Hey Guys I Got You Some Pics!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
this is a picture of veneer white oak on a patch that i am supposed to cut this fall once the crops are out. i leaned a 4' scale stick against it for reference...
calebschainsaw004-1.jpg

these are some pics from this morning...laying into a big water oak(Pin Oak) the new 660 w/24" powermatch
just for a little reference
calebschainsaw005-1.jpg

laying into it
calebschainsaw006-1.jpg

let 'er eat!!!
calebschainsaw007-1.jpg

starting the notch
calebschainsaw008-1.jpg

evening the notch up a bit
calebschainsaw009-1.jpg

calebschainsaw010.jpg

cutting the side notch
calebschainsaw011.jpg

cutting the notch out of the other side
calebschainsaw012.jpg

calebschainsaw013.jpg

boring out the heart
calebschainsaw014.jpg

getting ready to turn 'er loose
calebschainsaw015.jpg

TIMBER!!!
calebschainsaw016.jpg

Getting a gameplan
calebschainsaw017.jpg

calebschainsaw018.jpg

Trimming up the butt
calebschainsaw019.jpg

calebschainsaw036.jpg

pulling the butt log
calebschainsaw037.jpg

calebschainsaw038.jpg

calebschainsaw039.jpg

calebschainsaw040.jpg

floating the front wheels!! the front end of the skidder was so light due to the weight of the log that the machine wanted to go in a straight line
calebschainsaw041.jpg

calebschainsaw042.jpg

another limb log
calebschainsaw043.jpg

Last edited:
good pics their but a question for you, why don't you run that 66 with a larger bar it would make felling a little easy

at the widest point the stump was 6'5" (77" across) with an overall average of about 6'1"-6'2"(73-74") across, got 6 logs total with the butt log haveing right at 1000bft it in. as for the cutting low to the ground it utlizes the most out of the tree and make the machine able to run over the top of them

the stump
calebschainsaw046.jpg

calebschainsaw047.jpg

good pics their but a question for you, why don't you run that 66 with a larger bar it would make felling a little easy

I typically run the 24" bar because the bulk of the trees i cut are in the 3-4' range. and yes this would have been a good time for me to have a 3 footer, but i dont' have one right now, so i was making due with what i had, the 36" is on the to-get list. and cutting oak and hickory sure does suck up alot of power-and i don't need a 36" all the timie....

HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY THE PICS!!!:chainsaw: :chainsawguy:

Great thread! Keep them coming!What was that 1 tree worth?

the one that i cut wasn't anything special, as far as grade is concerned, delivered to the mill it will only bring around 30 cents/bft, and with prolly 2000 bft in the entire tree=$600, but as for the white oak-the bottom log alone should bring a couple grand.....hopefully

Last edited:
Nice tree, I don't see hardwoods like that, mostly softwood with the odd maple tree down further south on Vancouver Island. You don't wear any chaps or protective pants when you run a saw, how come?

i used to wear chaps.....even had them save my leg once...doesn't make sense but i don't wear them anymore, got a brand new set that ive never had on....doens't make sense i know..but i just wear the hard hat. i think this tree was only 60-80 years old-it just was on the right type of site and grew really fast.

Last edited:
Nice work!

Guessing you didn't have much if any hinge and a deep face cut as there was a bit of lean and you wanted to avoid the typical basal tearing that oaks (and big trees) can do when set down slow or with plenty of hinge, normally i'd pick the crap outa this thread but sure seems like you've done a bit of this in your time? (Nice with no :censored: hinge spears or cavity to "tidy up" good clean butt on her, sweet!)

Always funny watchin the old tractor tyres runnin up over stumps left too high, your lookin after your skida boy there! (And gettin max log outa that tree, well done!)

You ever plunge in through the base cut of your face (scarf as we call them) so you have a centre relief then work around the sides without the side flare relief or guess you gotta take em off anyways?

I used to run an 088 with 26" (404 skip of course) on it allot and loved it, in big timber it was a treat and not bad to climb with either, had the 60" and the 36" but 26" was good for anything and the speed you needed was dynamite, I'm with you there on that one...:chainsaw:

Guessing you didn't have much if any hinge and a deep face cut as there was a bit of lean and you wanted to avoid the typical basal tearing that oaks (and big trees) can do when set down slow or with plenty of hinge, normally i'd pick the crap outa this thread but sure seems like you've done a bit of this in your time? (Nice with no :censored: hinge spears or cavity to "tidy up" good clean butt on her, sweet!)

Always funny watchin the old tractor tyres runnin up over stumps left too high, your lookin after your skida boy there! (And gettin max log outa that tree, well done!)

You ever plunge in through the base cut of your face (scarf as we call them) so you have a centre relief then work around the sides without the side flare relief or guess you gotta take em off anyways?

I used to run an 088 with 26" (404 skip of course) on it allot and loved it, in big timber it was a treat and not bad to climb with either, had the 60" and the 36" but 26" was good for anything and the speed you needed was dynamite, I'm with you there on that one...:chainsaw:

my hinge was two "ears" on each corner of the face cut...in one of the pics you can see where one of the "ears" starting pulling a root up out of the ground the reason for the deep face cut was because i bored into the face cut and then notched the sides and bored in through them...the tree was 77" across and i only had a 24" bar. and if you leave the heart holding in oak it with split. and yes ive done this once or twice. im gonna get a 36" bar to i don't have to widdle on them so much..i did used to have a 084 w/ a 24" bar-u could pretty well stand on that thing..thanks for the kind words

my hinge was two "ears" on each corner of the face cut...in one of the pics you can see where one of the "ears" starting pulling a root up out of the ground the reason for the deep face cut was because i bored into the face cut and then notched the sides and bored in through them...the tree was 77" across and i only had a 24" bar. and if you leave the heart holding in oak it with split. and yes ive done this once or twice. im gonna get a 36" bar to i don't have to widdle on them so much..i did used to have a 084 w/ a 24" bar-u could pretty well stand on that thing..thanks for the kind words

nice looking oak good falling job how many of them bad boys did you put down in a day?

this was the only tree of that size on the job, alot of the trees are averaging around the 4' mark. alot of the trees have been very wooly and have taken alot of topping (time consuming) darn trees look like pin cushions because of all the limbs, and ive been averaging around 30 trees a day, dropped, topped, skidded and bucked. but i got into better timber at the end of the day and got the skid roads set up so the next few days should be smooth sailing and should be able to move alot of timber. hopefully

this was the only tree of that size on the job, alot of the trees are averaging around the 4' mark. alot of the trees have been very wooly and have taken alot of topping (time consuming) darn trees look like pin cushions because of all the limbs, and ive been averaging around 30 trees a day, dropped, topped, skidded and bucked. but i got into better timber at the end of the day and got the skid roads set up so the next few days should be smooth sailing and should be able to move alot of timber. hopefully

right on are you doing the skidding two the pic's of the 660 make me miss mine i hope dean sends it back to me soon.How much timber do you have on that block.

Back