Hey..All you northwest guys!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leave a strap like that when I cut big water oaks or white oaks especially.They seem the most prone to splitting....I've got a four foot diameter poplar to cut pretty soon that is nearly 200 feet tall,and the only option is to drop it between two houses because the top is so dead,all of us are afraid to climb it....I'm looking forward to that job.I'll be posting pics of it

Boy I never liked felling poplar, the hinge wood was usually worthless.

Western trash trees

From the various clear cut slash piles that I regularly harvest firewood from around here, and from what I hear from local loggers, and from what we have growing here on our 105 arcre lot... lets see. Lots to tell.

Basically here in the coastal range of central Oregon they clear-cut doug fir and red cedar, and cut and leave the rest as 'trash trees'. The trash trees include: bigleaf and vine maple, madrone, california black oak, Oregon white oak, and grand fir. I find maple, oak and madrone the most in burned slash piles here that I pick through for firewood. Lots of cull logs of doug fir and cedar too. Insence sedar is another tree that they sometimes take and sometimes leave. Prices for cedar are high now, as is alder. Lately they have been cutting alder. We also have sugar and ponderosa pine around here, as well as KMX (knobcone-Montery pine cross).

From ancient records here, these forests were once climax forests with Douglas firs and Hemlock as the dominant species. Doug fir is by far the dominant planted species of tree here for harvesting. Once upon a time costal redwoods grew this far north. When this property was first logged 150 years ago, there were a lot more ponderosa pines mixed in with doug and grand fir, red and insence cedars, CA black oaks, maples, and alder. On this 105 acre property now, Douglas fir is the dominant species of mature trees, maybe 50% of what we have. Another 20% is grand fir. 10% is red cedar. The rest is a mix of insence cedar, willows (7 types), cottonwoods, Oregon ash, Pacific Dogwood, California black oak, Pacific Madrone, bigleaf and vine maple, red alder and then some old orchard trees (apple, pear, plum, and walnut). This area was a big plum and apple producing area between WWI and WWII.

We have an intersting mix of trees here as this property has been a cattle, sheep, horse and goat ranch and an orchard over the years. It has been logged at least 3 times and there are doug fir stumps here that are over 10 ft across (logged back in 1980). This area was populated by the Kalapooya Indians before white settlers came here in the 1850s. We have cleared areas that date back to the Indians burning here every summer. David Douglas noted the fires when he was here doing a survey in the early 19th century. We have California black oaks that are over 400 years old, and bigleaf maples over 100 years old. They could not have grown in the understory of Douglas or grand firs. They could only grow where there were regular fires to clear out the undergrowth of trees. They are being grown under and over by these trees now, and if they are left alone, they will be choked out by the conifers. So we are starting to cut out the younger firs to save some of the stands of old oaks and maples. We also have a 10 acre canyon that is mostly red cedar. It was logged about 30 years ago, and the new stand has grown in and repaced it.

In the more dense forests here we have a general mix of mostly firs, with a sprinkling of oaks, bigleaf maple and madrone. We are trying to preserve that diversity, as well as replant where the previous owners clear-cut and high-graded. We have planted tousands of trees here in the past 4 years. Doug and grand fir, giant sequoia, coastal redwood, red and insence cedar, ponderosa pine (great for hot and wet spots), Oregon white oak, Oregon ash, bigleaf and vine maple, red alder and willows. Some areas we are putting into a cut and replant forest plan, and some areas we are preserving in the forest plan. We are also preserving some of the open areas under the forest plan for wildlife. Cutting is on a 40 year cycle, and we are not going to be around to harvest any of the trees that we are planting here now. But it improves the value of the property should we dicide to sell this place.

Long answer to a simple question I guess, but I have been steeped in this place for the past 2-1/2 years observing and thinking about this stuff.

Probably because I was making a joke.

