Helper Springs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundance

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've got a 2001 S-10 I picked up for wood hauling duties (short distance hauls usually). Loaded it up tonight and its obvious the rear springs will need help for its intended mission. Thoughts on helper springs, etc.?

Thanks,

Sundance

Last edited:
The air helpers are the top of the line stuff if you can swing the $$$, they don't bother the ride when empty, and you just run enough air to keep the ride level when loaded.

Doing it cheaper, the add a leafs at the local parts store do the job, just give you a rougher ride empty.

I'm against air shocks. Shocks are to smooth the ride, not carry the load. Using them to hold things up kills their performance in the shock absorbing department.

Based on advice here, I added a set of Roadmaster Active Suspension springs. Maybe not as good as air bags, but better than nothing and easy to install.

Jack

I put a set on my old ford, the springs were shot and a load of wood would bottom out. After they were installed the truck will again hold a good load without bottoming out. As mentioned they are a breeze to put on. I highly recommend them.

I have a set of supersprings on my Nissan pickup wood hauler, and a set of 6 leaf helper packs on my Tahoe for boat towing. Both work very well.

I put helper springs on my truck.
You have to jack-up the body and loosen the axle.(rear end to do it right).
The springs were about $35. about a 3-4 hour install with the right tools.(add more time if they use salt on the roads in PA)
They make helper springs that go around the axle and bolt to the leaf springs i don't know if i would trust them.
I would buy a small trailer and let it take the load and it will haul more.
(you can haul some wood and your saws in the PU bed).
Craigslist or http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42709.
Handyman magazine usually has a 20% off for HFT. (bookstore),see if the coupon is there before you spend the $5.
I have hauled 300 + cords on one of these!,1/2 cord @ a time and you can always sell it for what you paid for it.(a 2 hour build).
Mark

SuperSprings

I put a set of SuperSprings on the rear of my Dodge 1500 and they are working exceptionally well with no ill effect to the ride.

when you all start talking about adding a leaf or some helpers I feel ike an over achiever!
I went from 150 to F350 springs, but I dont kill it I just load it normaly and enjoy the confindence.

The air helpers are the top of the line stuff if you can swing the $$$, they don't bother the ride when empty, and you just run enough air to keep the ride level when loaded.

Doing it cheaper, the add a leafs at the local parts store do the job, just give you a rougher ride empty.

I'm against air shocks. Shocks are to smooth the ride, not carry the load. Using them to hold things up kills their performance in the shock absorbing department.

:agree2:

Super Springs the way to go.Not a lot of money and easy to put on.They are progressive so they don't effect the ride .They start to work as your load weighs the truck down.You will be surprised the difference they make.

Back