heres a trick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

371groundie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
for all you who use a tractor with a front bucket. its a leaf spring bolted inside the bucket with the curve up. if you need to do dirt work just run the bucket level. to use the forks just curl the bucket down a little and the fork slides under the log. scoop and you got it! i can pile wood 8 ft high with that rig.

S3010003.jpg

S3010002-1.jpg

Add this to my list of projects! I just have to remember which snowbank that old spring pack is in!

Thanks!

371 Groundie

I am assuming you have a leaf spring in both corners of your bucket ?

It is a great Idea to have flexible forks for logs Thanks. David

I love the idea of the curved springs cradling the log, it seems like that setup would be very forgiving for "oops" bucket drops and uneven terrain

His spring is just too stiff, it needs more arch to it

this is how we get banned from our favorite tree site lol

Looks great, just be careful that you don't lift too high and have it roll back on you. I have had a scare and know a couple guys that have had hay bales land on them. It can happen very quickly, maybe when you are backing up and lifting the loader, not realizing how high you are lifting.

Hey Groundie

Great tip just what I was looking for:clap: I even have a F350 leaf in the back yard. My little kubota does not have the lift capacity to justify forks. + with forks the log gets rolling fast or comes off at a angle. On my Uncle's tractor he made something that looks like that so a log or roundbale will not roll out the back of the bucket. I am tired of jumping off the tractor hooking and unhooking chains.

IMG_0548.JPG

Blakey you can add me to that list. Right after I got out of hi-school 1984 I cought a 800lb round bale. Bruise on my chest where my chin hit it and 10% crush on my third vertebrae. That's when the loader tractor got a full roll cage. Good thing for my Uncle as we were logging with it. He was carrying 16' log in the bucket hit a dead pine with one end of it. And a 12" dia top fell and broke apart on the cage.

Billy

Bruise on my chest where my chin hit it and 10% crush on my third vertebrae. That's when the loader tractor got a full roll cage. Good thing for my Uncle as we were logging with it. He was carrying 16' log in the bucket hit a dead pine with one end of it. And a 12" dia top fell and broke apart on the cage.

Billy

OUCH, that sounds like it hurt Billy!:cry:
You guys with tractors and other BIG machines need to be very careful. It's bad enough with chain saws with sharp chains. I don't know how many of you guys have nicked your leg, but I have, tore a hole in my pant leg and made my shin bleed. I think I should get some of those chaps!?:dizzy:

I hate it when sombody both out thinks and out cheap skates me:mad:
Great idea, mine will be installed by Saturday

yes there is one on each corner. id have to say that this is the only JD with genuine ford parts, both the springs i used have the ford logo cast in them.

i have considered adding a back stop of sorts to keep things from rolling backwards. it is somthing thats always on my mind when forking logs around.

they also work well for pulling small stumps, and general destruction of things. all the power of the tractor on that small point can almost break rocks. (remember to use grade 8 bolts) and be prepared to replace the springs if they break, ive broken two and bent one.

one word of caution, when you curl the bucket all the way back the bend in the loader arms lines up with the forks and you cant see them. i havent run mine into anything expensive yet, but it could happen. keep that in mind.

My thoughts were to add a couple strips of bar stock on either side to keep them straight, but low enough that by lifting on the spring you could lift over them and swing them out of position inside the bucket when not in use.

It may be a bit before I get this done though, gonna be fixing the front hub tomorrow and back at the woodcutting I missed this week due to it. I promise to get pics when it gets done, though.

BTW, my bucket is wider than most of the compacts on here, 7.5', so mine will be added nearer the center, and cut just long enough that they will fold in without hitting the center brace. Old pic attached with a pretty good view of my bucket. The reason for taking this pic originally was to get an idea how much wood came out of a 24" or so oak round after splitting.

attachment.php

thats a cool idea, to fold the outa the way. i have unbolted mine once or twice for some grading work. since i have the quick attach bucket id like to get another bucket. they make one bigger than what i have that would be awsome for pushing snow.

Latest posts

Back