Help with cutting and felling techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we at crossed terms here a bit (my fault) are you poss meaning gutting the hinge? I could see that maybe in the triangle but not the other

I think we at crossed terms here a bit (my fault) are you poss meaning gutting the hinge? I could see that maybe in the triangle but not the other

In the diagrams I posted you don't usually bore. There's really no need for it if you match your cuts just right and have a fast saw when you're backing it up.

My extensive falling experience has taught me the coos bay is used for avoiding chairing a leaner without all that pesky boring:jester::kilt:

The jester is 'cause I don't know #### about ####, and the kilt was for Graeme!

My extensive falling experience has taught me the coos bay is used for avoiding chairing a leaner without all that pesky boring:jester::kilt:

you get back to the other thread lol

White oak from this morning. Thanks to the Coos bay cuts I never bore anymore.
attachment.php

Coos bay back cut. Wide open face keeps the pull at a min. I would guess it took me a minute and a half to put it on the ground.

attachment.php

A little pull but not too bad considering I think. About the only tree that will split easier is hickory.

attachment.php

She made 3 10s and a 12. It was inside the bar tip on the stump.

attachment.php

View attachment 297878
View attachment 297879
View attachment 297880
View attachment 297881

The reason I gutted the heart out from the face was to minimize pull. I've done it without, but especially with a white oak leaning this hard it makes the back cut a lot easier and saves the wood.

Somehow I missed nearly the whole third page of discussion on this thread.... until now.

Last edited:
White oak from this morning. Thanks to the Coos bay cuts I never bore anymore.
attachment.php

Coos bay back cut. Wide open face keeps the pull at a min. I would guess it took me a minute and a half to put it on the ground.

attachment.php

A little pull but not too bad considering I think. About the only tree that will split easier is hickory.

attachment.php

She made 3 10s and a 12. It was inside the bar tip on the stump.

attachment.php

View attachment 297878
View attachment 297879
View attachment 297880
View attachment 297881

bitzer-Thanks,those are some nice shots . And you proved to 'bustedup' that boring the guts out works when appropriate!:blob2:Hope we get to cut together some day. Maybe i could come out for a working vacation this fall after i arrow an elk. not to get off topic but who modded your saw?

Do you saw in a kilt,too?lol

The reason I gutted the heart out from the face was to minimize pull. I've done it without, but especially with a white oak leaning this hard it makes the back cut a lot easier and saves the wood.

Somehow I missed nearly the whole third page of discussion on this thread.... until now.

you saved that one out pretty good bitz, hard ta see but it don't look like ya made much of a back cut before she poped. not much sap wood in that tree, if it opens up good i'd say that was well worth the minute and a half.

Thought bout what you guys said and I guess it like leaving a back strap after ya bore ......It cool

I don't care what you say Bitz, you are really ####ing good with a saw!:cheers:

Just to clear up any confusion this is how I did it.

1. Gunned it (had to ream a little to get where I wanted it, started sittin down right away)
2. Humboldt
3. Conventional (Saginaw)
4. Gutted it from the face
5. Bottom of the bar from outside- in standing behind the stem.
6. Backbar from outside- in standing behind till she popped.

I like to end with the backbar, just cuts faster.

attachment.php

View attachment 297988

Dooby- I do my own saw work. Let me know if you sling one! Fall is a good time to be out here.

Husky- I'd save I'm about average. Thanks for the compliment though!

Dooby- I do my own saw work. Let me know if you sling one! Fall is a good time to be out here.

Husky- I'd save I'm about average. Thanks for the compliment though!

I understand everything about your explanation except for having a Humboldt on the left side of the face and a conventional on the right with the same gunning cut.

Saw an interview with chet atkins once. Asked where he thought he ranked with other guitarists. "Above below average"

Y'all set the curve pretty high!

Just to clear up any confusion this is how I did it.

1. Gunned it (had to ream a little to get where I wanted it, started sittin down right away)
2. Humboldt
3. Conventional (Saginaw)
4. Gutted it from the face
5. Bottom of the bar from outside- in standing behind the stem.
6. Backbar from outside- in standing behind till she popped.

I like to end with the backbar, just cuts faster.

attachment.php

View attachment 297988

bitz, I gotta admit that's pretty slick. wouldn't occur ta me ta leave that strap, woulda thought that a mistake. but it worked beautifully. I am impressed sir and that don't happen much. you might make me try leavin a hinge, maybe. hard ta teach a ol dog new tricks, but seeing is believing.

I understand everything about your explanation except for having a Humboldt on the left side of the face and a conventional on the right with the same gunning cut.

Saw an interview with chet atkins once. Asked where he thought he ranked with other guitarists. "Above below average"

Y'all set the curve pretty high!
HuskStihl- I may be mistaken, but i think because as hard as it was leaning he did both cuts making it a "birds-mouth". If bitzer did do that it was to further eliminate the chance of the face closing up which could cause a barber-chair. And yes I am gonna let him stroke a saw for me. He is better than an avg. pro saw for sure. We could call him the "HumboltMunk"lol-cause he's humble.:rock::cheers: What about the kilt? lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back