Here's a pic of a good 066 port (worksaw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was told not to polish because you need turbulence, i guess this would only be on the intake side though?????

serg

Yeah, alot of people theorize that turbulence in the intake and/or transfers is a good thing.

No arguement for it in the exhaust I can think of.

Fred

rough on the intake helps.

polished smooth on the exhaust decreases surface area significantly, whcih significantly reduces the heat the jug gets transferred into it.

for sure polished smooth is the RIGHT way to treat the exhaust.

I don't know if I could suggest any beter way to do up that port.

Maybe like Simon says, a little rounder profile maybe something like pic 1.

For the intake I might think of something along the lines of pic 2. Also you can see some of the intake in pic 1.

hey Simon, would these numbers work on an O64 too?

Too "rectangular", the finish is nice but inconsequential. Don't touch the intake, just deburr the casting ridge. Don't touch the transfer ports!!!.The exhaust port should measure 56.50mm from the base when you are done on this saw. To gain more effective intake duration, take 0.080" from the intake side of the piston skirt. Machine 0.010" off the piston crown but only cross-feed 0.375" on your lathe, next throw away your base gasket, you will now have 0.020" clearance between the top of the combustion chamber and the piston at TDC. Seal with Permatex Ultra-Grey. Remove the muffler, cut the basket open with a die-grinder using a 1/32" X 3" Walter slitting wheel, don't leave any burrs that may come loose. Install the hi-flow exhaust casing but cut an extra hole 7/8" in diameter and install an exhaust outlet from a 288 Husq. PN 503 0783-01. Remove limiter cap on hi-speed needle, adjust to 1-1/8, leave the low-speed alone. Now you are in the ball-park. Simon.

I don't know if I could suggest any beter way to do up that port.

Maybe like Simon says, a little rounder profile maybe something like pic 1.

For the intake I might think of something along the lines of pic 2. Also you can see some of the intake in pic 1.
Well,that's uncanny.The resemblence is amazing .Those pictures look like the same cylinder and both taken on top of a pool table or something with green felt.I almost think I've seen a similar picture some place but I just can't remember where.Never the less you guys must think along the same lines or so it would seem.

these two jugs has the exact same casting marks.... hmmmm...

attachment.php

066 BB exhaust port.JPG

Well,that's uncanny.The resemblence is amazing .Those pictures look like the same cylinder and both taken on top of a pool table or something with green felt.I almost think I've seen a similar picture some place but I just can't remember where.Never the less you guys must think along the same lines or so it would seem.

Last edited:
First, quantify #1. Just because tuners that don't want to do extra work have said it and people accept it does NOT make it true.

I polished it because it didn't take much extra effort because of a steady hand with a porting tool. You don't have to do it, but WTF.

The aftermarket kits are all over the board. Balancing is quite linear with a single stroke engine.................

Fred

A steady hand with a porting tool indeed! Did you take that photo yourself Fred?

That does seem to be a very photegenic cylinder! I also happen to have a phote of it before Timberwolf and Mr. got to do any porting on it. Picture below. Sorry about the overexposure;
It has been commented that the port opening is a little too rectangular but there is not a lot that could have been done to it. The suggestion of rounding out the roof would have lost more of the already lowish compression and because of the width of the piston skirts, little was left to be taken out of the sides to round out the port shape. Bottom of the port leaves very little material to remove to achieve any rounding as there is very little piston skirt coverage there especially if any attempt is made to lower the jug. They had to work around what they got dumped on the plate.
Because of geometry changes of simply enlarging bore, the inclination of the port openings changes port timing relationships on the Big Bore jugs in comparison to Stihl OEM. I think some of the dimensions Simonizer suggested without having his hands on that particular jug might not yield the best compromises for a work saw based on it.
That was one of the prototypes that Baileys sent out to builders for appraisal; I think some suggestions were made for pssible changes to the production run.

That does seem to be a very photegenic cylinder! I also happen to have a phote of it before Timberwolf and Mr. got to do any porting on it. Picture below. Sorry about the overexposure;
Why for heavens sakes,that cylinder really gets around,I'm telling you.I also have a picture ,how about that.

I've never met the cylinder in person but by the looks of things ,it's a real world traveler.I first became acquanted with it during it's travel to Ontario,via the internet.Evidently it's cousin went to Arkansas,to visit Fred.:buttkick: :laugh:

Al actually I dont think that cylinder left Ontario after the picture I took of it prior to the porting it received!

Have you seen the setup they are experimenting with where they use a robot to do the actual manipulating of the instruments and a doctor miles away operates joy sticks and does surgery via totally digital connection. Maybe Mr. and Timberwolf managed this apparent legerdemain by this means

Last edited:
Al actually I dont think that cylinder left Ontario after the picture I took of it prior to the porting it received!

Have you seen the setup they are experimenting with where they use a robot to do the actual manipulating of the instruments and a doctor miles away operates joy sticks and does surgery via totally digital connection. Maybe Mr. and Timberwolf managed this apparent legerdemain by this means
Actually the cousin to Fred's cylinder resided or maybe still does at TW's.The part about the matching cylinders doesn't amaze me quite as much as the matching pool tables. Now what's the odds in that,I ask ya.

Ya know some time ago a certain personality in New Jersey had an exact duplicate of a cylinder that was being reworked in the California mountains.Even the lathe was identical.I'm telling you the miracles of modern science simpley amaze me.:hmm3grin2orange:

Are you guys implying that Mr and Timberwolf are one in the same?

Boy, then the gig is up, all along the bantering and bickering has been nothing more than an ellaborate stage show contrived to pump up the post counter. LOL.

Are you guys implying that Mr and Timberwolf are one in the same?

Boy, then the gig is up, all along the bantering and bickering has been nothing more than an ellaborate stage show contrived to pump up the post counter. LOL.

On at least 3 different forums! It must take some mental agility to keep all the pictures, IP addresses and such all attached to the right alter ego. Nah! I imagine there will be a good explanation.

On at least 3 different forums! It must take some mental agility to keep all the pictures, IP addresses and such all attached to the right alter ego. Nah! I imagine there will be a good explanation.
I don't really think Fred is still on that many or at least not as Fred.Sometimes Fred is just not himself in a manner of speaking.TW on the other hand always seems to be TW.

You don't suppose Fred is really Simon do you?:confused:

This was long enough ago I forget if I was screwing with TW or I made a mistake and really don't care at this point.

The only reason I think it might have been an honest mistake was because the actual picture had alot of green also.

But HTFCares?
attachment.php

Fred

Last edited:
Actually the cousin to Fred's cylinder resided or maybe still does at TW's.The part about the matching cylinders doesn't amaze me quite as much as the matching pool tables. Now what's the odds in that,I ask ya.

Ya know some time ago a certain personality in New Jersey had an exact duplicate of a cylinder that was being reworked in the California mountains.Even the lathe was identical.I'm telling you the miracles of modern science simpley amaze me.:hmm3grin2orange:

Al, you might want to borrow some of Frank's milking boots to wade through the muck you are shoveling. That is if you don't already have a pair through previous arrangement. BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Fred

if I didn't know any better... I'd think these two pic's were taken by same camera.

why according to image data... these two pic were taken by same Canon PowerShot A95, 3 seconds apart

must be a coincidence :D

these two jugs has the exact same casting marks.... hmmmm...

attachment.php

066 BB exhaust port.JPG

if I didn't know any better... I'd think these two pic's were taken by same camera.

why according to image data... these two pic were taken by same Canon PowerShot A95, 3 seconds apart

must be a coincidence :D

Welcome to yesterday.

Latest posts

Back