Help with cutting and felling techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
personally lower face cut is easier to gun and more control over saw rather than backcut level with your throat. gunning a convenrional or humboldt simpler than open face, but i think GOL teaches open face/boring. to each there own.
watch out for that crotch shot on push back. thumbs too. always the thumbs.

what does sloping 4 down to 2" buy ?
nothing good, imo.

With trees that might chair I prefer to be cutting standing up and ready to move. I like to make my back cuts perpendicular to the tree fibers, which in a heavy leaner will be slightly "sloped" relative to horizontal. I do regret replying to this thread, as I may have been drunk, and once again, I am just an old man who grew up with saws, not a pro-faller. This is just what I do. +1 on Douglas Dent's book

With trees that might chair I prefer to be cutting standing up and ready to move. I like to make my back cuts perpendicular to the tree fibers, which in a heavy leaner will be slightly "sloped" relative to horizontal. I do regret replying to this thread, as I may have been drunk, and once again, I am just an old man who grew up with saws, not a pro-faller. This is just what I do. +1 on Douglas Dent's book

If i fallow you right, your slight angle on the back cut will be more than perceived since the tree in ? is a leaner. Therefor the cutting speed or perf. of the chain would be less as you not only increasing the distance you have to cut and now the chain is also ripping fibers witch is slower. I have not learned how to post a drawing on this or any computer let alone a photo ,but try this ; if you are able to fallow my explaining. make a good safe face cut, conventional or Humboldt, which ever you are most comfortable with. now pie off your back cut or triangulate it rather to a center point at the back of tree. now you are ready to start the back cut. by starting at what is now the peak of the triangle of hold wood you have created you do not have the entire diam. of stump to cut through. this is a very good method and if it leans very heavy, bore the guts out through the face cut. and don't be afraid to put your back cut up an inch or two from the face cut(you aren't match cutting for production) you are trying to get a tree on the ground safely.Someone said earlier to try stuff on trees that were dedicated to a lean but safe before actually doing a danger tree(good advice) GOOD LUCK!!! and read this twice or thrice as I have been into some corn squeezins'. Don't have regrets and you ain't no old man,WE are just in the middle:jester:and yes< its a good book. Men like him are endangered. it would be the best $15.00 alot of folks could spend.A new bar of any size is not cheap,or a forbidden dr. bill. piece out and good night

what is this slopping back cut talk. do we have to go down this road again.;)

Its totally my fault. I was talking about what I did with heavy leaners before I read DD's book. After putting a big face in I make the back cut perpendicular to the stem. Seems like it is a more direct route thru the holding wood. Of course in SE Texas heavy leaners are mostly live oaks, which don't seem too chair'y.

I really like full synthetic oil at 40:1, I think the reason early 385xp's had bearing failures is the 50:1 mix recommendation.

I think full skip chain is the best, especially on 28" and longer bars

How about those crazy PNW logging terms, who knew lumberjack was derogatory?
:biggrin:

wedge

Hi, new to the forum here.
I was wondering if there are any resources for different cutting techniques to get the trees where you want them. any veterans that want to share wisdom as well.

I am a timber faller but have not been doing it that long and my knowledge of cuts is limited. I am sick of pushing and wedging if you know what I mean.

Any help would be great.
thanks Brian.

I have a rattle wedge that winds in that may help you but there not cheap from america will let you know how I get on with it not had chance to use it yet but it looks a good piece of kit regards alan

I have a rattle wedge that winds in that may help you but there not cheap from america will let you know how I get on with it not had chance to use it yet but it looks a good piece of kit regards alan
Ps stay safe is the most important thing you will always need the humble wedge

If i fallow you right, your slight angle on the back cut will be more than perceived since the tree in ? is a leaner. Therefor the cutting speed or perf. of the chain would be less as you not only increasing the distance you have to cut and now the chain is also ripping fibers witch is slower. I have not learned how to post a drawing on this or any computer let alone a photo ,but try this ; if you are able to fallow my explaining. make a good safe face cut, conventional or Humboldt, which ever you are most comfortable with. now pie off your back cut or triangulate it rather to a center point at the back of tree. now you are ready to start the back cut. by starting at what is now the peak of the triangle of hold wood you have created you do not have the entire diam. of stump to cut through. this is a very good method and if it leans very heavy, bore the guts out through the face cut. and don't be afraid to put your back cut up an inch or two from the face cut(you aren't match cutting for production) you are trying to get a tree on the ground safely.Someone said earlier to try stuff on trees that were dedicated to a lean but safe before actually doing a danger tree(good advice) GOOD LUCK!!! and read this twice or thrice as I have been into some corn squeezins'. Don't have regrets and you ain't no old man,WE are just in the middle:jester:and yes< its a good book. Men like him are endangered. it would be the best $15.00 alot of folks could spend.A new bar of any size is not cheap,or a forbidden dr. bill. piece out and good night

