hey look its that guy pullin with the van again...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ya I did it again.
1.5 cords 40 miles no problems .
Picture002-1.jpg

you are a better man than me, i'm having trouble getting around with 4wd tractor and dump trailer, still lots of snow and ice.
not much frost in the ground, so lots of mud also ..

I can't say I have ever seen a mini van pulling as big of a trailer as that one, but as long as it gets the job done that is what it is all about!

Bassman..... i mean this respectfully, but you are out of your mind !

I have a diesel F350 and a 6x10, tandem axle (7000 lb) dump trailer, and when i have a strong cord in it i FEEL it.

A cord and a half in a single axle trailer behind a caravan/voyager is a disaster waiting to happen, in my opinion. :dizzy:

For as long as you can pull it off, kudos to you!

I also mean this respectfully, but I agree you're out of your mind. Do you realize the liability you'd have if some moron decided to pull out in front of you with that rig? Your insurance company would laugh at you. Even if an accident is somebody else's fault, if you're over the manufacturer's weight rating you are in a deep pile of doodoo. You could buy a dozen heavy-duty pickups for what one accident would cost you.

That's exactly why I asked the questions in my previous post. I know what a 7x14 tandem feels like wiht just over one cord behind a F-350. My "family" vehicle is a Windstar minivan and there is NO WAY I'd even try to put more than 1/2 cord behind that minivan. I'm having trouble imagining 1 1/2 cords on a single axle trailer with no more tire sag than I see in the picture.

Are you SURE of your quantities? Could you mean 1 1/2 FACE cords? Is it green wood or dry?

that is a full cord specs.
the tires were leaning in and braking was very hard as there is alot of green wood on there .
would have been nice to have lights but they didn't have a connector...oh well.
the trip took just over 2 hours and I hit a max speed of 35mph and passed 1 truck as the road I was on is very out of the way in the winter .
I hear what you guys are saying as I travel alot in the US and I would never attempt anything like this on a 4 lane highway but I live in a small city that you can do stuff like this and be ok.
in the distance you can see my pa gear trailer that I don't pull much anymore as I have bought smaller gear and can fit it all in a car but even then I was not all that confident pulling it.
my father in law has a new 32 foot camper he pulls with a new chevy half ton with a fancy hitch and I still feel unsafe in it.
I have a friend that has a peterbuilt semi with a sleeper house on it and it is made to pull and when hooked up to a 52 foot trailer full of sugar he has limited brakes so when I drive I respect all truckers pulling anykind of load .
you guys pulling 2 cords of wood with any rig are taking a gamble if you had to stop in a split second.
be safe

you guys pulling 2 cords of wood with any rig are taking a gamble if you had to stop in a split second.
be safe

i haul wood on a ton truck, i'd be more confident pulling two cords in that, than a half cord behind a minivan...its just not made for it...it sounds like you stuck to back roads, and a low speed, but thats still one of the dumber things i've seen this week. i can't imagine that your front tires had much weight at all left on them, and those are the two that do the massive majority of your stopping, and all of your steering...stay off of my roads...

Yeah, you can pull it, but if something goes wrong, you CANNOT stop it, and I hope you don't hurt anybody.

Idiot.

bahhh, I'm not afraid to pull a stinkin cord!!! haha:cheers: One of the crapiest times I've had pulling, lost my trailer brakes, and smoked my front brakes!!! Got a new brake controller the next day.
attachment.php

I am not going to bash you for the load you carried, but it isn't safe for you or others. If that van stops fast, I would imagine the trailer won't stop and will just run right into, or through, the van. What about the wildlife in your area? You can't predict when a deer will jump out(or a moose) and then you will take it from both ends. Saving money is never more important than human life.

I can appreciate trying to make ends meet and not waste any fuel, etc. by using a smaller vehicle, but if something happens to you, or family, or a stranger, it will leave you(or a family member) with nothing but a lifetime of regret.

I used to load my pickup and trailer to the brim and not tie it down. No one ever got hurt, but it took members on this site to make me see just how dangerous(and how lucky) I was that nothing had ever fallen off and hit somebody while I was on the road. Now, I take the extra 10 minutes and tie my load down so I know I am as safe as I can be.

:D I've got a 96 Town&Country thats on its 5th tranny,I'm afraid to haul ANYthing with it.

This last season I was hauling a 5x8x4 full of dry slab wood, nicely packed in there in my Grand Caravan :) No issues, handled it very well and braking was not an issue. Sure, if it were all green, that might of been another issue entirely, but you need to plan your loads. I needed the wood, my Ranger was down with engine issues, so either do or do without. I'll admit I did keep it about 50mph on the highway and slower on the back roads and i guess the 7 - 11 mpg milage sucked :p

Tes

Last edited:
you must have extra money for trannies. but you gotta do what you gotta do. heck when i was younger and trimming trees we would load an old 71 chevy 1 ton with the brush, several times i wound be going down the road and i know the tires was bouncing up off the road. we had to offload some once cause the tires was off the ground. it aint safe but it gets it done.

I have brought home many a load of wood this way and no tranny problems other than that one I paid at the truck stop for some oral treats but thats a story for another time...
van has almost 300 k and still runs like new so it is all about knowing how to get the job done with what you have and what the limits are .
to the ass!@#$ that called me an idiot you can go screw as that was uncalled for !! I did not put anyone in harms way as I traveled a road that was almost never used this time of year and stayed away from high traffic areas .
I have been involved in testing for a trailer company that sells all kinds of trailers and anything you pull effects what your pulling it with in many ways.
I will agree that my van is not the best for pulling a 2 cord load but it still can be done just not at 70 mph ..
I also worked a summer pulling b trains around a feed yard with a 1/4 ton when the yard semi was getting a rebuild.

Well I guess you don't have many hills on your way home with the wood - or maybe this would happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Xygo2054Q

I have an S10 that I have probably hauled too much weight behind, but it is a stick shift and I have never been overloaded to the point that it has been a strain - just a little slow up the hills. Emergency stops would be long and I recently got a smaller/lighter trailer and that should help considerably.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back