Helping a family member pick out a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a cousin that probably cuts about 10 rick of wood a year, maybe more, maybe less. He is in the market for a new 20" saw. He is currently looking at three models, Husqvarna 455, Stihl P290 and an Echo(not sure of the model). I believe all three are 56cc models. The Echo is the most expensive out of the three. Does Echo make good chainsaws? If he went with Husqvarna, would he be better off with an XP model? I think the 455 is a homeowners saw.

He acted like he would like to get one that can run a 24" chain in case he runs into some big stuff. What size chainsaw would he need to run a 24" chain? I would imagine that would be out of his price range.

I have a cousin that probably cuts about 10 rick of wood a year, maybe more, maybe less. He is in the market for a new 20" saw. He is currently looking at three models, Husqvarna 455, Stihl P290 and an Echo(not sure of the model). I believe all three are 56cc models. The Echo is the most expensive out of the three. Does Echo make good chainsaws? If he went with Husqvarna, would he be better off with an XP model? I think the 455 is a homeowners saw.

He acted like he would like to get one that can run a 24" chain in case he runs into some big stuff. What size chainsaw would he need to run a 24" chain? I would imagine that would be out of his price range.

Don't let Guido get wind of this thread... He'll light you up over that "rick" thing...

Any of the saws you mentioned will easily handle the task of cutting 3 or 4 cords of wood per year. I would buy the one that cost the least. He does not need an expensive pro saw for his needs. He needs a way to sharpen chains (or some spare chains).

FWIW, the Mrs. and I did this with a Stihl 025 and a Poulan 2000. You can't tell it, but the stack is over 12' deep.
The woodshed next to it contains around 8 cords. Some of the logs we bucked were over 30" in diameter.

246497d1343490756-wood-pile-jpg

Any of the saws you mentioned will easily handle the task of cutting 3 or 4 cords of wood per year. I would buy the one that cost the least. He does not need an expensive pro saw for his needs. He needs a way to sharpen chains (or some spare chains).

That is a misconception, everyone needs a pro saw.

FWIW, the Mrs. and I did this with a Stihl 025 and a Poulan 2000. You can't tell it, but the stack is over 12' deep.
The woodshed next to it contains around 8 cords. Some of the logs we bucked were over 30" in diameter.

That's a nice stack.

You must be either very patient or retired to do that with those two saws.

That's a nice stack.

You must be either very patient or retired to do that with those two saws.

Both. I bought the 025 back in the 90's, the 2000 we've had for a few months, used mostly
for limbing. We do use a hydraulic splitter. The wood is mostly oak and hedge, with some
silver maple, mulberry, and walnut mixed in. The 025 has been more that adequate for what
we do. Sometimes the 18" bar requires a little imagination to accomplish the job. We heat
exclusively with wood.

24" mean s 60cc at the bearest minimum. 20" is usually the sensible max for 60cc.

Any used 70cc saw would be much better than what he is looking at. Husky 365 or Dolmar 6400 would be ok.

Plus, none of those clamshell saws will oil those bar lengths worth a crap.

24" mean s 60cc at the bearest minimum. 20" is usually the sensible max for 60cc.

Any used 70cc saw would be much better than what he is looking at. Husky 365 or Dolmar 6400 would be ok.

Plus, none of those clamshell saws will oil those bar lengths worth a crap.

+1 send him to Home Depot and get a rental 6401. It is superior to all the saws he has looked at and probably can be had for considerably less. I love my Dolkita.

I think your friend needs to decide whether or not he really needs the capability to run a 24" bar. You can cut 36" logs with a 20" bar, and there are several good options for 60cc (or really good 50cc) saws that can save him some money and have a smaller, lighter saw in his hands.

I think your friend needs to decide whether or not he really needs the capability to run a 24" bar. You can cut 36" logs with a 20" bar, and there are several good options for 60cc (or really good 50cc) saws that can save him some money and have a smaller, lighter saw in his hands.

And if your bar is longer than the length of your firewood, by noodling off sections you could cut up a redwood with a 20" bar. What could not what should....

Knowing the price range would help also. If I could only have one saw, it would prob be a Husky 562 XP. People on here swear by the Husky 346 XP also_Out of the saws listed i would chose the 455.

Last edited:
Well he decided to go with a Husqvarna 460. He paid $430 with a 20" bar and chain and a bar cover, originally they were asking $480. He never wanted to run a 24" chain but he just liked the fact that he will have more than enough power running a 20" chain. One thing I noticed is the 460 is lighter than the 455. I figured it would be heavier.

He probably could have bought a better used saw but he was not too keen on buying used.

I went along with him because I would like to have a different one myself. Where we went, they did not have to many XP models to chose from:msp_sad:

Kind of off subject but we went to a Stihl dealer and I noticed an MS261 is quite a bit more expensive than a MS290. Why is that?

Last edited:
+1 send him to Home Depot and get a rental 6401. It is superior to all the saws he has looked at and probably can be had for considerably less. I love my Dolkita.

This is a fair statement.:rock: It will also handle the 24" bar on occasion. Its like a cummins just sets in and pulls.:msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

Well he decided to go with a Husqvarna 460. He paid $430 with a 20" bar and chain and a bar cover, originally they were asking $480. He never wanted to run a 24" chain but he just liked the fact that he will have more than enough power running a 20" chain. One thing I noticed is the 460 is lighter than the 455. I figured it would be heavier.

He probably could have bought a better used saw but he was not too keen on buying used.

I went along with him because I would like to have a different one myself. Where we went, they did not have to many XP models to chose from:msp_sad:

Kind of off subject but we went to a Stihl dealer and I noticed an MS261 is quite a bit more expensive than a MS290. Why is that?

bc a 261 is a pro grade saw and a 290 is a clamshell homeowners saw. a 261 would humiliate a 290 across the board.

I wonder if anyone from Norway seen what a 025 can do :D

bc a 261 is a pro grade saw and a 290 is a clamshell homeowners saw. a 261 would humiliate a 290 across the board.

It's kinda like apples and oranges :msp_biggrin:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but how can a 50cc saw out run a 56cc saw? What is different about the engine on the 261 to make it better?

And how do you tell which of the Stihls are the pro models? Is it the models with 1 at the end?

Latest posts

Back