help with stihl 020 AVP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeymt33

I bleed YELLOW!
Reaction score
here is what i got. a nice stihl 020AVP with electronic ignition. it has 165psi compression and the spark is great. i checked the flywheel to make sure that the key hadn't spun and got out of time. despite checking those things, i can't get it to pop even once. i bought the saw non running and and it had a week spark, and would start and sputter for only a couple seconds then die. so after inspecting it, i found the kill switch wire was skinned and grounding out. i covered the wire with some heat shrink and the spark looks super bright and fat, but it won't even pop once. what am i missing?

Fuel. Have you poured mix through the carb? I would bet u either have a stuck needle or a split fuel line. I had both on mine!

I did pour fuel through the carb, I actually keep some fuel mix in a spray bottle on the work bench. I gave it just a little squirt at a time so not to flood it. The dang thing never even thought about starting. I knew there was a good reason I like yellow saws. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously though, this looks like it could be a good saw. I got fuel, air, spark for sure. The fourth part of the equation is timing and I checked the flywheel key. Is there a way timing could be off with the flywheel in the correct position? Like the coil is delaying or something?

I had a similar situation with a 009L that was resolved with replacing the spark plug. The old plug tested fine in open air, but wouldn't fire in the saw. I saved that plug to someday see what gives with it.

I had a similar situation with a 009L that was resolved with replacing the spark plug. The old plug tested fine in open air, but wouldn't fire in the saw. I saved that plug to someday see what gives with it.

Aight, I'll try that today. Thanks

Seriously though, this looks like it could be a good saw. I got fuel, air, spark for sure. The fourth part of the equation is timing and I checked the flywheel key. Is there a way timing could be off with the flywheel in the correct position? Like the coil is delaying or something?

From my experience, no. If the woodruff key is in place and you have spark it has to be a fuel issue. Did you check plug after pulling recoil to see if its wet? If its dry, I suggest a carb rebuild. Is the 020 a reed valve saw? Maybe the reed valve assembly needs attention.

From my experience, no. If the woodruff key is in place and you have spark it has to be a fuel issue. Did you check plug after pulling recoil to see if its wet? If its dry, I suggest a carb rebuild. Is the 020 a reed valve saw? Maybe the reed valve assembly needs attention.

I have been putting fuel mix straight down the carb. I have pulled the plug multiple times and it has had fuel on it. I started spraying fuel in small amounts and trying to start it, then pull the plug to inspect to make sure that I'm not flooding it. Maybe it was flooded. I'll try another plug in today after it has set all night. Also, this is not a reed intake. Thanks for the input

If it wont pop after a new plug and a spray of gas into the cylinder consider to coil to possibly be in question even though it sparks when the plug is out it may be weak under compression.:bang::bang::bang:

I think something like this is possible.

I've reworked probably 80-100 mcculloch saws and all but 3 in my signature run. But this little bastard is about to be thrown across the yard. Not really, it's got to be something simple. Hopefully with the mentioned ideas above I'll get it going this morning. I'll post back either way. Thanks

I have been putting fuel mix straight down the carb. I have pulled the plug multiple times and it has had fuel on it. I started spraying fuel in small amounts and trying to start it, then pull the plug to inspect to make sure that I'm not flooding it. Maybe it was flooded. I'll try another plug in today after it has set all night. Also, this is not a reed intake. Thanks for the input

Is the spark a nice blue or weak yellow in a dark room?Any fuel dripping out the muffler?

last night there was not fuel coming from the muffler, and the spark was very bright white, almost blueish in color. it wasn't the thin orange strip that tells me for sure that the coil is bad.

also, this ignition system is the two piece design. it has the points style coil that was used on the older 020 saws, but it has a replacement piece under the coil where the points and condenser would be. it's not anything after market like the "max fire" chips or any others.

Aight, this morning I went out to start the saw. Same as last night, great spark on a new plug but still won't fire up. So, I turned the lights off on the shop so I could check the plug wire, I wanted to see if I could find a spark arcing from the wire. I found no problems, but now I've got no spark at all. I removed the kill switch and still no spark. So, maybe I'm on to something now. After work today I'll replace the little ignition module that is behind the flywheel with an aftermarket and check again

I replaced the ignition module with a aftermarket nova 2 chip and now it seams to run good. I will use it for a while this evening and report back.

Bad news again, it starts easy and cuts stronger than expected but I can't get the idle set. I have the idle screw backed all the way out. I even looked down the carb and I can see that the butterfly is closed and it still idles too fast. I can get the idle speed right by backing out the low needle but then it bogs and smokes before it revs up. So I figure I've got a leak somewhere. I swear, I will from now on give these orange and white saws away. I've got to stick with yellow.

Back