Help with process...please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cant-w8-2cut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I am a newb . I just bought a saw and have chaps, helmet And want to be safe!!! My question is >>>> How do I cut "BUCK"a log at its resting spot on the ground without dulling my chain... Are there tricks to this??? rolling ?keeping log off the ground? avoid pinching my bar etc... logs of all different sizes and lengths>From a felled tree to rounds .... thanks so much .. This sight is so inspiring!

Last edited:
First suggestion I would make is read the manual and safety manual that came with the saw. Many basic questions are answered there.

The normal way to do it is after its on the ground, choose what size you want to buck it into, and then cut 80-90% of the way through on each piece, then roll the log over 180 degrees and cut the rest from the top. That way you have to be TRYING to get your chain in the dirt if it does.

I prefer to cut 80-90% of the way through, the roll it over 180 degrees and then stick my bar back in the cut and then kind of "bore" through the rest of it. It's not really boring because your bar nose should be sticking out the other end, but it's that kind of idea

Make sense? Hope it helps

The normal way to do it is after its on the ground, choose what size you want to buck it into, and then cut 80-90% of the way through on each piece, then roll the log over 180 degrees and cut the rest from the top. That way you have to be TRYING to get your chain in the dirt if it does.

I prefer to cut 80-90% of the way through, the roll it over 180 degrees and then stick my bar back in the cut and then kind of "bore" through the rest of it. It's not really boring because your bar nose should be sticking out the other end, but it's that kind of idea

Make sense? Hope it helps

If you cut long enough it can become REALLY boring.:greenchainsaw: Not sure that was even worth typing.:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Hi I am a newb . I just bought a saw and have chaps, helmet And want to be safe!!! My question is >>>> How do I cut "BUCK"a log at its resting spot on the ground without dulling my chain... Are there tricks to this??? rolling ?keeping log off the ground? avoid pinching my bar etc... logs of all different sizes and lengths>From a felled tree to rounds .... thanks so much .. This sight is so inspiring!

Welcome to the site. Your questions relate to basic operation and are covered in both your saw manual plus books, etc. The best way would be to work with someone who is experienced for a few days first. As for safe, cutting solo is not a good practice anyhow.

the basic technique is to start at the top of the tree and limb/block as you go down it. Very rarely will you not come to a place with the log is clear of the cround and can be cut clear through. Use wedges to keep your saw from binding and as other said, cut most of the way through then roll the section of log.

Harry K

I would suggest you start another thread that asks for help from someone in your area. I am sure that there is someone on this site that is close to your area. I would highly reccomend that you find someone to watch before going it on your own. Cutting wood can be a fun and rewarding endeavor along with being dangerous.

Sometimes, you can make a couple of wood wedges to drive under a log to keep it from sagging and pinching the saw.

Depends on whether the log is high centered, or if the ends are on the high ground.

I usually cut only 60% of the way through from the top, if the log is light enough to roll.

The whole project seems to change when the logs are too heavy to roll and not laying on flat ground.

You can buck up firewood in any fashion that you want, but basic technique for limbing is from the butt to the top.

Any particular reason for doing it that way? It is a bit easier to get at the limb base but I can't think of any other reason.

I prefer top down and block as you go because you are removing tension a bit at a time and leaving clear space behind you. You can even block the log as you go while standing clear incase the log decides to shift as there is no log extending past your position.

Harry K

When limbing from top to bottom you are working with the "grain" of most trees limb patterns, a lot less wallowing about, trying to get at the tree, plus the limbs will be falling away from you instead of on top of you.

I would suggest limbing it that way, dragging the brush out of the way and then it is much easier and safer to block the tree down into firewood from top to bottom.

Thanks!!!!

Thanks guys.... My manual dosn't say much ....
I don't plan on taking any trees down quite yet..
I think I can find logs around town that people want to get away from their home or wherever ... I want to be able to buck a log so that I can load up the rounds to bring home for splitting...
I think I need a log turner????? any suggestions .. I am dreaming of bucking a log.,.. can't wait.!!! My last name translates to lumber jack ,wood cutter..... I recently split about a cord of apple wood that I bought and it felt so natural ..... Like it was in my blood!!!!! Thanks again

You need to invest in a peavey to roll your logs. That way you can cut 3/4 of the way through and roll them to finish them. Save's on chains.

do this

lay the log across two or three other logs laying across ways.... yo know like intersecting or a T.. that keeps the log off the ground.. and makes things easy..

Latest posts

Back