Hey Saw Troll did ya read Solid Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jra1100

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I read an article about a book which is causing some controversy in Norway. It's call Solid Wood and is all about cutting, splitting, and stacking wood. Seems some think that the wood was stacked wrong, half say it should be bark side up, and half think it should be bark down. This book was such a success that they made a TV show about it which was several hours of watching guys cut, split and stack wood, followed by 4 hours of watching a live fire burn in a fireplace.

Now this show might be pretty popular with AS members, but I doubt that many other folks would tune in. The ratings were pretty high in Norway though. Just thought I'd see if the Troll had a chance to read the book or watch the show. JR

I read an article about a book which is causing some controversy in Norway. It's call Solid Wood and is all about cutting, splitting, and stacking wood. Seems some think that the wood was stacked wrong, half say it should be bark side up, and half think it should be bark down. This book was such a success that they made a TV show about it which was several hours of watching guys cut, split and stack wood, followed by 4 hours of watching a live fire burn in a fireplace.

Now this show might be pretty popular with AS members, but I doubt that many other folks would tune in. The ratings were pretty high in Norway though. Just thought I'd see if the Troll had a chance to read the book or watch the show. JR

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/world/europe/in-norway-tv-program-on-firewood-elicits-passions.html?smid=tw-share

I thought I was supposed to spend $10GR on a cement floor fully enclosed, climate and humidity controlled shop to store my wood in with moisture drains cut into the concrete and continuous forced air moving through the building.

I thought it was bark down except for the top then bark up to run off the rain. What do I know. Or just cover it with a tarp.

"“I couldn’t go to bed because I was so excited,” a viewer called niesa36 said on the Dagbladet newspaper Web site. “When will they add new logs? Just before I managed to tear myself away, they must have opened the flue a little, because just then the flames shot a little higher.""

If it wasnt for the article, I would have thought the Norweigan firewood banter/ argument was a joke... Next thing ya know, they will start arguing about 50cc saws and sideways balance! haha

I thought I was supposed to spend $10GR on a cement floor fully enclosed, climate and humidity controlled shop to store my wood in with moisture drains cut into the concrete and continuous forced air moving through the building.

In OZZIE land u stack firewood barkside up to shed rain,but it don,t rain enough to affect drying anyway:msp_rolleyes: u would only stack firewood if u needed to be neat or had time to kill ,otherwise wood dries almost as quick in piles if u have the room to just dump the splits.wood left to bake in the sun,and get air dries quick here,different climate,different needs.Our hardwoods sink like a stone if put in water because of their density ,rain only wets the surface and doesn,t penetrate to any degree worth worrying about.We don,t tarp wood,it wood be like putting wet clothes in ur wardrobe and would not dry just stink.:hmm3grin2orange:

I watched parts of the show, but haven't read the book. It is true that the book was a major sales success on the market, but I can't really comment on the contents.

NRK strikes again!

I read the book and watched the show, or at least the first hour. That's all I could take. The highlight was right at the beginning: a brief shot of a guy balancing his Fiskars Super Splitter on his chin. It went downhill from there. How NRK could take a subject as interesting as wood burning and make it so boring is beyond me. It takes a special talent (of a type that seems in abundance at NRK). At one point they were talking about felling Sitka spruce and the prop they used (in the barn scene) was a small Stihl top-handle saw, without a chain! (Although one of them did run his thumb along the bar, as though it were a blade!) When they were actually felling the tree they used a larger Stihl, together with a felling bar, which was admittedly a bit interesting. There was a lot of attention paid to "stabler", or wood stacks. This was a theme of the book--that you can tell a lot about a person from their wood stacks.

Speaking of the book, "Hel Ved", it was much better than the show. I was one of the many who received it as a Christmas present (a year ago). It was written by an accomplished author who writes well, but does not have any special expertise when it comes to heating with wood. As a Norwegian he does have some knowledge of the subject, and he did some research, so the book was certainly not a disaster. It has some interesting anecdotes and lots of interesting photos. I recommend it to those who can read Norwegian. Hopefully it get translated at some point for the rest of you.

I had high hopes for the TV show, but I should have known better! NRK strikes again! :hmm3grin2orange:

Doug (not my Norwegian name)

Back