Help with MS 361 chain choice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzhusker

Reaction score
Okay my 1st post here, but I've spent around 4 or 5 weeks going through this forum before deciding which saw to purchase.

I own 40 acres with 20 of those acres being heavily wooded. I bought a Stihl MS 361 with 20" bar but it came with the RM2 chain.
What chain would you recommend that I get besides that one?

My cutting needs would be as follows: 85% cottonwood, 10% mulberry and 5% just random whatever else happens to be around. Most of the cottonwood trees are fairly large with some having over a 10 foot diameter base. The saw will be used often as I have LOTS of tree's that have fallen in the last year due to storms and high winds.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks.

BTW, I think this is a great forum with a wealth of info! :greenchainsaw:

Another choice in chain you have is the Stihl 33RMC3. It seems to work well around here. The other option is the Stihl 33RSC. It is more aggressive than the 33RM2 and 33RMC3. Welcome to AS.

RS/RSC for clean wood, RM/RMC for dirty wood.....:rockn:

The jury is still out on the RSC3.

Avoid the RM2.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
RS/RSC for clean wood, RM/RMC for dirty wood.....:rockn:

The jury is still out on the RSC3.

Avoid the RM2.

And you have your answer. No further inquiry required.

And if you elect to run non-Stihl chains, just find the competing product that most closely resembles the above mentioned chains and you'll be good to go.

Thanks for the replies and advice! :clap:

I'll go to my dealer and probably try one of each the RSC and RMC and see which one works best for the tree's in my area.

Thanks.

One last thing.........get a 660 with a 60" bar for those damn cottonwoods if they really are that big. TEN feet!!! Post some pics.

computeruser said:
... And if you elect to run non-Stihl chains, just find the competing product that most closely resembles the above mentioned chains and you'll be good to go.
The Oregon 70-series LP is also very good and proven design, and the RMC3 resembles it suspicious closely, but hasn't proven itself yet as far as I know.....

BostonBull said:
One last thing.........get a 660 with a 60" bar for those damn cottonwoods if they really are that big. TEN feet!!! Post some pics.

Doh! :dizzy: Sorry I meant circumference not diameter.

To see the kind of cottonwoods I'm talking about take look at this cottonwood in Seward county Nebraska, home to the largest cottonwood. Mine aren't this big but I have 4 or 5 that are not too far off from it. It has a 36' 9" circumference.
http://www.nfs.unl.edu/NCTrees/NCCTWD.JPG
http://www.nfs.unl.edu/CTProgram.htm

Latest posts

Back