Help with Stihl 051 without chain break

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gensetsteve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi new to the forum just got permission to post have read forum for a few months looks good and there is a serious amount of knowledge on here:clap:

I have recently increased my log cutting to sell for profit. I have a Stihl 051 saw which is absolutely mint condition but has no chain break fitted. My question is am I taking a massive risk cross cutting 1 metre trunks with this saw. If so does anyone have a 051 for parts, I would like to buy the chain break assy. Stihl have stopped doing the kit.

Gensetsteve said:
Hi new to the forum just got permission to post have read forum for a few months looks good and there is a serious amount of knowledge on here:clap:

I have recently increased my log cutting to sell for profit. I have a Stihl 051 saw which is absolutely mint condition but has no chain break fitted. My question is am I taking a massive risk cross cutting 1 metre trunks with this saw. If so does anyone have a 051 for parts, I would like to buy the chain break assy. Stihl have stopped doing the kit.

Massive risk? No. Somewhat elevated over one with a chain brake yes but not something to obsess over. Just watch that you don't hit something with the nose of the bar and that you have a firm grip on both handles of the saw. Best to stand to one side while bucking so you are not in direct line with the bar. That last is just the natural position anyhow but...

Harry K

It just requires you to change out the chain side cover for one that contains the brake mechanism. Sometimes you may need to change out the hand guard also. Saws of that era had the chain brake as optional, but most never bought it.

Several of the Stihl junkyards (sorry Bailey :) ) will have them. if you can't find one, PM me and I'll locate one for you.

Back