years. Everybody wins if done right.

Latest posts

Back