Ya'll gotta understand....I'm too serious much of the time...My wife even has a hard time making me laugh,and she could be a stand up comedian if she wanted to....Imagine that,a overly serious tree climber who races dirt bikes and a stand-up comedian cop....I'll believe most anything until I have a reason not to.

Boy I never liked felling poplar, the hinge wood was usually worthless.

You gotta make a high backcut to make a big enough hinge..They can be tough.

Maple is about all you'll really see here, and it's not usually ever "logged." A gypo buddy of mine used to deal in high grade hardwood from around here. Selectively falling/selling individual trees from amongst the timber. Timber in quantity is the name of the game around here-Fir, cedar, hemlock, did I mention fir? You'll see a truck of alder here and there if you want to call that "hardwood." It's got leaves at least. It's getting more popular.

There's madrona, but no one messes with it. Not worth anything beyond firewood, and too much hassle to stack/load/haul. We do have the state champion here in town though, and a perfectly straight, 4' dbh mandrona not a block away from it. Two cool trees. Beyond that, it's a nuciance.

Oh yeah, we've got cottonwood too, but can you say "absofrigginlutely worthless?"

Jeff

Yeah, I agree with Jeff. I've seen those two large Madrona's he's talkin' about. Very impressive! The only major hardwoods I can think of in our state is BigLeaf Maple (westside tree found in lowland areas and gulleys), Red Alder (found in lowland/swampy areas), Black Cottonwood (Fastest growing tree in Washington State, normally found near creeks and river banks), also some Quaking Aspen trees are present (mainly commen in Eastern Washington, found around lowland swampy areas, streams banks). I'm sure there are more than that.......but those are the ones that come to mind. All of those trees have little to no value in the commercial world, however I have seen some guys use them for firewood.

I'd like to come out there and slam one of those big evergreens...You guys outta' come over here and try cutting on some of these water oaks,Hickory's and black locust...They are heavy and hit the ground hard.I have cut some big hickory trees,where I would cut my wedge out,then have to re-sharpen the saw to make the back cut.That's some tough wood...You almost need a concrete saw.

Man that seems convoluted

You guys get your fir from the west and we get our hardwood from the east.

Go figure,,,,, no wonder it so expensive we gotta cut it & then haul it across the country??????

Yep the oak hard wood here especially red oak brings top dollar for flooring, cabinet work, & fire wood...... and the river birch fetches a nice price for cabinetry as well..........

From trash to cash...

Well, the trashwood here does not have to be. We have Pacific Madrone floors in this house and they are quite striking. And hard. Only 2 mills that I know of in the west mill mardone though.

Dual power head..

I believe stihl makes a 96" bar that is setup to run with a powerhead on each end... Would be good for a quick backcut..

394xp
4 old homelite 925's
husky61
Shindiawa 757

Re: Windthrown reply #23

Wow! Windthrown's reply is simply awesome. Its like going to a hamberger barbque and finding out your getting steak. Put me on the mailing list when his book comes out.
Hi, my name is Knoth0g, and I am a chainsaw addict. This is my first meeting and greeting. Thanks for allowing me to join the discussion.
Windthrown speaks of love and compassion about his farm, "planting doug firs......." and not being around to harvest 'em. Many folks look at us chainsaw maniacs as rapers and pillagers getting ready to burn the forest village, his enlightened reply #23 goes to show that we like to saw, but want timber standing when are children and grandchildren fire up our ol' Stihls.
Last week I stumbled into an ol' chainsaw repair shop and found the mother lode of chainsaws. Some were as new as the 1960's. Saw some saws that I had only heard about, stories by men with whiskey breath who claimed to be telling the truth. Saw bars so long it took all week to sharpen the chain. Chain saws without chains that could saw wood, chains that rode outside the bar. The smell of 2cycle mix watered my eyes. Malls and Disston on the shelf. Two man saws. And a 38 pound 090 from 1968 collecting dust, my fingers sneaked a lovin' pat on the monster. None were for sale, when I finnaly staggered out into the sunlight again, folks on the street may have thought I was looking for my DeLorean. [google: back to the future.]
It must have been chainsaw heaven, haven't gone back....... yet.
Its a half a state away, here in Oregon. In New England that would be from Concord, New Hampshire to New York city in distance.
My question is this. Do I dare go back with my digital camera and put the pictures on AS, or will the exposure exploit my relationship with the saw shop owners?
Regards, Knoth0g

Take the photos...

