Help with plastic jug....Leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score

Have a small crack in the gas jug. Anyone have a surefire fix? Was thinking "SEALALL", but wondered if the constant vibration would split it again in time.
Thanks

Have a small crack in the gas jug. Anyone have a surefire fix? Was thinking "SEALALL", but wondered if the constant vibration would split it again in time.
Thanks

Give JB Weld a try, I'm pretty sure it's resistant to fuels. I know you have to mix it and it gets strong as concrete. Maybe some Epoxy?

I think there are some posts here addressing a similar problem. The seal all might work, but there are some epoxies that are fuel resistant that might work better... What do you have to lose it fails later? I would try to save it...

PB, Crane

Just my $0.02 cents worth

But I would not screw with it,,,,, and maybe like you, would rather fix everything.

If I may explain?

If you fix it, cool. But what if the glue makes a hard spot that makes a bigger crack at it's edge?

Or is dose not hold, I hate fuel stinking up the place and it's just asking to cause more problems down the road.

This is from an old-skool guy that used a gallon glass vinegar jug for my first fuel can.

What is a new fuel-jugs going for?

Last edited:
i have use a product called marine-tex, got it at a boating store, and its a type of epoxie, i had a big crack in the hull of my boat, the guy said it would fix it. held up for 2 years then sold the boat, skipping big waves in the bay and it held, patches my gastank on my riding mower and it held for a year before i sold it. i still got some left and i would trust it to hold fo me, best thing since peanut butter and jelly sammichs.

I had the same problem 2 months ago, i first tried " Devon" but that just softened and leaked, next i tried 'Quicksteel plastic tank repair kit"
That stayed nice and hard but peeled off after 2 days.
What did work for me was "Super Glue", i filled the crack with it, left it to dry
overnight. That was 2 months ago so far its still holding.

I would not bother repairing a gas can but these new style ones suck IMO.So I guess I will be repairing too when and if the need arises.

I would not bother repairing a gas can but these new style ones suck IMO.So I guess I will be repairing too when and if the need arises.

Me neither - but I suspect the tread is about the gas tank on a saw - if not it is a waste.....:confused:

How about beeing a true Redneck, and use duct-tape? :jawdrop:

Last edited:
The best option is to replace the fuel tank, but i would have more luck
finding "life on mars" than finding a fuel tank to suit a 30 year old "Solo 655".

If it's just a crack and not a hole, how about a soldering iron. Just carefully melt the plastic back together. I think there's a thread here to that effect but some kind of filler was used too. Try a search and see what you dig up.

Ian

As p;osted to in another thread dealing with cracked plastic, there is no epoxie made that will hold on the materials that plastic fuel tanks are made of. Not even silicone will hold. The plastic materials does not have sufficient tooth and the stuff actually oxidizes too fast to have such stuff applied and expected to stick. The only real repair ofr any of the HDPP and HDPE PP and PE thype plastics is to use a hot air welder and use a piece of similar mateiral for a filler rod. Its also important to drill a "stop" hole at each end of the crack so any stresses are releived and this will prevent a crack from proppagating any further even if it is welded with hot air process. Without drilling a stop hole at each end of the crack a crack can start nad go right thoguh a weld that was made. For plastics top adhere and do the trick when patcxhed with a substance like epoxie its necessary for the parent paterial to be able to be dissolved or softened so the materials can "meld" together, and this is not possible with these plastics. Look at any major epoxie manufact site and you wil not find any that make claims to be suitable for such use.

Use acetone to clean inside and outside of the area, and pull on cracked areas and allow acetone to flow and weep through cracks, drill stop crack hole, and weld away with hot air welder available at harbor freight and Tool for under $30 most times. Its the only way that will work and can be called a permanent repair, equal to the original item in regards to integrity.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. Yes it's for a saw(SAW TROLL), but it's for a power mac 320----Don't hurt me!! HAHA. I'll give a few of your ideas some thought as I don't plan on using this saw ALL the time.

:cheers:

Weld it......

Use a cheap higher wattage soldering iron and shave off some thin strips from a straight edge to help fill the gap.

Scrape the crack clean and it will plastic weld quite well.....

This is the white poly type not the gray brittle type correct?

I checked the homepage of a large glue company here and they said epoxy is for a large variety of plastic. (No styroform)

I would use epoxy with fiberglass cloth (as in car or boat repairs). The thickness increase would be marginal and you could cover a larger area to relieve any stress to the product as a whole.

7sleeper

I forot don't forget to sand the surface very lightly so the glue has something to hold on to!

Last edited:
I gotta agree with brad on this one. I've got more used beat up saws in that had JB weld on them and they held fine. Never tried it myself, but I have had 4 or 5 saws like that. Worth a shot if nothing else works

Headed down to local mechanic. He had a tube of Permatex stuff that he uses to seal diffs and gas tanks. He has had great sucess with it as it's resistant to fuel and petroleum products. sets hard like JB Weld but will flex under vibrations. Would have bought some myself, but a 1/2 tube is $25 dealer cost! The "crack" was a tiny split along the cases factory seam. Didn't so much as leak, but weep. Tank is dryingt now and I'll let you know if it's a sucess.
Thanks for all the ideas!

The easy way!!!!!!

Don't fool with gluing, welding etc. Get a can of RED-KOTE and coat the inside of the tank in accordance with the directions. It forms a bladder inside the tank and will never leak again.
Mike

Back