Hey all you mid-west guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Be safe out there in this storm, and make some money! Just read, that the weather service is calling for an inch of ice.

Trade ya an inch of ice for 3 inches of rain - better for business.:rain::rain::rain:

Better yet, :fingers-crossed: 3 inches of ice is like a lottery ticket.

I'm already packed, but might not have to even leave here. Chicagoland is going to get hammered hard.

No worries getting around, here's our assault vehicle.

170543d1296568269-2011-01-04_15-14-51_203-jpg

Last edited:
Better yet, :fingers-crossed: 3 inches of ice is like a lottery ticket.

I'm already packed, but might not have to even leave here. Chicagoland is going to get hammered hard.

No worries getting around, here's our assault vehicle.

170543d1296568269-2011-01-04_15-14-51_203-jpg

LOL,Looks like it had already been assaulted a couple of times.
Gonna need it for that 2 foot of snow,good luck.

I do not have the schedule to do any real traveling, but i have been getting calls from people looking for gigs. I could probably get several different crews w/ or w/o rolling stock on the road in a few days. I know i can get climbers on the road.

Woke up to about 7 or 8 inches of snow and the ice is supposed to start comen in here about 6 pm with wind gust of up to 31mph. If the ice does come they call for 1/2 to 1 inch by morning....Hasnt been a real ice storm around here in a long time, I am thinkn we may be due. :waiting:

Woke up to about 7 or 8 inches of snow and the ice is supposed to start comen in here about 6 pm with wind gust of up to 31mph. If the ice does come they call for 1/2 to 1 inch by morning....Hasnt been a real ice storm around here in a long time, I am thinkn we may be due. :waiting:
I think they're calling for only about 1/4" over here in Geauga. I'm hoping we don't get much more. I left a few trees on the table in December when we quit. The HO's were OK with waiting until we start again in March but if get big ice and wind and they start dropping limbs I know I'll have to go out and deal with them. 'Washed the van and backed it in the garage. Got 30 gal. of gas for the generator. If I have to go I will but I'm 30 lbs. out of shape and climbing popsicles isn't my idea of a good time. Maybe I'll tell them to call TreeAce over in Avon? Hmmm? Stay safe through the whole thing.
Phil

I think they're calling for only about 1/4" over here in Geauga. I'm hoping we don't get much more. I left a few trees on the table in December when we quit. The HO's were OK with waiting until we start again in March but if get big ice and wind and they start dropping limbs I know I'll have to go out and deal with them. 'Washed the van and backed it in the garage. Got 30 gal. of gas for the generator. If I have to go I will but I'm 30 lbs. out of shape and climbing popsicles isn't my idea of a good time. Maybe I'll tell them to call TreeAce over in Avon? Hmmm? Stay safe through the whole thing.
Phil
I have some mixed feelings about an ice storm myself. I actually have work on the table myself with only one job thats slighty pressing. I could always use more work I reckon but it sure is warm in my house and my feet feel pretty good in these wool socks. I dont have a lift so I am rather limited safety wise. I am a bit crazy but icey trees are , well...kinda crazy. But I have done it. I know my wife is happy cuz they pretty well told her to plan on workn from home tomorrow. Which can be kinda nice for the whole family to be home on a snow day. If she does stay home then OBV kids will have no school. No school today. You stay safe n warm as well small wood!

If you all have to get out in it, wear some good gloves. This wind and sub temps can cause frostbite before you know it.

If you all have to get out in it, wear some good gloves. This wind and sub temps can cause frostbite before you know it.

Oh ya..had frostbite on my right hand ring finger. Didnt take much either. Trimming trees in dead of winter...cold as a witches t*t. Was just wearn a pair of brown jersey gloves and that finger had a tear in it. When I got down and took off my glove n saw my finger I said W..T..F..!!!!! Tip of my finger was black. I didnt lose the end of my finger thankfully. But thanks for the warning! It really does happen folks!!

Oh ya..had frostbite on my right hand ring finger. Didnt take much either. Trimming trees in dead of winter...cold as a witches t*t. Was just wearn a pair of brown jersey gloves and that finger had a tear in it. When I got down and took off my glove n saw my finger I said W..T..F..!!!!! Tip of my finger was black. I didnt lose the end of my finger thankfully. But thanks for the warning! It really does happen folks!!

Once long ago in Nebraska, I decided I would try to lick the window in 40 below, that stuck with me a while:)
There is cold then there is; well colder lol.

TreeAce ~ thanks for the warning! It really does happen folks!!

The reason I brought that up, is; I went out to check on my livestock. Bundled up good with a pair of regular leather gloves. Wasn't out there for more than an hour and suddenly my fingers started screaming at me with pain. I knew then that this isn't normal winter weather at 17F and 30mph wind gusts. So plan ahead to take a good pair with you in case they'll be needed. Kinda like Wedges. They ain't much use if you leave 'em at home and your sawbar is hung in a tree.:soldier:

Once long ago in Nebraska, I decided I would try to lick the window in 40 below, that stuck with me a while:)
There is cold then there is; well colder lol.

I cant say I ever been in -40 weather. Man..thats cold. The day I got frostbite I wanna say it was like 8 or 10 with a breeze blown in off Lake Erie. Which I was right next to. IDK what the wind chill was. I was young OBV. My fingers and toes cant hardly take those temps anymore.

The reason I brought that up, is; I went out to check on my livestock. Bundled up good with a pair of regular leather gloves. Wasn't out there for more than an hour and suddenly my fingers started screaming at me with pain. I knew then that this isn't normal winter weather at 17F and 30mph wind gusts. So plan ahead to take a good pair with you in case they'll be needed. Kinda like Wedges. They ain't much use if you leave 'em at home and your sawbar is hung in a tree.:soldier:
A couple pairs! I have also found those shake em up hand warmer pouches can be good to keep around also.

Back