If you shoot some photos and post them here, I don't see why they would mind, if they are collectors. Here in the little remote valley that we live in is a 96 year old woman that has what she calls 'museums'. Basically they are buildings and garages to keep her momentos and memorbilia. She has a Cat Ten, over 1,000 license plates from the US and Canada, all kinds of collectible stuff, and a lot of logging stuff.

I would like to see a real logging museum around here. Hard hats and old engines, chainsaws, photos, etc. We have found so much mill and yarding equipment on this property it is insane. Along the small creek here was a mill or mills at some point. The old timers here say that just about every creek here had a mill before 1960. There is the old saw box and aseveral huge rusted blades. The blades have funny teeth on them. Symetric and pointed like you see in cartoons. No curve to them. Also there are some old rubber dams and piping to feed the mill with water. I found some olf 1930's stype car fenders in there recently, along with some old sunken engine blocks.

There was also a log flume that ran rough cut timbers from the large mill that was upstream of us 100 years ago to what was the town mill 5 miles away. It ran along the big creek that cuts through our property. Nothing left of the flume (all wood), but we have a large berm behind the house here that runs perpendicular to the natural flow of the water that was used to divert the small creeks to feed the flume. I did not know why the berm was there (made no sence with the natural contour of the property) until we were hiking in the Cascades along a similar berm and at the trail head was a story board with a historical description of a water flume built up there over 100 years ago for gold mining. Then I saw some potos of the old log flume here, and it clicked. Up there I have found several old yarding reels, old rusted out wide-front chainsaw bars, and some other machinery pieces. Seems that they used an old steam shovel to build the berm with and some of the stuff broke or was abandoned there. There are cables all over the property here. Some half buried, some snapped, some in burn piles. I have found at least a dozen. Also rusted out steel of all types now buried in piles... from some projects long ago.

We also found a lot of small gauge rail around the property and I figured it was junk that someone previously had hauled in here. The previous owners left engine blocks, a tractor-trailer rig, and a lot of steel tanks and stuff here, along with an old rusted out Cat. The price of steel was high last summer and we got a bid to remove it all for 'free'. It was an eyesore. Anyway, the 96 year old woman told us that a small narrow gauge railroad was put in through here about 80 years ago from the 'other' small town near here. So the narrow rail was actually leftover from a narrow guage railroad that no one else remembers or has even heard of.

All these towns were booming back then. Even this one, which is still on the map, but there is no town left out here. All that is left is the old dance hall that the neighbors own across the street. Several old towns around here are no longer. Not ghost towns, as the mill equipment was usually stripped and moved in those days and the rest burned, flooded out or rotted away. The old post office was on this porperty someplace. Several old houses and barns were here over the years. The bard we have now was built in the 1950's, and replaced an older one. On some of the old building sites stuff bubbles up out of the gournd all the time. Like in the movie Poulterguist. I find green army men and toys in the gardens tilling all the time.

We have added some stuff to this place too. We put in a RR bridge across the big creek last fall. 80+ ft long, 20+ tons. It ties the property together, as there are pastures on either side of the creek. My girlfriend got a grant for the bridge. It took 3 years of meetigns, discussions, people coming out to do surveys, put in little flags, and talk up a storm. The actual bridge placment took all of 3 days with 2 D-9 Cats. 3 years of squabbling for 3 days of actual work. The government for you.

Well, I digress... but take the photos and post 'em!

Latest posts

Back