Here's What I Don't Like

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbnimble

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I watch videos endlessly. I read books and articles constantly. I practice and practice and practice some more. I practice in bed, on the toilet, as a passenger in a car. I talk with xperienced guys about it, getting every tip ever offerred AND I STILL STINK. I take a dull chain and make it worse. I try various contraptions. I free hand it. I memorize what the pros say they do. No one that I know of is as bad as I am at sharpening chains.

I have improved, but I see guys sharpen brand new chains with their eyes closed. After many years dedicated to sharpening chainsaw chains, I still have no idea what I'm doing. And, it shows.

Try practicing with a bar & chain locked firmly in a bench vice with a well filed chain in hand to compare to & match.
I'm also a fan of using a grinder to get everything back to even & true every few sharpenings

Have you tried in-person instruction?
Are you trying to square file or round file?
i would like in-person instruction but have no luck. when i sign up, within 10 minutes (it never fails) the instructor is mysteriously rushed to the emergency ward and winds up hospitalized for months only to retire from the training racket upon release.

I use a round file. How do you guys tell if your file is worn out?

Try practicing with a bar & chain locked firmly in a bench vice with a well filed chain in hand to compare to & match.
I'm also a fan of using a grinder to get everything back to even & true every few sharpenings
Great minds think alike. I purchased a new RS 33 91 last summer and just started using it Saturday. I used it as a guide as you suggest. It was another Titanic Moment for yours truly. I'll have to tighten down the chain better. Good suggestion!

Where you from? It's not terribly hard to hand file a chain, if your close to Lebanon, PA I'd gladly show you. If not I would imagine there's a member here that's close that wouldn't mind showing you.

Back