Help with Echo needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leecopland

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need a little help. A CS-4400 that I picked up needs new rings, got them from the Greek. In stripping down the saw I'm stuck at getting the engine out of the chassis. The drive side seems to be stuck in the oiler or the oiler is stuck on the drive shaft. I can't remove the engine without freeing the drive shaft. Therefore can't clean up the cylinder and replace the rings.

Need help guys, any suggestions welcome

You need to take the oiler off, 2 screws. There is a washer on the outside of the oiler that can be a bear to get off as it fits tight on the crankshaft.. The newer models have some clearance on that washer. Also you don't need to remove the flywheel but it has to be in the right position the get the motor out of the case. Steve

You need to take the oiler off, 2 screws. There is a washer on the outside of the oiler that can be a bear to get off as it fits tight on the crankshaft.. The newer models have some clearance on that washer. Also you don't need to remove the flywheel but it has to be in the right position the get the motor out of the case. Steve

Thanks Steve, good to know about the washer. Maybe a little heat will help.

Any hints as to how you got the washer off? I've had some odd responses on this and another site. I appreciate your help and I know you are happy running Echos as I am.

Take the 2 screws out and put the clutch back on ,take the 4 engine mounting bolts out, support the body of the saw so the engine is free to move down a little and then tap on the clutch . You only need to get that washer to move enough to get a screwdriver under it. Steve

Boy that washer is on there! I've waled it pretty hard with a soft hammer and it hasn't budged. I heated it too. I guess I'll try a bigger hammer.
Am I right in thinking that the saw is on it's side, while tapping?

Yes saw on the side, make sure the engine has room to move down, not sitting on the flywheel. Also I've taken a round file and filed out that washer a little. No reason for that tight of a fit. The newer saws don't fit that tight. Steve

Proper way to remove oil pump/washer is to use the three threaded holes in the oil pump. That's what they are for. Use screws slightly larger then the mounting screws. Tighten them down evenly to bring the pump and washer up.

Latest posts

Back