Help with numbers off STIHL bar.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPX433Todd

Small Engine Addict
Reaction score
Bar is labeled STIHL 3.83
3003 001 6630

I understand the 3003 number here. Bar is sprocket nose with
replaceable tip. Came on a 056 Super I acquired a couple days back. Is this a 24 or 25 inch bar. Chain is 3/8 with 84 drivers. Needs a chain real bad. Bar is in good shape. Straight and not worn funny.
Thanks.
Todd

I checked the groove in the bar and it averages .060 and the drivers on the chain average .050

Most stihl bars have a 'details' panel towards the bar mount that will answer everything. Look carefully if the paint is worn off and do it outside so you can tilt the bar under the sun to read. lf the bar has been heavily used the groove may have worn wider than spec ie it could be a 050/058 bar worn to 0.60". If you also look at a newish stihl bar you will see that panel and be familiar with what to look for.

You sure you counted correct? Unless I'm thinking wrong, ~114 drivers is a loop for a 36" bar.

I can check tomorrow at the shop in the Oregon chain book.

You sure you counted correct? Unless I'm thinking wrong, ~114 drivers is a loop for a 36" bar.

I can check tomorrow at the shop in the Oregon chain book.
Yeah ya got me. Not sure where I came up with that number. Counted to fifty and started over to 34. Added 80+34 when I got done...

Most stihl bars have a 'details' panel towards the bar mount that will answer everything. Look carefully if the paint is worn off and do it outside so you can tilt the bar under the sun to read. lf the bar has been heavily used the groove may have worn wider than spec ie it could be a 050/058 bar worn to 0.60". If you also look at a newish stihl bar you will see that panel and be familiar with what to look for.
I don't believe the older stuff had that info on them. Also I don't think STIHL used much/if any .058 bars and chains.

Did you ever find a part the # for tip for this bar? I'm looking for one now and the dealer isn't much help. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yeah I tried a the 3003 650 2551 and it looks like it might work if I grind 3/32 off of each side. I'd rather just buy the right tip if it's out there somewhere. I also like the look of this old bar and don't want to scrap it if I don't have to.

I don't believe the older stuff had that info on them. Also I don't think STIHL used much/if any .058 bars and chains.

They make all the more popular .325 and 3/8" chain models in .058 - but the only .058 Stihl bars I know of are short .325 ones (for the Euro market) with the 3003 and 3005 mounts.

I checked the groove in the bar and it averages .060 and the drivers on the chain average .050

If the slot is much wider at the top than lower down, it may be time to scrap that bar. A bar rail closer can extend its "life" a bit, but it isn't a lasting solution on a work saw.

You could of course try a .058 chain on it, if there are room for the .058 drive tangs all the way down. Chances are that the slot is more "V" than "U" shaped though....

NO - there are 10, 11 and 13t ones in 3/8", and of course they don't fit the same bars.
So the bar tips vary in height depending on the sprocket teeth? My bar is in great shape I just need a tip. I can't imagine it's worn that much by the way it looks.

Back