Basically you described a variation of the coos bay (I know only 3 variations but prolly will be more)

Heavy leaners are very dangerous sticks and yes there are techniques for falling them.....but there ain't a one fits all.

I may have mis read or the like or am just plain stupid (opinions do vary on that lol) but if ya suggesting using a triangle coos bay and boring the face ........imo you'll end up catching the stick.....if ya mean using a coos bay minus a face and boring the front then same outcome imo. I have heard of plunging a non faced coos bay (never done it and don't have the b*lls to try it)

IMO and would think most fallers would agree heavy leaners are nasty beasts and can make a good day go south real quick.

Stick to basic cuts with leaners ........better still get some one who does know how to fall them safely or can be there and talk ya thru it.......words are easy ......practice is way different.

Oh and don't do sloping cuts period you more than likely borrowing trouble

sorry if this post offends

The only time the words sloping and cuts comes to my mind is while Im pushing dirt with my dozer o_O. Cutting in slopes for drainage..:D Sloping back cuts though... No bueno .......

Basically you described a variation of the coos bay (I know only 3 variations but prolly will be more)

Heavy leaners are very dangerous sticks and yes there are techniques for falling them.....but there ain't a one fits all.

I may have mis read or the like or am just plain stupid (opinions do vary on that lol) but if ya suggesting using a triangle coos bay and boring the face ........imo you'll end up catching the stick.....if ya mean using a coos bay minus a face and boring the front then same outcome imo. I have heard of plunging a non faced coos bay (never done it and don't have the b*lls to try it)

IMO and would think most fallers would agree heavy leaners are nasty beasts and can make a good day go south real quick.

Stick to basic cuts with leaners ........better still get some one who does know how to fall them safely or can be there and talk ya thru it.......words are easy ......practice is way different.

Oh and don't do sloping cuts period you more than likely borrowing trouble

sorry if this post offends
My phonix sukcs!NEXT:popcorn:

View attachment 297864 This is what i was trying to explain the other night. After making the face cut i will reach in and bore the guts out if i am worried about it barber chairing. Then i will strap the sides. This has worked for me on most leaner situations for many years on almost all western wood. It is not the cure all, but is the most reliable IMO.:msp_tongue: Thanks to my son for teaching a cave man how to put a picture on a post.

Last edited:
View attachment 297864 This is what i was trying to explain the other night. After making the face cut i will reach in and bore the guts out if i am worried about it barber chairing. Then i will strap the sides. This has worked for me on most leaner situations for many years on almost all western wood. It is not the cure all, but is the most reliable IMO.:msp_tongue:

Ok .......no worries.......but the pic I seem to remember from somewhere. But don't see any bore cut

Oh and Mr Dent to whom you referred (who is a legend) passed last year as most will know. I met him once with my Gramps. Air was blue that day lol.

Ok .......no worries.......but the pic I seem to remember from somewhere. But don't see any bore cut

Oh and Mr Dent to whom you referred (who is a legend) passed last year as most will know. I met him once with my Gramps. Air was blue that day lol.

Yes he is a legend. Didn't know he was dead. I learned this cut about 25 yrs. ago and was shown the gut-boring trick by another great faller who kept me alive my first yrs. in the brush. I don't bore often, but it does work. Try it, if you like. I didn't get the "air" thing lol:cheers:

Yes he is a legend. Didn't know he was dead. I learned this cut about 25 yrs. ago and was shown the gut-boring trick by another great faller who kept me alive my first yrs. in the brush. I don't bore often, but it does work. Try it, if you like. I didn't get the "air" thing lol:cheers:

I'm not arguing with ya bro ..........just don't get the boring a coos bay that all

Oh air thing meant .....colorful language lol.....and I mean colorful lol

Latest posts

Back